BYU jumps into the playing players realm.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU jumps into the playing players realm.

Post by YNot »

EM_Puma wrote:If what is being reported stays the same, I can't see BYU not have a significant advantage for recruiting that they didn't have before. How could most athletes picking between BYU and Utah legitimately say, "Yea, the PAC12 exposure is worth the $4,000 less I'm going to receive over 4 years of going to Utah vs. BYU." If it was that simple I would think the scales just swung back significantly in our favor and that just doesn't seem like it could truly be happening.
There is NO WAY that living costs are greater (in some cases substantially greater) in Norman, Oklahoma, Lubbock, Texas, or Auburn, Alabama than Boston or southern California. No way.

Schools like Boston College and USC are at a distinct disadvantage because their tuition is already so high. They want the total cost of attendance to stay relatively competitive from the average (non-athlete) students' perspective.

I think it really is that kind of advantage in BYU's favor, for now. We will see how long it lasts before universities start to modify their federally-reported cost of attendance numbers to make up for the difference. OR, until the P5 initiate some sort of NCAA legislation to try to control the "excessive spending" by the G5. The good news is that schools like Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas, and Penn St. are right there with us!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Over on CougarBoard they were saying one reason for BYU's higher COA is that it averages what the average student's COA is. If you factor how many students are married and have children they're providing for that changes the math for how a BYU COA is calculated.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

SpiffCoug wrote:Over on CougarBoard they were saying one reason for BYU's higher COA is that it averages what the average student's COA is. If you factor how many students are married and have children they're providing for that changes the math for how a BYU COA is calculated.
So, not only do our 2 year missions give our athletes an unfair age advantage, soon we'll have an unfair recruiting advantage because so many of our students are parents, pushing up the COA? I can't wait for someone to make that argument... :lol:

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think you just did.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

SpiffCoug wrote:Over on CougarBoard they were saying one reason for BYU's higher COA is that it averages what the average student's COA is. If you factor how many students are married and have children they're providing for that changes the math for how a BYU COA is calculated.
I don't know if I buy into this thinking. I hope it is one of the factors but if you look at the list, generally speaking the schools who are paying the most are the ones that are middle of the pack to lower dregs of their conferences.

What I see here are the bottom schools offering more to entice the recruits to come, while the top of the conferences are still relying on their reputation thinking the recruits will still want to come even if they pay less. Look at Utah, they are paying the most out of the pac schools. I think BYU sees this as an opportunity to change the minds of a recruit or two and that is the reason they are paying what they are paying, or does this reek of desperation like the cellar dwellars of the P5 conferences.

I don't like the idea of student athletes getting paid, but this worries me for another reason. This year we have been hearing from Bronco and Holmoe that BYU cannot compete with P5 schools financially, that Independence isn't a long term sustainable model. If they are paying one of the highest COA's out there, doesn't that put BYU at an even bigger financial disadvantage to the P5'ers?

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Not a fan of students getting paid. Not a fan at all. Will ruin college sports.

It won't stop with just football. Other sports will want their "fair share" too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

blue42 wrote:
I don't know if I buy into this thinking. I hope it is one of the factors but if you look at the list, generally speaking the schools who are paying the most are the ones that are middle of the pack to lower dregs of their conferences.

What I see here are the bottom schools offering more to entice the recruits to come, while the top of the conferences are still relying on their reputation thinking the recruits will still want to come even if they pay less. Look at Utah, they are paying the most out of the pac schools. I think BYU sees this as an opportunity to change the minds of a recruit or two and that is the reason they are paying what they are paying, or does this reek of desperation like the cellar dwellars of the P5 conferences.

I don't like the idea of student athletes getting paid, but this worries me for another reason. This year we have been hearing from Bronco and Holmoe that BYU cannot compete with P5 schools financially, that Independence isn't a long term sustainable model. If they are paying one of the highest COA's out there, doesn't that put BYU at an even bigger financial disadvantage to the P5'ers?
No. The cost to school a football player at BYU, scholie and COA, is far less than at USC, given the tuition difference. And this difference certainly his not even in the top 5 reasons why BYU can't get an invite to a P5 conference.

This is absolutely an act of desperation. BYU is losing ground in recruiting. It just is. BYU has to do anything within its power to even the playing field for recruiting Elite athletes. TH is throwing everything and the kitchen sink at building the perception that BYU tis. Ready for prime time.

Honor code: strike 1.
Non P5 Conference: strike 2
Poor NFL draft record: strike 3

But hey, for a consolation prize, BYU can offer a whopping one thousand more dollars per year. I don't like the extra money out Of my pocket as a fan and little d-donor, but I get that TH has to do whatever he can to get some win-back with all of the disadvantages. And all at the risk of breaching if not leading out (top 10) into grey ethical territory of pay for play for amateur athletes.

IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

Gunk wrote:Not a fan of students getting paid. Not a fan at all. Will ruin college sports.

It won't stop with just football. Other sports will want their "fair share" too.

I don't like it either, but if you read the article, you will see that all athletes in all sports (men and women) will be receiving the stipend.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

IowaCougar wrote:
Gunk wrote:Not a fan of students getting paid. Not a fan at all. Will ruin college sports.

I don't like it either, but if you read the article, you will see that all athletes in all sports (men and women) will be receiving the stipend.
That's nice. All the more reason now to make sure my kids get sports scholarships. Forget academics. What's the easiest team to make at BYU?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cougs_Rule wrote: I don't like the extra money out Of my pocket as a fan and little d-donor, but I get that TH has to do whatever he can to get some win-back with all of the disadvantages. And all at the risk of breaching if not leading out (top 10) into grey ethical territory of pay for play for amateur athletes.
Before- BYU was unethical for not paying their athletes.
Now- BYU is unethical for paying its athletes TOO MUCH.

It's truly always lose-lose with some people.

Listen. Personally, I don't like paying players, but if you're going to play the game, play to win. This is a big step in the right direction for our athletics program.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars