Would ANAE leave BYU to coach at Utah?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Would ANAE leave BYU to coach at Utah?

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Hans Olsen, take him for what he has become, reports that Robert and Kyle are good friends and have stated in past that they would like to coach together.
ANAE has PAC12 experience, OC experience, Rich Rod mentoring, etc.
Hans thinks he has probably been approached. He certainly would get more money at Utah.
Kyle has to be at least somewhat desperate, given he has had 8 OCs in 8 years and given there are not many possibilities out there this late in the football season cycle.
Could ANAE leave? I think so.
Would he leave? I'm really not sure. Was Atuaia's cryptic tweet a foreshadowing of knowing things are about to blow up at BYU? Would ANAE finish up Taysoms Sr. year and then leave? We know how much he loves the running QBs and what's not to love about TAYSOM, other than injuries.
Thoughts?

Fido
All Star

Re: Would ANAE leave BYU to coach at Utah?

Post by Fido »

I don't know. Sometimes all the speculation just feels more like fantasyland--and has been the MO of 1280thezone for quite some time now. They throw it out there and then when it doesn't happen they say "well, according to the information I had at the time.....then things obviously changed".

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I'd be really surprised. Anae doesn't appear to be the easiest personality to work with and he's a tenured coach that isn't going to be pushed around by a head coach. Exactly the opposite of Kyle Whittingham's ideal candidate.

I also really wonder about how sure most are that BYU coaches are that underpaid. He did leave a PAC12 school to come here.

My guess is Aaron Roderick and Morgan Scalley get the OC and DC jobs. If it's not them it will be another guy like Dave Christiansen was. Someone that was a great OC and then moved on to be a HC at a smaller program and it didn't work out.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If Anae is smart, he'll stay.

KWhitt is one bad season away from being fired and the fact he's chewed through 8 OCs in 8 years tells you something about how he treats his OCs. Anae would have to have some serious blinders on not to notice that. If the Utes don't perform well enough to expectations, KWhitt won't hesitate to throw Anae in front of the bus to save his own neck.

On the other hand, Bronco's job at BYU is fairly secure. When Bronco decides to leave, Anae will be in prime condition to take over as HC. It's about being in the right place at the right time and those odds are better at BYU.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Everything I've heard coming out of SLC and BYU indicates two things (1) Anae was approached, and declined, and (2) Whittingham will be promoting from within once he and Chris Hill come to some agreement on the terms of the promoted coaches' contracts.

Expect Scalley as DC (really just a "yes-man" for Whittingham), and Erickson/Roderick as Co-OCs on the other side.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I'd bet Roderick on the OC job. From what I hear, Erickson prefers just working with his players and giving input on the offense--not having to do the whole OC job.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

snoscythe wrote:Everything I've heard coming out of SLC and BYU indicates two things (1) Anae was approached, and declined, and (2) Whittingham will be promoting from within once he and Chris Hill come to some agreement on the terms of the promoted coaches' contracts.

Expect Scalley as DC (really just a "yes-man" for Whittingham), and Erickson/Roderick as Co-OCs on the other side.
It's also possible he's holding out until after signing day like he did when BJ was promoted. "Hey Elite 11 QB Travis Wilson, thanks for signing on. Oh by the way your OC will be the youngest OC ever. Sorry we didn't mention that yesterday."

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:Everything I've heard coming out of SLC and BYU indicates two things (1) Anae was approached, and declined, and (2) Whittingham will be promoting from within once he and Chris Hill come to some agreement on the terms of the promoted coaches' contracts.

Ugh, talk about uninspiring hires. Great news for BYU.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Comparatively, BYU assistants are underpaid by a lot. Anae took a position coach job at Arizona after he was the OC here the first time. I doubt his paycheck changed much between the two places. He probably got a little more now that he's also the assistant head coach (whatever that means).

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

hawkwing wrote:

Ugh, talk about uninspiring hires. Great news for BYU.
I heard that Scalley was involved in some recruiting infractions, and that's one of the things that got Hill upset with Kyle. We know Hill runs dirty programs, and he doesn't want too many things piquing the interest of the NCAA. I still don't know how Hill has a job.