SEC says BYU is P5

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
dsmith1212
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: SEC says BYU is P5

Post by dsmith1212 »

Cougs_Rule, seems to me that all of your arguments would apply equally whether BYU is independent or if it was accepted into a P5 conference.

Your TV comment misses the point - more fans nationwide will now be inclined to pay attention to and even watch BYU more often - every game every week, not just those involving the SEC or ACC.

Whether independent or in a P5 conference, winning is paramount, losses (especially lots of them, see e.g. Washington State) can create a lost decade or more, and injuries will occur.

Perception can be everything, and notwithstanding Utah and the PAC12, BYU is now perceived as a P5 school in most corners and that perception will increase more before the 2015 season kicks off. I like that. Why don't you?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I like the inclusion and the big name games. I won't like losing seasons...I hope to be proved wrong though.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

byufan4ever wrote:I like the inclusion and the big name games. I won't like losing seasons...I hope to be proved wrong though.
I don't think they will be losing seasons. I think at worst they will be .500 seasons, with some seasons in between that surprise us in a good way. I have faith in Bronco's ability to get the team ready to play some harder teams. He has shown the ability to keep it close and even win some of those games (Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas twice come to mind).

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Screamineagle
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Screamineagle »

A couple thoughts or questions who would take 5-7 .500(barely or not bowl eligible) seasons out of ten years to get one or two shot at a top tier bowl/playoff spot every ten years?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Screamineagle wrote:A couple thoughts or questions who would take 5-7 .500(barely or not bowl eligible) seasons out of ten years to get one or two shot at a top tier bowl/playoff spot every ten years?
Non sequitur. BYU already has a shot at top bowls. But tougher schedules only reduce those chances. Unless you have the audacity to actually think that another undefeated season will show up once every 35-40 years.
BYu had their best chance in years to do that this past season. Bronco gave that up by delegating his most valuable coaching attribute.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Screamineagle wrote:A couple thoughts or questions who would take 5-7 .500(barely or not bowl eligible) seasons out of ten years to get one or two shot at a top tier bowl/playoff spot every ten years?
On second thought, you have asked the millions of TV dollars question. Several 6-6 or 5-7 seasons and this program gets hampered for quite some time.
Fans want wins more than they want quality home schedules.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

byufan4ever wrote:I like the inclusion and the big name games. I won't like losing seasons...I hope to be proved wrong though.
BINGO. someone with blue goggles but not a loss of reality.

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

I say if you don't want to be P5 then we need to consider dropping down to Division II. The idea of only scheduling non P5 and then expecting the respect to get to a new years and NC talk is crazy. No one is saying we are joining the SEC or even scheduling lots from the top of the SEC but if you can't expect to win most games against MS St, Ole Mis, Vanderbuilt, UK you don't need to be playing with the big boys.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

KYCoug wrote:I say if you don't want to be P5 then we need to consider dropping down to Division II. The idea of only scheduling non P5 and then expecting the respect to get to a new years and NC talk is crazy. No one is saying we are joining the SEC or even scheduling lots from the top of the SEC but if you can't expect to win most games against MS St, Ole Mis, Vanderbuilt, UK you don't need to be playing with the big boys.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

Well, isn't BYU acting a little bit like a DII team, begging for big matchups for notoriety, P5 recognition and money. The probelm isn't with one or two big time teams its four, five and six big games that will decimatethe health of this team. It's not built for it. And whatever fantasy people have that somehow BYU will be like Utah (a team byu can't seem to beat) and start attracting P5 talent and eventually start to become competitive, will be disappointed. No, it's not just the 2-4 big time games, there will be more. BYU will go from nearly almost shunned, not being P5 worthy, to now the cutest slump buster easy girl at the dance.....well I guess there is always Army. I expect multiple announcements in the coming six months and that will be the problem. Schedules will seem like so awesome and TH will make promises that these teams--our boys won't be able to keep. Oh, they will show up to play, but throw in several 6-6 seasons, greater number of fans will unfairly turn on Bronco believing in yet one more fantasy that someone else out there can do better and down goes Frazier.
And, unlike the Utes, BYU will not be able to consistently attrack P5 talent with the HC and academic standards. Just ain't gonna happen.
BYU is forgetting who they are (A MID MAJOR) in a desperate attempt to remain relevant and get an invite to Babylon The Great, which is now "calling" with regularity, but it ain't "falling" anytime soon. Should BYU give up? Of course not. But be a Boise State first before you act like you think you belong. Make a New Years day bowl first!! Oh but wait, BYUs chances just shot through the roof for a one loss year or better, didn't it.
But hey COugar fans, take heart, maybe if we perform (like I suspect) like a P5 cellar dweller we will finally get that big P5 invite soon enough, because the top teams will be licking their chops. But, I guess Baylor made it out of the cellar, maybe BYU could as well.
I suppose TH has to try something. Credit him for being bold.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Cougs_Rule, I'm sitting here at my desk wondering why you want to be a fan of BYU football, if that's what you think the team should aspire to. Man that's setting the high jump bar at about a foot off the ground.