QB Trent Hosick decomits, opens up recruitment

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Trent Hosick decomits, opens up recruitment

Post by Fido »

http://byu.247sports.com/Article/QB-Tre ... e-33476392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arizona Western C.C. quarterback Trent Hosick has had a solid year in helping the Matadors to a 10-1 regular season record and a No. 5 national ranking. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound dual-threat prospect has thrown for 1,113 yards and 11 touchdowns and run for another 574 yards and 11 scores.

Hosick, who started his career at Missouri, had committed to BYU before ever enrolling at Arizona Western. However, he made a decision very recently to open his recruitment again.

“To be honest, I just committed a little early,” Hosick said. “I think there maybe were some schools that were interested in me that were hesitant to maybe pull the trigger on an offer because I was committed. I want to explore all the options that are available to me.”

In the couple of days since his decommitment, Hosick has already seen interest from a couple of schools.

“I just decommitted on Sunday but I had talked to Oregon a couple weeks ago,” he said on Tuesday morning. “Last night I talked to the Ole Miss coaches for about an hour and I will probably talk to them again tonight. There was a Big Ten school who called about me but I’m not which one just yet.”

There was some talk that Texas A&M had started showing Hosick interest as well as the Aggies have a young starting quarterback in true freshman Kyle Allen and had two games this season without a scholarship backup available. While Hosick says he himself has not heard from A&M, it is a school in which he is definitely interested.

“I saw that online and wasn’t sure if they had maybe talked to my coach or something,” Hosick said of A&M. “I would love to hear from them though. They have a wide-open offense that I really like and I could see myself fitting in there for sure.”

As far as schools he would like to hear from, Hosick mentioned a particular SEC school.

“I don’t know what Auburn needs with Nick Marshall graduating but that’s another program I like,” he said. “Coach (Gus) Malzahn recruited me out of high school and I would love for him to do so again.”

A class of 2013 prospect out of Kansas City (Mo.) Staley, Hosick redshirted at Missouri and is set to graduate in December so he will enroll at his school of choice in January with three years to play three and be able to participate in spring ball. With his decommitment from BYU being so recent, he has not set up any official visits yet but is looking to do so quickly.

Hosick finishes his junior college career this weekend as Arizona Western takes on No. 11 Central Lakes C.C. in the El Toro Bowl on Saturday.

mormonrasta
Junior

Re: QB Trent Hosick decomits, opens up recruitment

Post by mormonrasta »

Frustrating. We really need depth at the QB position.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

He really wants to start so a couple of those backup offers don't match what he is looking for. If I was the coach I would tell him that he would play some this year even though TH is the starter. Put in the playbook, some "wildcat plays" and some plays with TH in the slot because the NFL wants to see him play there. He would get some reps because TH could go down again. And for spring ball he is the starter.

Maybe we can keep him.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Meh.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

Any big time program that can promise him a starting role I believe will land him.
Taysom getting hurt and now coming back for his senior season pretty much relegated Hosnick to back up status. Though if history is any indicator, Taysom can't stay healthy. :blush:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

stgeorgefan wrote:Any big time program that can promise him a starting role I believe will land him.
Taysom getting hurt and now coming back for his senior season pretty much relegated Hosnick to back up status.
Sure, but that's just one year; doesn't this kid have three to play three? Wouldn't it be nice to have a year to learn the ropes and possibly play if the injury-prone QB ahead of you goes down, and then have two years as THE guy? Oh well.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Kids don't think that way. They have never been patient. It's the here and now.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Schmoe wrote: ..... doesn't this kid have three to play three?
It is true - yes he do. ;)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Heard that he is leaning our way again. The other teams can't promise he will start. At the Y he would be the only QB at spring ball.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Interesting course of developments. It will be interesting to watch the drama unfold. Riveting. I am holding my breath. ;)