Trotter: Big XII Expansion Inevitable

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Trotter: Big XII Expansion Inevitable

Post by snoscythe »

Jake Trotter at ESPN did an opinion piece today, calling a preemptive expansion by the Big XII inevitable, but acknowledged that such preemption assumes the conference act rationally, (which they don't have a great history of doing, BTW). So his "inevitable" claim is based on logic more than inside information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... her-a-when" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He goes on to mention Mephis, CSU, and Houston as the attractive expansion candidates. No mention of the Provo cougars.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Trotter: Big XII Expansion Inevitable

Post by EM_Puma »

Shoot, here it comes again for another summer of discontent. I do have a problem, based on history, of not seeing this whole ordeal again end up with BYU on the outside. I was just trying to ignore it because my heart was ripped out last time as we even had the venerable Greg Wrubell finally capitulating and stating that it "appeared" that BYU was heading to the Big 12. Well we know how that turned out.

Now today Collin Cowherd suggesting that the Big 12 could be on it's way out again as key members could be swallowed up into PAC12 and/or SEC.

Honestly, under the scenario that TX and TT went to PAC12 and OK, OSU went to SEC, whats not to like of the scenario of, if we can't join any P5 conference, of at least having teams like TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia thrown out to fend for themselves. I like the appeal of a new conference with the likes of them and CSU, Boise, AF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati or whomever with BYU. I want to be in a conference and if it's not going to be P5/P4, I'd like one created outside of the American or MWC with the best teams available. Wow, I can't even imagine the incredible scenario of the Big 12 not surviving, or having to remake itself without Texas, Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

I think I'm just going to bury my head in the sand until all the dust settles and facts are known. This speculation world is hard when you're not in command.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

There's talk right now that Oklahoma wants to add Houston and Cincinnati, or they're threatening to leave the conference.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

What does Houston even bring to the table? No new TV market, really, and very mediocre sports.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote:What does Houston even bring to the table? No new TV market, really, and very mediocre sports.
Local politicians. More right now than any other school in Texas, or so they say.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Schmoe wrote:What does Houston even bring to the table? No new TV market, really, and very mediocre sports.

Dilution of the Longhorns' stranglehold on the conference.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

It makes sense to me that since you've already gone down the road of adding West Virginia, how do you not compliment them with a team in that direction like Cincinnati? We at BYU say no, but they have already taken that step and so you need to continue on. I think we're better off if OU, OSU and TX bolt and break up the Big 12 than to expect an invitation to the current conference.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The more I think about it the more I think the best thing for BYU is for the BigXII to disintegrate.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:The more I think about it the more I think the best thing for BYU is for the BigXII to disintegrate.
It has been a few years since Texas and Oklahoma mattered. If they left and it did disintegrate, I like teaming up with TCU, Baylor, SMU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Houston, and Memphis. I know, I know, that's only seven games slated a season. But that would leave one game for an out of conference rivalry and four other slots for non-conference games. It would be the religious school division and the heathen division in the Brawlin' Big 8 conference. ;) :whistle:

I put the chances of this happening at around .0001%. You can take it to the bank. You heard it here first. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :D

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://twitter.com/MHver3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rumors are heating up again. Is this guy connecter? I think he might be. He's saying a lot today. Last tweet was last year.

Saying UO wants 12 teams now or might walk. They might be close to pulling the trigger but they have to agree on who. Also not too picky on who the two teams are.