Didn't remember Ty being so elusive

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Didn't remember Ty being so elusive

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I went back and looked at some old highlights of Ty Detmer, as well as other past QBs. I didn't remember Ty being so elusive, but man, he must have seemed as slippery as a greased eel in an oil factory to the defense. He wasn't terribly fast, but he was athletic enough to bail on a pass play that wasn't there and get 10 or 15 yards before sliding or diving to avoid contact. He also threw a better ball than many of the ducks I remember. Its funny how your memory changes over time.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Didn't remember Ty being so elusive

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Agreed. And, it was IMO less about his foot speed and more about eyes on all sides of his head. He had pocket presence and as good of a knowledge of the game of football as any BYU football player, including where players on O and D were and where they were going to be, that allowed him to exploit defenses--oh, and an OC who not just utilized his strengths but paired them in perfect harmony. Taysom has eyes to run and the legs to back it up....just not the lower risk probability context that a drop back passer has. Then again, two speared shoulders on two different plays, took Ty out in a major way. But he made it to The finish line that mattered.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Didn't remember Ty being so elusive

Post by hawkwing »

I'll just leave this here.