Jamal Williams withdraws from school, will redshirt 2015-16

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jamal Williams withdraws from school, will redshirt 2015

Post by hawkwing »

Hine and Brown both averaged 4.8 YPC last year, didn't they?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Brown's ypc last year:
5.8 vs UConn
4.8 vs Texas
5.0 vs UCF
11.0 vs Nevada
5.3 vs UNLV
8.5 vs Savannah
3.5 vs Cal
4.2 vs Memphis

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I wonder how many teams would enjoy having such an awful OL that helped the offense gain 5.2 & 4.2 yards per rush the last two season.
Actually, you might not want to hang your hat on those numbers. Unless you include Taysom Hill in the package, probably not very many teams would want that OL, considering 4.2 ypc was #73 in the country last year.

http://www.sports-ratings.com/college_f ... fense.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everybody not-named-Taysom averaged only 3.9 ypc last year, which would be #85 in the country. In games without Taysom, i.e. where the defense didn't have to worry about Taysom running all over the field, that drops to 2.6 ypc, or #125 in the country, tied with 1-11 Georgia State, and only better than three other teams. Remember too that this 2.6 ypc was against defensive powerhouses like UNR, MTSU, UNLV, and Savannah State...#79, #80, #123 in FBS rushing defense last year, and the #113 FCS rush defense for a team that ran the table in reverse last year.

With Taysom, BYU's rushing ypc was below average. Without him, it was abysmal.
Not to mention if you take all those yards - whatever the true number might be, there are so many categories to pull from that sometimes don't reflect correct data - If you take all those yards and then give them right back to the defense in sacks, false starts, and ridiculous personal foul penalties from the offensive line.

I'm just not buying what the others are saying in this thread about a good O line. It wasn't. It has improved, possibly, from 5 years ago when Heaps and Nelson were running for their lives and getting ribs broken. We still haven't met a standard of acceptability yet, and I doubt that this is the year we start, although I would rather be wrong than see another year of bad Oline play. It does help that each lineman doesn't seem to have a high ankle sprain coming into training camp. I wonder if that is better conditioning, or if Robert Anae and Bronco have given up on their ludicrous ambition to turn our big fatties on the offensive line into marathon runners for GFGH.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:Brown's ypc last year:
5.8 vs UConn
4.8 vs Texas
5.0 vs UCF
11.0 vs Nevada
5.3 vs UNLV
8.5 vs Savannah
3.5 vs Cal
4.2 vs Memphis
So, we're moving the goalposts? We were talking about OL performance and you offered team RYPC as a metric, which failed miserably. This one's not doing you any favors either.

Algie Brown overall 2014 = 4.8 ypc. That's #90 in the country last year.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... ual/907/p2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Against the tougher part of the schedule, but with Taysom on the field he was 12/64, or 5.3 ypc. That's #54 in the country.

After Taysom goes down, and against the patsies, Algie's performance dropped to 56/260, or 4.6 ypc. That means that although they were playing against horrendous--absolutely horrendous rush defenses, he dropped 0.7 ypc to the #105 ypc total.

You're not selling anyone on the OL's performance last season.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

snoscythe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I wonder how many teams would enjoy having such an awful OL that helped the offense gain 5.2 & 4.2 yards per rush the last two season.
Actually, you might not want to hang your hat on those numbers. Unless you include Taysom Hill in the package, probably not very many teams would want that OL, considering 4.2 ypc was #73 in the country last year.

http://www.sports-ratings.com/college_f ... fense.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everybody not-named-Taysom averaged only 3.9 ypc last year, which would be #85 in the country. In games without Taysom, i.e. where the defense didn't have to worry about Taysom running all over the field, that drops to 2.6 ypc, or #125 in the country, tied with 1-11 Georgia State, and only better than three other teams. Remember too that this 2.6 ypc was against defensive powerhouses like UNR, MTSU, UNLV, and Savannah State...#79, #80, #123 in FBS rushing defense last year, and the #113 FCS rush defense for a team that ran the table in reverse last year.

