When was the last time the BYU offense tricked you?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: When was the last time the BYU offense tricked you?

Post by Stirfry »

BlueIsBetter wrote:That one time that we didn't dive up the A gap on the first down of any drive.

I am also still shocked to see that BYU doesn't know how to perform a running back screen. And, to his credit, Doman did have one good play call with the shovel pass. That always fooled everyone. (Maybe because it went for positive yards?)
Thank play needs to come back. It was awesome.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

BlueIsBetter wrote:That one time that we didn't dive up the A gap on the first down of any drive.

I am also still shocked to see that BYU doesn't know how to perform a running back screen. And, to his credit, Doman did have one good play call with the shovel pass. That always fooled everyone. (Maybe because it went for positive yards?)
:whistle: Here we go again...

I could do this for every game, because the result would be similar, but here's just the Cal game http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbypla ... 2&period=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First, count the number of drives: 14

Next, subtract the drives that were garbage end-of-half drives, where you should be kneeling out the clock or running up the middle anyway: 14 - 2 = 12

Next, subtract the number drives that started with a pass: 12 - 5 = 7

Next, subtract the number of remaining drives where we got a first down, because the first play call was clearly not a problem there: 7 - 7 = BIG FAT ZERO.

In fact, our only 3-and-out of the game began on a pass, and 4 of 6 touchdown-scoring drives began on a run, including the two long passing touchdowns. Those kind of plays don't happen if you don't keep the defense honest by running it right up the middle, and 1st and 10 is one of the best times to call it. And with a guy like Tejan Koroma at center, why would you not want to run up the A-gap? That's a guy you want to let get out there and smack people early and often. He's your meanest, nastiest OL, and teams generally like to run behind whoever that is, wherever he's playing. And in fact, our longest run of the game was an A-gap run, off an inside zone read. Nobody pulled or did anything fancy.

Your premise is false, we have a lot more variety than you think on the first play of drives. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support the idea that running inside on the first play of the drive is a bad idea, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it was a good idea, at least in the last game.

Do you have any reason whatsoever for hating this play? Or are you just one of those people that thinks we should immediately fire the OC if any single play goes for less than 5 yards?

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

redneckjedi wrote:

I could do this for every game, because the result would be similar, but here's just the Cal game http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbypla ... 2&period=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next, subtract the drives that were garbage end-of-half drives, where you should be kneeling out the clock or running up the middle anyway: 14 - 2 = 12

Next, subtract the number of remaining drives where we got a first down, because the first play call was clearly not a problem there: 7 - 7 = BIG FAT ZERO.

In fact, our only 3-and-out of the game began on a pass, and 4 of 6 touchdown-scoring drives began on a run, including the two long passing touchdowns. Those kind of plays don't happen if you don't keep the defense honest by running it right up the middle, and 1st and 10 is one of the best times to call it. And with a guy like Tejan Koroma at center, why would you not want to run up the A-gap? That's a guy you want to let get out there and smack people early and often. He's your meanest, nastiest OL, and teams generally like to run behind whoever that is, wherever he's playing. And in fact, our longest run of the game was an A-gap run, off an inside zone read. Nobody pulled or did anything fancy.

Your premise is false, we have a lot more variety than you think on the first play of drives. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support the idea that running inside on the first play of the drive is a bad idea, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it was a good idea, at least in the last game.

Do you have any reason whatsoever for hating this play? Or are you just one of those people that thinks we should immediately fire the OC if any single play goes for less than 5 yards?
We got a first downs against Cal? Nobody does that!!! That's like UNpossible!

It's a predictable playcall. Why don't you pull up the numbers for our "best" opponent this year and see how effective it is.

I don't care about the play, I care about the playcaller, and he is miserable.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Last planned trick play: Steve Young handoff to Eddie Stinnett for a sweep right. Stinnett stops and throws back to Young, just out of reach of a Mizzou player, who runs for the TD in the Holiday bowl.

Last unplanned trick play. Riley Nelson faking the "stop the clock" ball downing and throwing a TD in the Bowl game.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:

We got a first downs against Cal? Nobody does that!!! That's like UNpossible!

It's a predictable playcall. Why don't you pull up the numbers for our "best" opponent this year and see how effective it is.

I don't care about the play, I care about the playcaller, and he is miserable.
You want more numbers, you pull them yourself - these already speak for themselves. Anae was 1 drive-opening pass away from being 50/50 run/pass during the last game. That's statistically the same as a coin flip, and the opposite of predictable - and, consequently, the opposite of what you claim.

Even if Anae were on the predictable side - which he wasn't - you, as usual, completely ignore the strategic value in keeping an opponent honest, so that when you do decide to pass, it's more open, and in running to set up later downs such that run and pass are both viable options.

Finally, I recommend against a career as a trial lawyer or politician - asking your opponent for evidence to back up your claim is not ever going to work for you.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Sigh. Round and round. If you like him, great. I dont. Call it a matter of preference, and move on :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Sigh. Round and round. If you like him, great. I dont. Call it a matter of preference, and move on :)

But wait, I need your opinion to be my opinion. This helps me feel validated (tic).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:Image
... or CANDY!!!