Mike Riley headed to NEB. Bronco to Or.St. Rumors Begin.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Mike Riley headed to NEB. Bronco to Or.St. Rumors Begin.

Post by snoscythe »

Coaching carousel is now in full swing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -bo-pelini" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McElwain (from CSU) accepted the Florida job today as well.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Mike Riley headed to NEB. Bronco to Or.St. Rumors Begin.

Post by SpiffCoug »

I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?

I don't think Bronco would go to Oregon St. But maybe.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

And how is Riley better than Pelini? Pelini was 9-3 this season, Riley 5-7 and only 93-80 as a coach.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

byufan4ever wrote:And how is Riley better than Pelini? Pelini was 9-3 this season, Riley 5-7 and only 93-80 as a coach.
This seems like a panic hire, but I am sure Nebraska knows more than I do.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

They want someone who has recruiting ties to California and a personality that will connect with a passionate fan base. Pellini couldn't do either, Reilly will. Reilly has the intangibles and is a very good and well respected coach. Solid hire for Nebraska.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Wolverine wrote:They want someone who has recruiting ties to California and a personality that will connect with a passionate fan base. Pellini couldn't do either, Reilly will. Reilly has the intangibles and is a very good and well respected coach. Solid hire for Nebraska.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I'm not seeing a lot of California kids with talent choosing Nebraska over, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, or Stanford. But I could be wrong about that. Riley seems like a classy guy, so I hope he does well.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote:I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?

It might be going out on a limb, but if I were Oregon State I'd go after Sitake--he'd corner some polys who want to play in the PAC12 and on the west coast.....

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

BoiseBYU wrote:

It might be going out on a limb, but if I were Oregon State I'd go after Sitake--he'd corner some polys who want to play in the PAC12 and on the west coast.....
I was on a drive for a good chunk of the day and the sports radio talk is that the knock on Sitake is no head coaching experience. Reportedly Matt Wells from Utah State and Bronco have also been mentioned in connection to Oregon State. But they believe that Sitake would be the best hire out of those 3 because he has proven they can slow the best offenses in the PAC with his defense and they might want to go with that. Although word is OSU suffers from a lack of institutional support and is one of the only schools in the PAC to not have upgraded their facilities with all the PAC money that came in with the last contract. So that makes recruiting kind of tough.

I also wonder if this makes Brayden Kearsley question his transfer. Wasn't he going to OSU?

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Fido wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:

I was on a drive for a good chunk of the day and the sports radio talk is that the knock on Sitake is no head coaching experience. Reportedly Matt Wells from Utah State and Bronco have also been mentioned in connection to Oregon State. But they believe that Sitake would be the best hire out of those 3 because he has proven they can slow the best offenses in the PAC with his defense and they might want to go with that. Although word is OSU suffers from a lack of institutional support and is one of the only schools in the PAC to not have upgraded their facilities with all the PAC money that came in with the last contract. So that makes recruiting kind of tough.

I also wonder if this makes Brayden Kearsley question his transfer. Wasn't he going to OSU?
Is there any talk nationally about Sitake? There's a lot of local talk it seems but he's a defensive coordinator using the system of the old defensive coordinator who just happens to be the very controlling head coach.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The real issue at Oregon State is they want to pay their head coach less than the 2 million that they were paying for Riley.

Oregon State will drop to the bottom of the Pac 12, yes even below Colorado, now that Riley is gone. They have done nothing with the new TV money to upgrade their athletic department, especially compared to the other 11 teams in their league.

The parallels between BYU and Oregon State are kind of eerie. If Bronco leaves, it will have a similar effect on BYU's program that Riley leaving OSU will have. (Unless Bronco goes to OSU, then they'll be really good.)