letter from Harvey Jackson to Bronco

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

letter from Harvey Jackson to Bronco

Post by scott715 »

https://www.facebook.com/harvothegreat?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: letter from Harvey Jackson to Bronco

Post by scott715 »

Letter of Gratitude:

BYU is no ordinary place. Every time I sit back and replay my senior season as a collegiate football player, I couldn’t be more proud of the fact that I chose to play for Coach Bronco Mendenhall. After watching Coach Mendenhall lead our team this past year, 14’-15’, through tremendous ups and downs, I came to realize how he was not only a special football coach, but also a great man and a real life inspiration figure. Understand that I consider myself a realist and it was real inspiring viewing Coach Mendenhall strategically take control of his whole football team, which at the time were a group of lost and hurt individuals, after falling from a high 4-0 record to a quick 4-4 nightmare in the matter of seconds, each week. Needless to say our football team were full of young man from totally different backgrounds, culture, life settings, attitudes, athleticism and also age ranges (from true freshmen all the way to senior returning missionaries); while losing our rising star quarterback Taysom Hill. Coach Mendenhall somehow acted urgently and specifically but also calmly and respectfully; it was weird because I expected something totally differently. Returning players saw it as the norm while I was confused waiting on the breakdown, but it never happen; Coach Mendenhall didn’t flinch, sweat, budge, or point the finger; or at least not in front of us players. And through the midst of it all, he was still teaching us life fundamentals of what it takes to be a man by staying organized, focused, fearless, and ready. We ended the regular season 8-4 on a emotional rollercoaster, but respected the finish because the drive was challenging. Its crazy what can happen when the trust and respect is mutual between the players and coach(es). Because of that, everyday was a great day to be a cougar and still is. I’m excited to watch Coach Bronco Mendenhall and the Cougars take on this years upcoming schedule as it one of the toughest in BYU’s history and I know Coach Mendenhall is the right guy for the job. I believe Coach Mendenhall is one of the better college football coaches out there today due the standard he must keep us abiding by and the mark of victories accomplished year round. I again would like to thank coach Menden all for not only taking a chance on me but for allowing me the option of taking a chance on him.

Go Cougars,

Harvey

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Thanks for sharing this, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I guess the guy who keeps posting that Harvey is pissed at BYU for not being able to play as much as he wanted to is wrong.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote:I guess the guy who keeps posting that Harvey is pissed at BYU for not being able to play as much as he wanted to is wrong.
I don't think he was ever pissed at BYU as an institution. Notice that the letter doesn't make any mention of the guy who was making those personnel decisions--Nick Howell.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I guess the guy who keeps posting that Harvey is pissed at BYU for not being able to play as much as he wanted to is wrong.
I don't think he was ever pissed at BYU as an institution. Notice that the letter doesn't make any mention of the guy who was making those personnel decisions--Nick Howell.
That letter would have never been written by someone who was disgruntled about his football experience in any way.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:
Come on Sno, you have it all wrong. Fans of Star Wars HAVE to love the sucky prequels and the person responsible for them (Lucas), because we live in an all or nothing world. If you like or love something, it has to be all the way 100% with all things involved or attached to it.

(As an aside, if people haven't seen "The People vs. George Lucas" it's amazing. It was on netflix when I saw it. Also, Red Letter Media on the prequels is amazing. Warning, language in both.)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Brayden Green wrote:Come on Sno, you have it all wrong. Fans of Star Wars HAVE to love the sucky prequels and the person responsible for them (Lucas), because we live in an all or nothing world. If you like or love something, it has to be all the way 100% with all things involved or attached to it.

(As an aside, if people haven't seen "The People vs. George Lucas" it's amazing. It was on netflix when I saw it. Also, Red Letter Media on the prequels is amazing. Warning, language in both.)
False. Star Wars don't "HAVE" to love the sucky prequels. In fact, I bet if you took a poll of self-identified Star Wars fans - MOST would say they don't love the prequels and have very contradictory feelings of Lucas. Most appreciate his creative efforts in the OrigTrig, but it's clear he never understood why we loved the OrigTrig.

We didn't love it because of the lightsabers or the special effects. We loved it for the characters and their story. This is why The Force Awakens has become such a hit. It's about the characters and their story - not the lightsabers or the special effects.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Come on Sno, you have it all wrong. Fans of Star Wars HAVE to love the sucky prequels and the person responsible for them (Lucas), because we live in an all or nothing world. If you like or love something, it has to be all the way 100% with all things involved or attached to it.

False. Star Wars don't "HAVE" to love the sucky prequels. In fact, I bet if you took a poll of self-identified Star Wars fans - MOST would say they don't love the prequels and have very contradictory feelings of Lucas. Most appreciate his creative efforts in the OrigTrig, but it's clear he never understood why we loved the OrigTrig.

We didn't love it because of the lightsabers or the special effects. We loved it for the characters and their story. This is why The Force Awakens has become such a hit. It's about the characters and their story - not the lightsabers or the special effects.
I don't think you caught the sarcasm...

My point was that loving the product (BYU / Star Wars in my analogy) is very different than loving the person making the decisions (Howell / Lucas).

And if you haven't seen the red letter media criticisms of the prequels, or "The People vs. George Lucas" they are a must for any Star Wars fan.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: