Fahu Tahi hates BYU

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fahu Tahi hates BYU

Post by Fido »

A little more on the subject--discussion from the Aggies fan board but it is an interesting read. http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic ... 27#p369773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Fido wrote:A little more on the subject--discussion from the Aggies fan board but it is an interesting read. http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic ... 27#p369773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have to say that's about the most level headed thread I've ever read on a fanboard outside of this one. The last Aggie board I read was the typical CougarBoard, UteFans, Bevo whatever board where everyone is so incredibly biased I don't know how anyone reads them.

I have a confession to make. I graduated from the U in December with my MBA (something I thought I could relate with Cougarbib with but he's fallen off the side of the Cougar Corner corner.) I'm pretty sure there are a lot of reasons they would hold back a diploma. My wife works up there and she is dealing with kids being boneheads all the time and the school has to withhold credits or diplomas.

I'd guess whatever is going on has nothing to do with his recent legal troubles as they're so recent I'd bet BYU's registrars office didn't know anything about it. It's more likely he didn't finish a class or something and he thought ignoring it would = finishing it in BYU's eyes if he waited long enough. It's likely going to be one of those things that we never do find out what happens because he'll talk and BYU wont.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

If he wants his degree, then he should go to work and finish it. As a coach, that is what he should be telling his kids.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Stirfry wrote: I'm pretty sure there are a lot of reasons they would hold back a diploma. My wife works up there and she is dealing with kids being boneheads all the time and the school has to withhold credits or diplomas.

I'd guess whatever is going on has nothing to do with his recent legal troubles as they're so recent I'd bet BYU's registrars office didn't know anything about it. It's more likely he didn't finish a class or something and he thought ignoring it would = finishing it in BYU's eyes if he waited long enough. It's likely going to be one of those things that we never do find out what happens because he'll talk and BYU wont.
I don't think BYU is withholding anything from Mr. Tahi. If he hasn't received his diploma it's most likely because he hasn't completed ALL the requirements for graduation.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

The only logical possibilities I see are
1) He hasn't completed all requirements (that doesn't sound like it from the way he spins it)
2) He fell out of good standing with the university prior to graduation.

The second possibility could be for a variety of reasons including not meeting financial obligations to the university or an unresolved honor code violation. The well known honor code/legal issues with him happened in 2003 and he played all the way to 2005 so those can't be the source of the problem.
Pure speculation on my part would be that there was another issue and he said screw it, I'm going to the NFL anyhow. Then years later when he is working for a coaching position and doesn't have his degree to meet the qualifications there is resentment. Unless an offense was so serious he was expelled with no chance to re-enroll, I would think he would have been given opportunities to make things right with his standing and get his degree and has had 10 years since he left BYU to do so.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If I remember correctly, if you owe BYU any sort of money upon graduation, they won't give you your diploma. Even something as small as a $5.00 late-book fee.

Something doesn't add up and it's more than likely due to Tahi, not BYU.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:If I remember correctly, if you owe BYU any sort of money upon graduation, they won't give you your diploma. Even something as small as a $5.00 late-book fee.

Something doesn't add up and it's more than likely due to Tahi, not BYU.
Which is pretty much the same with all universities.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Sorry; I had a bit of trouble understanding what he was saying. Was it this, "It's about me not [being] given my degree and [not being] allowed to continue on coaching because they [BYU] want to hold on to my diploma."?

I was confused by who the subject was in the bold part. Actually, I think he's a bit confused about that, too! It's not BYU keeping you back, buddy. It's you. THere's no way they said, "hey, we're not going to give you your diploma EVER." And there are ombudsman services available if he's legitimately been wronged (not likely, but possible).

Whatever it is, he thinks it will be easier to get USU to sign off on his paperwork--his bio indicates that he's transferred his credits and will be seeking a degree from that fine institution.

FWIW, his sister served in my ward in Santa Monica about 8 years ago. Good missionary. She was always very interested in the BYU scores on Sunday. But she never wanted to talk about her brother--not surprising seeing as how he wasn't doing right by his wife (not that I would ever ask that kind of a question). Seems that the family was still pro BYU at that time but recognized that Fahu had some "issues."

Hope he works through it. His sister was a good person.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK