College Football Teams That Could Be Hurt By Hard Schedules

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: College Football Teams That Could Be Hurt By Hard Schedu

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Pat Doney
Random college fball tweet in April: BYU opens the season at Nebraska, vs. Boise, at UCLA, at Michigan. Who's making the schedule in Provo??
Retweeted by ESPN960Sports

Ya, I'm so off base. :roll:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Oh, and its a darn good thing that TH did get such a tough schedule because now that NY6 is even more out of reach, you Fantasy Island folks can focus even more on having your fictional NC game caliber schedule. Rotfl.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

As you've just pointed out, we're already getting attention and hype from national media for our schedule. Win some games and good things will happen.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Oh, and its a darn good thing that TH did get such a tough schedule because now that NY6 is even more out of reach, you Fantasy Island folks can focus even more on having your fictional NC game caliber schedule. Rotfl.
Its a chicken/egg argument. NY6 is out of reach with a soft schedule. NY6 is out of reach with losses. NY6 is pretty much out of reach for BYU anyhow since they aren't in a G5 conference looking for the autobid. Getting an at-large NY6 bowl would require a very difficult schedule AND lots of wins. When did it become all about a NY6 bowl? Those cards have been stacked against BYU for a long time.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Wrong. BYU was easily headed NY6 last year. BYU did not have a soft schedule last year. It just didn't have a killer schedule like 2015. It could have easily beaten BSU To NY6.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Even so, why would BYU fans not take MWC, assuming solid tv teir rights this time around, better access to NY6 and being nationally relevant over this scheduling nightmare that is just a huge rolling the dice against more significant odds--and now even more significantly higher odds to get NY6 with very little hope of joining the Big 12??
Well, it will be loads of fun this year, won't it? If THill goes down, there is no CStew to bring out of retirement and BYU sucks air at 4-8 or 5-7. Fun. Fun.

Oh wait, I can answer my own question. Why would BYU fans not want the above? "Because we are better than that. We belong in a P5 Conference. We do. We do. We do. We are not lowering our standards to go back to that piss-ant MW conference. We were meant for glory. National glory. Our destiny is for greatness not mediocrity. We will never achieve greatness hanging out with mediocrity. We are better than that. We deserve a chance at the NC."

Dream on Cougar fans. Keep drinking the Koolaid, bc TH is writing checks the coaches and players can't cash. This is not sustainable. So. Enjoy this killer schedule this year and I'll be sure to call you out when You disappear half way thru the season.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Even so, why would BYU fans not take MWC, assuming solid tv teir rights this time around, better access to NY6 and being nationally relevant over this scheduling nightmare that is just a huge rolling the dice against more significant odds--and now even more significantly higher odds to get NY6 with very little hope of joining the Big 12??
That's a heck of an assumption you've made there. It is not at all likely that the MWC WOULD budge on TV rights, because if they are willing to, they'd have all ready offered it. When you take the absurd assumption out of your argument, the rest of your position falls apart. You want BYU to play in front of less fans for less money, in exchange for having less scheduling flexibility, all for r the chance to play in a NY6 bowl game against a P5 school, that apparently you’re afraid will take out our QB.
Cougs_Rule wrote: Well, it will be loads of fun this year, won't it? If THill goes down, there is no CStew to bring out of retirement and BYU sucks air at 4-8 or 5-7. Fun. Fun.
I get your argument, you are saying that because Taysom Hill has been taken out twice by a MWC team, and never by a Power five team we need to spend more time playing MWC teams and less time playing power five teams.. makes sense... :roll:
Cougs_Rule wrote: Oh wait, I can answer my own question. Why would BYU fans not want the above? "Because we are better than that. We belong in a P5 Conference. We do. We do. We do. We are not lowering our standards to go back to that piss-ant MW conference. We were meant for glory. National glory. Our destiny is for greatness not mediocrity. We will never achieve greatness hanging out with mediocrity. We are better than that. We deserve a chance at the NC."
This is silly. The MWC doesn't want us. They are not begging for us to return, they are happy without us, and frankly this has been a break up where both parties are better off being apart. They hated the scheduling issues that we pose with respect to Sunday play. The MWC teams that want to schedule us do, those that don’t want to don’t and we all just get along.
You seem to be arguing that we need to go back to the days of games that no one can watch, just because we’re afraid that one of our players might get injured against a better team. As if there were any facts to justify that concern. Do you have any evidence that incidents of injuries are higher against P5 schools than MWC schools? Absent such a key fact your entire position of being afraid of injuries just falls apart.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Just a couple of clarifying points to accurately reflect my pov since I personally don't hold the views of the "Koolaid" you refer to:
- I still think if you weigh all of the +/-, independence is better than being in a G5 conference
- I think it is unreasonable to expect BYU to join a G5 conference--at least until 2019. Why? Two reasons in my opinion. 1) The ESPN tv deal which provides more money and better exposure than the current MWC tv deal which doesn't expire until after 2016 season IIRC, and 2) Buyouts on the games on their independent schedule. They have to pay to cancel the games if they do not join a conference (new or existing) that has at least 4 teams from a current P5 conference (per language in contracts that has been obtained and published). BYU has at least 8 games scheduled each year through 2019. Even if you take out the MWC conference games (most years only have 2-3 but one has 6), you are still talking about paying out lots of money to get out of those games.
- The schedule difficulty is ranked in the top 20. And I'm expecting that to produce some losses--especially early in the season. But that won't dampen my interest in the team.
- Tom Holmoe and Bronco Mendenhall have both indicated that independence will not be sustainable long term and I believe them. However, Bronco confirmed that going to a G5 conference would be worse.
This is because of the money involved with P5 conferences. They can't match it through independence--but currently exceed what the G5 conferences pull in.
- I don't think the current status quo is going to stay in college football. Too many things are still in flux (total cost scholarships, CFP tweaks, etc). I'd bet there is even more change coming to conference memberships though probably not significantly before the end of the decade as more of the other changes take place and the viability of the grant of rights and current tv contracts play out.

If that is the blue kool aid then I'm drinking. But I'm not expecting undefeated seasons and national championships in 2015 or I'm going to stop being a fan.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Interesting tweets from Greg Wrubell about today's interview with Bronco Mendenhall:

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Why would BYU fans not take MWC, assuming solid tv teir rights this time around, better access to NY6 and being nationally relevant over this scheduling nightmare that is just a huge rolling the dice against more significant odds--and now even more significantly higher odds to get NY6 with very little hope of joining the Big 12??
Well, it will be loads of fun this year, won't it? If THill goes down, there is no CStew to bring out of retirement and BYU sucks air at 4-8 or 5-7. Fun. Fun.

Oh wait, I can answer my own question. Why would BYU fans not want the above? "Because we are better than that. We belong in a P5 Conference. We do. We do. We do. We are not lowering our standards to go back to that piss-ant MW conference. We were meant for glory. National glory. Our destiny is for greatness not mediocrity. We will never achieve greatness hanging out with mediocrity. We are better than that. We deserve a chance at the NC."

Dream on Cougar fans. Keep drinking the Koolaid, bc TH is writing checks the coaches and players can't cash. This is not sustainable. So. Enjoy this killer schedule this year and I'll be sure to call you out when You disappear half way thru the season.
Maybe you should change your name to Utes_Rule...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars