BYU Pro-Day Participants

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Pro-Day Participants

Post by SpiffCoug »

So Jackson gave up on football but still voluntarily participated in Pro day?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I think a big part of the reason I liked PoVey was because so many people used him as the whipping boy of the defense for the past 2 years. Decent player with a ton of hate thrown his way.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

See Criddler's tweet? Eat it, haters. Last years BYU D had a lot bigger problems than any potential favoritism. Bronco would've played him as well.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote:I think a big part of the reason I liked PoVey was because so many people used him as the whipping boy of the defense for the past 2 years. Decent player with a ton of hate thrown his way.
I agree. A small, but vocal minority of fans picked on PoVey as if he wasn't a D1 athlete and had no business playing college ball. Stats didn't back it up. Pro-day results didn't back it up. The guy gave his all to play for BYU, I can't understand why fans aren't more appreciative of that.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougs_Rule wrote:See Criddler's tweet? Eat it, haters. Last years BYU D had a lot bigger problems than any potential favoritism. Bronco would've played him as well.
Makes you also wonder about who Chris Badger was talking about when he said last year not everyone bought into what the coaches were teaching. And that the coaches tried to coach around people's athleticism instead of making sure people were assignment sound.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

PoVey got a lot of hate because he constantly got beat on routes deep, because of mental error. There were at least one or two times a game he would double team the short crossing pattern, and a guy would float into the deep secondary wide open.

Our last few sets of safeties were getting NFL love and attention. We are used to them being very good. PoVey wasn't. And his bro in law *did* throw everyone else on the defense under the bus saying that he was supposed to be there, and that the defense didn't react correctly to his decision to leave his position on "instincts."

KVN did the same thing, but PoVey isn't KVN, and KVN wasn't playing safety, the last line of the defense. That should be the most "assignment sound" position on the defense, not the least.

BYU defense didn't play as a cohesive or well coached unit, and it showed. If that was bad coaching, or rogue players not being held responsible it still leads back to the coach.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Brayden Green on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

PoVey was the highest scoring playing on the defense last year according to how the coaching staff grades each play, that includes the entire coaching staff, not just his brother-in-law grading it.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I don't think nepotism is what had Bronco making Povey's case in person and with passion to the NFL scouts at pro-day....Bronco was making the case based on stats and pro-day numbers and telling the scouts to go back and watch his film--I doubt he'd tell them to do that if the film showed PoVey out of position as much as some are claiming. No one is perfect so I'm sure there are times he was beat, but PoVey supposedly graded out after film sessions better than any defensive player last season.

Note that Bronco wasn't making a case for Jackson to get a harder look.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think people only think of the year before when he played corner with a bad wheel because there was no one else. He looked out of position then but that is not the player.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Some people can't admit they were/are wrong. Too big a hit on their self esteem I guess. PoVey was not perfect, but he graded out as the best defender. Was he perfect? No but he did the best.