Mendenhall talks discipline from the bowl brawl

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Mendenhall talks discipline from the bowl brawl

Post by Fido »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=33673370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall will use spring practices to focus on discipline for the 2015 BYU football squad, a move that comes in part from the team’s involvement in a post-game brawl following a loss to Memphis in the Miami Beach Bowl in December.

The head coach said around 10 players will be disciplined for their role in the ruckus, but most of them will see the punishment trickle out as the team gets closer to their first game of the season at Nebraska.

“There’s a point, just with having a chance to reflect on the season ending, where we decided to focus on three words: accountability, discipline and effort,” Mendenhall said. “That really gets you through difficult times and difficult games. I don’t think I challenged the team enough to where they could be disciplined, regardless of circumstance.”

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Mendenhall talks discipline from the bowl brawl

Post by snoscythe »

[Patrick Kinahan ingests hat]

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

snoscythe wrote:[Patrick Kinahan ingests hat]
I love that they didn't release the information through him when he wanted it. :lol:

Matty-B
Junior

Post by Matty-B »

The thing that stood out most to me in this article... Our backup qb is a tight end.
How the hell does that happen? When is Mangum due back on campus?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Matty-B wrote:The thing that stood out most to me in this article... Our backup qb is a tight end.
How the hell does that happen? When is Mangum due back on campus?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tanner Mangum, Beau Hoge, and Koy Detmer, Jr. (all true freshmen) will all be in fall camp. For spring ball, they only have Taysom Hill (who will be used sparingly), McCoy Hill, and walk on Hunter Moore. Both M. Hill and Moore are true Sophomores who got in the Savannah State game last year. But behind Taysom the QB position is very inexperienced.

It is a result of having a couple of guys transfer out of the program or leave on missions (Jake Heaps, Billy Green, Hayden Griffits --mission) and they didn't have enough other guys in reserve.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And Hostick choosing to sign with no one.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Stirfry wrote:Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?
Can I answer my own question? Apparently(according rumorboard) CStew's 5-year clock wont expire until after Spring practice and he's agreed to be a practice QB. If true that's pretty cool. I hate that Taysom got hurt but I'm really glad Stew saw the reward for all the work he put in.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Stirfry wrote:Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?
I don't see why he couldn't. I see coaches throwing balls to players all the time.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Stirfry wrote:
Can I answer my own question? Apparently(according rumorboard) CStew's 5-year clock wont expire until after Spring practice and he's agreed to be a practice QB. If true that's pretty cool. I hate that Taysom got hurt but I'm really glad Stew saw the reward for all the work he put in.
CStew is a stud. Very unselfish and a team guy all the way. I am glad he decided to come to BYU.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.