Bye Bye Dayan Lake......

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bye Bye Dayan Lake......

Post by beauso79 »

DB Dayan Lake just decommited per Doug Kimmel on Twitter......I mean would you want Howell as your coach?

Ddawg
All Star

Re: Bye Bye Dayan Lake......

Post by Ddawg »

This is not good. Lake is hoping for an offer from Utah or Az St. - perhaps both.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

You don't stay committed to a school for nearly two years and then two weeks before the signing day have a change of heart just because you want to go somewhere else.

Just my uninformed guess, but I think something happened here. Possibly grades or honor code related.

Or if he is hoping for an offer from another school, perhaps those schools got in his ear that he may not survive at BYU academically or socially and then he's lost a year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Dayan Lake made a curious comment -
"I didn't feel like things with BYU were really working out. I am still tripping there January 30th and am open to recommitting, but I want to see what else is out there."

My question is - exactly what wasn't working out? The Coaching Staff didn't call, txt, Twitter, and email him enough? I doubt it. More than likely it's the tough academic and HC requirements that are giving Dayan pause. I hope Dayan re-commits.

He's a quality athlete. We always need speed in our secondary. Lake has both size and speed. He's 5' 11" and runs the 40 in 4.39. He would be a huge contributor.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

beauso79 wrote:DB Dayan Lake just decommited per Doug Kimmel on Twitter......I mean would you want Howell as your coach?
As a position coach, Howell has shown that he can turn non-D1 athletes into a pretty dang good secondary, now as a defensive coordinator on the other hand...

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

He's a quality kid, he can fit in. It's a good sign that he will take his trip. I have not given up hope yet. If he comes he will see the field his freshman year.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Key point - he is still tripping to BYU on 1/30 and is still open to BYU. He hasn't closed the door and G. Martzen mentioned several recruits would be making trips. They are OK with this and the Kona Schwenke policy is not in place.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

byucougar1 wrote:Key point - he is still tripping to BYU on 1/30 and is still open to BYU. He hasn't closed the door and G. Martzen mentioned several recruits would be making trips. They are OK with this and the Kona Schwenke policy is not in place.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
A couple of things. The Kona Schwenke policy was only in place because he decided to trip later at a point where BYU couldn't contact him after his trip.

And 2, Dayan Lake's main recruiter is/was Howell and they apparently have a great relationship.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Lake is a little late in the process, hoping some big time schools held a schollie for him, when he's been committed for about 2 years.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:
beauso79 wrote:DB Dayan Lake just decommited per Doug Kimmel on Twitter......I mean would you want Howell as your coach?
As a position coach, Howell has shown that he can turn non-D1 athletes into a pretty dang good secondary, now as a defensive coordinator on the other hand...
Which non-D1 athletes did he turn into a good secondary as a position coach?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: