Trotter: Big XII Expansion Inevitable

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Trotter: Big XII Expansion Inevitable

Post by scott715 »

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/stor ... -in-072215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big12 coaches want to expand except TCU.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: "I really don't have much of an opinion on that, truly. I think it's a great plan, what we're putting out there now. ... "I haven't thought too much about expansion, I just play the games on the schedule. The only one I've heard consistently is BYU and obviously they're a storied program, but I haven't thought too much about it."

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Rumor has it that the Big12 has formed a committee which includes WVU, Baylor and Oklahoma Presidents.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Depending on what rumors you believe, the TV partners could heavily impact Big 12 expansion.

Fox wants to expand east, ESPN doesn't want 2 additions east. Fox likes UCF, ESPN likes BYU or Houston. It is likely they expand with 1 east and 1 west.

Issues that could make them choose Houston over BYU:
1) Concern about keeping B12 recruiting in the Houston area since A&M has the SEC brand in Texas already.
2) Travel concerns in adding BYU instead of Houston when they are adding potentially another outlier in UCF. Houston keeps things close.
3) Cultural concerns with BYU (sunday play....)

Some say BYU has been eliminated over Houston and others do not. I guess we wait and see.

ESPN's McMurphy says they will expand with 2 from the AAC, but ESPN is supposedly very against that because it gives Fox more of a presence towards the east where ESPN is strong.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Fido wrote:Depending on what rumors you believe, the TV partners could heavily impact Big 12 expansion.

Fox wants to expand east, ESPN doesn't want 2 additions east. Fox likes UCF, ESPN likes BYU or Houston. It is likely they expand with 1 east and 1 west.

Issues that could make them choose Houston over BYU:
1) Concern about keeping B12 recruiting in the Houston area since A&M has the SEC brand in Texas already.
2) Travel concerns in adding BYU instead of Houston when they are adding potentially another outlier in UCF. Houston keeps things close.
3) Cultural concerns with BYU (sunday play....)

Some say BYU has been eliminated over Houston and others do not. I guess we wait and see.

ESPN's McMurphy says they will expand with 2 from the AAC, but ESPN is supposedly very against that because it gives Fox more of a presence towards the east where ESPN is strong.
BYU should offer to play an extra game in Texas every year - rotating among the NFL stadiums in DFW and Houston and the Alamodome in San Antonio. So, instead of getting an extra conference home or road game, BYU would play 4 home, 4 road and one "neutral" in Texas.

I'm sure the logistics would be harder than it appears, but this would help the other Big 12 members to recruit and gain more presence in Texas without having to invite an institute that resides in Texas.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Or even better - BYU opens a BYU-Independence campus in Independence, Missouri (the synergies are just too great! Except, BYU would HAVE to remain independent....). Like BYU-Idaho, the other BYU-I will grow to an enrollment of about 15-20K and will have only intramural sports teams - making BYU the team for BYU-Independence.

BYU-Provo commits to play two Big 12 "home" games in Missouri, near the BYU-Independence campus - turning Arrowhead Stadium (7 miles from campus) into LES East.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That game could be play in Houston. Rumor has it that it would be effective 2017 season.

I heard a rumor that BYU made a presentation that was well received. Who knows what is true. The Texas politicians can be scary. They will probably push Houston. If the Big12 can keep this quiet and make a decision before the politicians get involved that would help.

I would be willing to offer just about anything to get in. Even paying a franchise fee.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-d ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One view of the current state of the Big12.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://newsok.com/article/5438621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He says they should take BSU and BYU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Another opinion. This guy makes a good case for Boise State and BYU in the Big 12.

http://newsok.com/tramel-the-big-12-sho ... 21/?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;