BYU's 2015 home schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's 2015 home schedule

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU's 2015 home schedule

Post by snoscythe »

I'm just going to blame this on the gall bladder thing.

;)

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

:gross:

I want my three minutes back...

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

frdbtr wrote:I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.
To clarify, get into any conference (MWC or AAC)? Or get into a P5 conference?

I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I think 2015 is probably going to be the worst year we'll see, after this I see Independence and scheduling working out pretty nicely, especially with the AAC and SEC deals in place.

I just had to pass this along because my boss sent it to me.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I can't dispute the negative feelings around the team last year with all the injuries and sub-par games in that middle stretch of the season.

However--the claim that "fan attendance is in steady decline" is an assertion I'd challenge. In the first year of independence in 2011, attendance dropped 1.78% but so did the average FBS attendance (-2.05%). Then in 2012, attendance increased 1.45% (1.05% FBS average). In 2013 attendance again increased slightly (0.10%) and tracked FBS attendance (0.51%). In 2014, BYU's attendance fell hard--6.67%. Overall FBS attendance also took a big hit--though not as big (-4.79% average).

I'm curious to see what happens in 2015 with Boise State being the only well-known team on the home slate. UConn, East Carolina, Cincinnati, and even Fresno State aren't exactly regular opponents. And Wagner will certainly not get anyone too excited. It wouldn't shock me to see the numbers not look great for 2015--but hopefully not another dip from last season.

2016 is when I expect ticket sales to rebound. UCLA, Mississippi State, and Utah State should certainly bring people into the seats. Southern Miss and UMass less so but should still be worth watching. I hope the FCS opponent goes back to being a familiar one like Weber State, Idaho State, or someone of that like who is close and can travel to games.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I know I'll have my season tickets as always. You only get to go to the beautiful LaVell Edwards Stadium 6 times a year. Take advantage of those precious moments. No fan has ever been on their death bed and thought I wish I hadn't attended so many games in a beautiful setting like LES.

#truefan
#cougartails
#stadiumlife

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

mormonrasta wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.

I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.
BYU should never go back to the MWC, I prefer the Big 12 but frankly the American would be better than independence. If BYU were to pull off some miracle and go undefeated against the gauntlet that is our Sept schedule then attendance will be up this year even for the crap home schedule, but I still think that independence is a bad long term solution.....and so does Bronco.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

frdbtr wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:

BYU should never go back to the MWC, I prefer the Big 12 but frankly the American would be better than independence. If BYU were to pull off some miracle and go undefeated against the gauntlet that is our Sept schedule then attendance will be up this year even for the crap home schedule, but I still think that independence is a bad long term solution.....and so does Bronco.
I personally like independence. My only complaint is the bowl situation, but as a lifelong BYU fan playing in 2nd and 3r tier bowls has been a staple of this program's tradition. Nothing new there.

I don't agree that the AAC is better than Indy. I like playing 5-6 P5 teams plus USU and BSU each year. Trading that for 1-2 P5 teams and playing the likes of UConn, Temple and SMU each year is kind of meh, even if it means we have a better chance at a major bowl game.

I'm not sure how the AAC would be better than the MWC. At least by going back to the MWC we would play in front of our alumni base and play against familiar rivals.