Future uses for ribbon board

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Future uses for ribbon board

Post by Ungoy »

I saw this on the other board, and thought it merited mention here as well. Sounds like BYU has upgraded the software controlling the ribbon boards. This will allow them to devote 1/3 of the boards for use in displaying stats/scores. BYU upgraded the software to allow that functionality. Hopefully this is true, and if so, AWESOME.

The post also indicated that BYU is working on connectivity (cell/wifi service) and an ingame app to allow fans to pull up replays on their phones and such.

These additions would be very welcome in the LES game day experience.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=13784851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YNot
All-American

Re: Future uses for ribbon board

Post by YNot »

Hooray! I specially mentioned this in some detail in my game day survey. Looks like I wasn't the only one!

Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Stirfry »

This is great news. And one of those almost to amazing to believe issues that you'd hear from your boss that the reason has to do with software. I'm no computer guy but I'd think you could run split screens/ribbons with an ipad. Oh well it's fixed.

Any word on the one directional speakers?

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.

So BYU has to create its own wifi network capable of handling all the data the fans in the stadium will demand before it can launch the app. (Which brings up another point--if you can barely get a text to send in LES currently, how helpful do you think a streaming app is really going to be without LES-based wifi?) Other schools have partnered with an "official internet provider" or such to have them build and service the wifi network in exchange for the promotion. BYU likes to promote corporate partners, so I would expect to see something like that.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

YNot wrote:Hooray! I specially mentioned this in some detail in my game day survey. Looks like I wasn't the only one!
I did too and I think this topic is keen to a lot of those that attend the games.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

snoscythe wrote:The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.

So BYU has to create its own wifi network capable of handling all the data the fans in the stadium will demand before it can launch the app. (Which brings up another point--if you can barely get a text to send in LES currently, how helpful do you think a streaming app is really going to be without LES-based wifi?) Other schools have partnered with an "official internet provider" or such to have them build and service the wifi network in exchange for the promotion. BYU likes to promote corporate partners, so I would expect to see something like that.
Google Fiber? Seems like they'd be a natural fit. And this is the sort of thing I can see our google overlords wanting to delve into.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

CrimsonCoug wrote:
snoscythe wrote:The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.

Google Fiber? Seems like they'd be a natural fit. And this is the sort of thing I can see our google overlords wanting to delve into.
I've suggested Google to Holmoe in the past and even sent him press releases and other information about Baylor's wifi and in-game app.