Would ANAE leave BYU to coach at Utah?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Would ANAE leave BYU to coach at Utah?

Post by Cougs_Rule »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Everything I've heard coming out of SLC and BYU indicates two things (1) Anae was approached, and declined, and (2) Whittingham will be promoting from within once he and Chris Hill come to some agreement on the terms of the promoted coaches' contracts.

Expect Scalley as DC (really just a "yes-man" for Whittingham), and Erickson/Roderick as Co-OCs on the other side.
Ugh, talk about uninspiring hires. Great news for BYU.
I heard that Scalley was involved in some recruiting infractions, and that's one of the things that got Hill upset with Kyle. We know Hill runs dirty programs, and he doesn't want too many things piquing the interest of the NCAA. I still don't know how Hill has a job.

Four straight wins and a decade of domination vs BYU.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

I don't think so as the only reason Anae returned to BYU is because no one wants him as his offense is way too predictable and his play calling at times is strangely inexplicable. I also agree that Anae is staying put as he is holding out to be the next HC.

Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Ungoy »

Blueisbetter, is that you?

If you're going to bash Anae, at least look intelligent when doing so.

If Anae's offense was so predictable, BYU would not have averaged 37.1 points per game last season, 2/3 of which with a backup quarterback and almost as much without our best running back. What Anae was able to do with the offense last season with all the injuries was nothing short of masterful.

Last season, offense was not BYU's problem. With the exception of the USU and maybe UCF games, BYU scored enough points on offense to win every game if the defense could have played better. Defense was the primary issue in 2014. I swear people will pick on Anae unless he passes on every down, and only runs to the edges and never up the middle. Anae is not BYU's problem.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Masterful?

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a month. Thanks for that. He did good, but not masterful. If you call one (or two max) good quarter(s) per game against old WAC and Sunbelt teams masterful, then that is your prerogative. The defense was a problem, sure. Part of the defenses problem is always when offenses turn the ball over quickly or go on huge droughts of 3 and outs. There were definitely more than its fair share of those in the first and third quarters of the games.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Masterful?

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a month. Thanks for that. He did good, but not masterful. If you call one (or two max) good quarter(s) per game against old WAC and Sunbelt teams masterful, then that is your prerogative. The defense was a problem, sure. Part of the defenses problem is always when offenses turn the ball over quickly or go on huge droughts of 3 and outs. There were definitely more than its fair share of those in the first and third quarters of the games.
Blue, what exactly are the numbers by quarter on 3 and outs and turnovers broken down by quarters for the season? It would be interesting to know if the numbers support your argument.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Question: What's more predicable than a Robert Anae offense?
Answer: BlueIsBetter running his mouth against Robert Anae's offense... ;)

Do you really think that Robert Anae's playcalling is responsible for the 3 and outs and scoring droughts (especially during the losing skid)? Or could it possibly be the fact that for most of the season, BYU lost many of it's starting skill positions on offense including their QB and RB, and it took a while for the backups to start playing consistently? 2014 was pretty much an injury merry-go-round. Seriously, you have to be practically blind to be as myopic as you are.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Ungoy wrote:

Question: What's more predicable than a Robert Anae offense?
Answer: BlueIsBetter running his mouth against Robert Anae's offense... ;)

Do you really think that Robert Anae's playcalling is responsible for the 3 and outs and scoring droughts (especially during the losing skid)? Or could it possibly be the fact that for most of the season, BYU lost many of it's starting skill positions on offense including their QB and RB, and it took a while for the backups to start playing consistently? 2014 was pretty much an injury merry-go-round. Seriously, you have to be practically blind to be as myopic as you are.
Agree to disagree. The injuries factor in, which is why I think people in general are okay with the offense, grading on the curve as it were. It's also why I am not presently calling for his head (as per usual ;) ) because I think he did an okay job considering. You have to ... what was the word you used... myopic to pretend not to see that we played the worst schedule in the last decade, and we lost to some bad teams. If you look at the scoring breakdown by quarter, we score a lot in spurts (mostly one quarter, sometimes two) and get shut down for large spurts. The third quarter is our best quarter by far by the numbers. We score 47% of our points in one quarter, usually the third (sometimes the 2nd is the largest). Anae got shut down frequently by some of the worst defenses in college football. The team won, and the team lost as a group effort. But I reject the idea that we should lose to the Utah States and Nevada Renos of the world because some of our starters are out. Injuries happen to every team, every year. It isn't all on the defense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueIsBetter wrote: It isn't all on the defense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Nope. But most of it is.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Down vote on The down votes!!! I get why I get some but Down voting this post is just so 7th grade.