Happy Birthday to Me!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Happy Birthday to Me!

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Having done two years in grad school in Lincoln, unless you want some affordable but average golf, the greatest sight to see is the third largest city in Nebraska (yes, the stadium during game)--the historic and amazing Cornhusker stadium.
Go see the tailgating and what true fans do to show their true colors! Not a lot of idiotic pink Huskers apparel. Maybe some camo apparel, but ya, go wander around the pre-game festivities and see how a real (vs a wannabe) university preps for its games. Usually fans are pretty good folks unlike the deplorable ute fans. Not as nice as KSU fans, but pretty good hosts and fans who are excited for a much better than average home opener.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Never been to Lincoln. Looking forward to your report.

HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by HoosierCougar »

The Lincoln game-day experience is a great one. I took a customer (who is a former player) to the Nebraska vs Northwestern game their 1st year in the Big 10.

Couple things I noticed when I was there:
1) Red Everywhere (peppered with a few blackshirts)
2) Unanimity - they know why they are there and are united in that effort
3) Red! The faceplates on the steps are painted red... makes the stadium look more red
4) Lots of the same music (no Popcorn Popping) but the band plays a lot of the same bumper tunes... I kept wanting to yell "Go Cougars"
5) Not a ton of food for sale (that I saw)... most are tailgating with food.
6) Satellite TVs on cars, trucks and RVs. Only 85K or so can get into the game. Some will hit homes or bars, but if you paid to park why not stay and watch the game where you can hear the cheers!
7) Savvy fans... they were quiet when the Huskers had the ball, and rowdy when the D was on the field.
8) Seat backs are the norm... everyone (well, huge majority) pay $10 to get a seat back for the bench. Makes the game more pleasant, and they are all red, so the stadium pops more.

I had planned to be there, but my work schedule has me traveling that week. Go, yell loud, and wear blue!

MesaCougFan
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by MesaCougFan »

I picked up the new game day shirts last week while in Provo. I'm a big fan of jerseys. I would love to pick up an authentic stitched game jersey that I can proudly wear on my September tour. I wish there was a reasonable place to find one. I can't bring myself to pay charity auction or Ebay collector pricing for one. If any of you know where I can get one at a reasonable price let me know.