G5 athletic dept deficits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: G5 athletic dept deficits

Post by Gunk »

nickdutson wrote:What makes you think BYU athletics is in the black? I work at Deseret Digital Media which is owned by the church. This is the parent company to dozens of other companies including desnews and ksl. Both are in the red each year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Course they are. They can't attract advertisers.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

BOID wrote:
nickdutson wrote:What makes you think BYU athletics is in the black? I work at Deseret Digital Media which is owned by the church. This is the parent company to dozens of other companies including desnews and ksl. Both are in the red each year.

I fail to see how this constitutes any evidence or argument that BYU football is not financially solvent. Or is this just another troll comment?

But it probably explains the price of tea in China

nickdutson
BLUEshirt

Post by nickdutson »

ABYUFAN wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

Because we get updates each year about the general state of the athletic department each year in the Cougar Club.
And you would trust those lying weasels in the Cougar Club over a nameless internet poster and his representation about his “job” working in an unrelated field for a corporation that is tangentially similar to the subject of the discussion? C’mon!
I manage all the sites there. Let me know if you would like proof. I'll add a meta tag in the source code if you absolutely need to proof. Let me know what you want me to add so I can shut you up.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

So how is it that Air Force has such a greater deficit than Army ($24.2 MM)? I'm puzzling over that one unless it's because Army has more endowments from more years of alumni.

nickdutson
BLUEshirt

Post by nickdutson »

BOID wrote:

I fail to see how this constitutes any evidence or argument that BYU football is not financially solvent. Or is this just another troll comment?

You guys make it seem that because it's owned by the church they only operate in the black. I know thats not the case with many of their businesses. Quit trolling. Never said BYU doesn't. Simply asked a question. Calm the F down.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

EM_Puma wrote:So how is it that Air Force has such a greater deficit than Army ($24.2 MM)? I'm puzzling over that one unless it's because Army has more endowments from more years of alumni.
Army's been selling its tanks faster than the AF has been selling its Raptors.... ;)

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

nickdutson wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

Because we get updates each year about the general state of the athletic department each year in the Cougar Club.
And you would trust those lying weasels in the Cougar Club over a nameless internet poster and his representation about his “job” working in an unrelated field for a corporation that is tangentially similar to the subject of the discussion? C’mon!
I manage all the sites there. Let me know if you would like proof. I'll add a meta tag in the source code if you absolutely need to proof. Let me know what you want me to add so I can shut you up.
It's a bit much to believe someone foolishly stating that those two Church owned entities are in the red and expect that such a statement doesn't violate the disclosure agreement you would have had to sign annually to not divulge finance issues of your corporation. I'm having a bit of a problem with that notion and therefore believing any of this to be legit. Good try.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

nickdutson wrote:
BOID wrote:

You guys make it seem that because it's owned by the church they only operate in the black. I know thats not the case with many of their businesses. Quit trolling. Never said BYU doesn't. Simply asked a question. Calm the F down.
You're asking us to quit trolling and calm the f down?? Good one.

And I haven't seen anyone mention that church operated business never are in the red... Trolling much?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The new Equity in Athletics data for the 2015 year for BYU has been just posted.

Total revenues of $62,563,279
Total expenses of $54,429,683

Net profit for BYU for the year of about $8.1 million.

IIRC, $59 million revenue for BYU in 2014 so an increase of 3 million or so or about 5%.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Time for BYU to start buying another payday home game against a Sun Belt, CUSA, or MAC opponent (or even an MWC foe...)! Ie, so BYU plays an FCS opponent and a lower G5 opponent as one-and-done games at home every year.

Even if you had to dip entirely into profits to pay for the game, it would help BYU get the extra home game benefits. It would give BYU flexibility to balance schedules and perhaps even more neutral-site games. And, it helps shifts the BYU-is-P5 narrative, because this is exactly what big time football programs do.

But, I'm not convinced that BYU would even have to dip into profits much at all. BYU would get the additional revenue from tickets sales and TV for an additional home game. BYU can afford this. Even if profit neutral or a net loss (additional profits from extra home game minus payday payment made to the visiting team), BYU should seriously consider this.