Maybe you should actually check your facts, about your statement in bold:

2014 Rushing
QB
Taysom Hill: 87-460 yards (5.3 )
Christian Stewart: 82-163 yards (2.0 )
Hunter Moore: 7-30 yards (4.3 )
McCoy Hill: 5-27 yards (5.4 )

RB
Jamaal Williams: 109-518 yards (4.8 )
Paul Lasike: 79-364 yards (4.6 )
Algernon Brown: 68-324 yards (4.8 )
Nate Carter: 46-290 yards (6.3 )
Adam Hine: 40-154 yards (3.8 )
AJ Moore: 10-62 yards (6.2 )

WR
Jordan Leslie: 3-34 yards (11.3 )
Mitch Juergens: 6-23 yards (3.8 )

Link; http://byucougars.com/files/stats/stats ... 014_33.pdf

:angry:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The offensive line has been better at run blocking than pass blocking since 2J took over. They were bad at both before he took over. I guess that shows improvement. I want to see some legitimate pass blocking skill this year. The reason Taysom has to try to make something from nothing on pass plays is because Dlinemen are in the back field nearly the second he catches the ball from the shotgun snap and if he doesn't see an open receiver by then, he runs. If we really want to keep him healthy this year, we need to keep the dline off of him.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

snoscythe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Brown's ypc last year:
5.8 vs UConn
4.8 vs Texas
5.0 vs UCF
11.0 vs Nevada
5.3 vs UNLV
8.5 vs Savannah
3.5 vs Cal
4.2 vs Memphis
So, we're moving the goalposts? We were talking about OL performance and you offered team RYPC as a metric, which failed miserably. This one's not doing you any favors either.

Algie Brown overall 2014 = 4.8 ypc. That's #90 in the country last year.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... ual/907/p2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Against the tougher part of the schedule, but with Taysom on the field he was 12/64, or 5.3 ypc. That's #54 in the country.

After Taysom goes down, and against the patsies, Algie's performance dropped to 56/260, or 4.6 ypc. That means that although they were playing against horrendous--absolutely horrendous rush defenses, he dropped 0.7 ypc to the #105 ypc total.

You're not selling anyone on the OL's performance last season.
No. My listing of Brown's YPC was to illuminate Hawk's post about Brown averaging 4.8ypc.

(8.4x
..................ATT
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

E-Zone15 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

Maybe you should actually check your facts, about your statement in bold:

2014 Rushing
QB
Taysom Hill: 87-460 yards (5.3 )
Christian Stewart: 82-163 yards (2.0 )
Hunter Moore: 7-30 yards (4.3 )
McCoy Hill: 5-27 yards (5.4 )

RB
Jamaal Williams: 109-518 yards (4.8 )
Paul Lasike: 79-364 yards (4.6 )
Algernon Brown: 68-324 yards (4.8 )
Nate Carter: 46-290 yards (6.3 )
Adam Hine: 40-154 yards (3.8 )
AJ Moore: 10-62 yards (6.2 )

WR
Jordan Leslie: 3-34 yards (11.3 )
Mitch Juergens: 6-23 yards (3.8 )

Link; http://byucougars.com/files/stats/stats ... 014_33.pdf

:angry:
:skeptic: You honestly read that statement to mean every person with a carry other than Taysom each individually averaged exactly 3.9 ypc?

Take BYU's number of carries in 2014 (2,363) and subtract out Taysom's carries (87) for a total number of carries by everyone not-named-Taysom of 480 carries.

Then take BYU's total rushing yards from 2014 (2,363) and subtract Taysom's contribution (460) for a everyone not-named-Taysom total of 1,903 yards.

To get rypc for everyone not-named-Taysom, divide those rushing yards by attempts: 1,903/480 =3.9 ypc.

statistics source = http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... yu-cougars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

snoscythe wrote:

Cool! I can pick and choose which stats to include?

If you only look at the games where an RB had more than 10 carries, we have 14 player games. And in those 14 player games, the OL blocked sufficiently for RBs to run for 1,052 yards on just 220 carries or 4.8 ypc!

(8.4x
..................ATT
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with college football's YPC stats, if more than half the teams in the country averaged more than 50% of required yards for a first down in a single play. I honestly would not have guessed that prior to reading this.