I wonder about QB

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
sage
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I wonder about QB

Post by sage »

I wonder. I wonder what could have been. I think Taysom is an incredible athlete. No question he brings athleticism to the position like no other. But over the last 30-40 years, we have been great when we have a qb who passes better than anyone else. This article makes me kind of sad. Why did we go with the runner instead of the passer?

BYU offense shines in practice, ready for spring scrimmage
“I am really excited about what I saw offensively today, especially throwing the ball and going down field; and really, Stew is allowing us to do that,” said Mendenhall. “And then Taysom picks up settings where he can, so I think we are progressing nicely that way.”

I think our success would have been greater with Lark over Riley, and Stew over Hill. I know it sounds ludicrous, but we succeed when the qb has experience, and Lark never got. Stew is showing he had it, after some time. This is sad.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: I wonder about QB

Post by stuckinbig10country »

You're wrong when it comes to Stew over Hill, but it's a nice thought.

If Hill is healthy last year, we don't go on a 4 game losing streak in the middle of the season.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I wonder too. If we had Stew with 1st team reps under his belt we would not have had a 4 game losing streak (although we probably trade off some of our first 4 wins.) I see Stew as Alex Smith (not at his level though) and Taysom with the ability to be Eric Weddle at Weddles college level. Taysom has the size, strength, and speed to be used like Weddle was used at Utah. He could have played part QB, RB, Safety, kicker.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Just think about how few reps our backup QBs will have in 2015 now that C-Stew is practicing for a season he cannot play in.

Nice to see lots of lessons were learned last season when we had to hand the offense over to a backup with minimal reps and watched him have to learn on the job.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Doesn't matter. No way Taysom gets hurt this year. Nope. No chance at all.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

snoscythe wrote:Just think about how few reps our backup QBs will have in 2015 now that C-Stew is practicing for a season he cannot play in.

Nice to see lots of lessons were learned last season when we had to hand the offense over to a backup with minimal reps and watched him have to learn on the job.
McCoy Hill was recruited as a tight end and will be 4th string QB in the fall, if lucky. Hunter Moore won't even be on the travel squad.

Mangum and Hoge aren't available.

Spring ball is to help players learn the offense and defense and to develop skills and progress.
I actually see Christian Stewart at QB right now as a great benefit for the entire team. Receivers and backs get reps with a good QB. The defense gets to face a good QB. Taysom, Mangum, and Hoge will get plenty of reps in fall camp.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

hawkwing wrote:Doesn't matter. No way Taysom gets hurt this year. Nope. No chance at all.
At least not until the last game of the year. Credit the scheduler. Did that POC safety graduate yet?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

YNot wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Just think about how few reps our backup QBs will have in 2015 now that C-Stew is practicing for a season he cannot play in.

McCoy Hill was recruited as a tight end and will be 4th string QB in the fall, if lucky. Hunter Moore won't even be on the travel squad.

Mangum and Hoge aren't available.

Spring ball is to help players learn the offense and defense and to develop skills and progress.
I actually see Christian Stewart at QB right now as a great benefit for the entire team. Receivers and backs get reps with a good QB. The defense gets to face a good QB. Taysom, Mangum, and Hoge will get plenty of reps in fall camp.
The challenge is the O is getting used to someone and a style that will not be around. Good for the D to have to go against Stew. Bad for the O for TAYSOM timing. Maybe there is upside that Taysom has to throw, throw, throw and not run. It's like Kyle C needs to do in the off season--he needs to shoot shoot shoot! But the fall O with TAYSOM will be different than spring O with Taysom. But credit C Stew. I hope he reaps some benefits if he trying to play at the next level. And it's awesome that THill is playing as much as he is.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Agreed that the in this situation it may be better to give the reps to CStew so all of the receivers/TE/RB can get meaningful reps as well. If we give it to some scrub (not that I have any idea what the talent level is for the QB's in camp) we may be giving one 4th stringer QB a lot of reps while the many receivers/TE/RB's are missing out on meaningful reps.

One of my biggest frustrations with our coaches is they don't develop backup QB's. Max Hall was in games late in the 4th with big leads when we could have seen who Riley actually was but instead we used 2QB's in 2010 to figure it out. A little meaningful playing time for Riley in 2009 may have changed our 2010-2012 seasons dramatically.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it