ECU Preview 2015

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

ECU Preview 2015

Post by scott715 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... xpert.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds like they will be tougher than we thought.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: ECU Preview 2015

Post by scott715 »

Next game up. They were down early against SMU today and switched QBs and looks like they will win while running away from it. Anyone see the game and have insights?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Well, I'm going to this game... I've had terrible luck at LES with W/L %.

based on that alone, I have a bad feeling about this game.

They also played Florida right down to the wire, and FL appears to have an "okay" team.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14698184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ECU update by ECU-BYU Fan

Hey guys, prior to the season I gave a rundown on the ECU offense and defense. As I said then, Kurt Benkert was way ahead of our other two Qbs. KB had a season ending injury. His backup, Sr Cody Keith never fully recovered from last seasons injuries and was passed by lightly recruited JUCO Blake Kemp. Keith eventually left the team. Former 4* (recruited by ECU as a receiver) and Nayion's 3rd Rated HS Dual Threat QB James Summers was switched to QB.

ECU lead by Kemp, beat Townson Week 1. Week 2 ECU played Florida very close, having a chance to tie the game with less than a minute. ECU moved the ball to inside the UF 10 yrd line before Kemp fumbled the ball. We next played Navy who destroyed us. ECU has always had trouble defending Navy's option attack.

We played Va. Tech at home. After 2 quick Kemp turnovers VT jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead. ECU switched QB and put in Simmers. Summers rushed for 160 yards and led ECU to a come from behind win over the ACC team.

Yesterday same story. SMU jumped to an early 23-7 lead before we made the switch to Summers. ECU scored 42 unanswered points. The defense also came alive, sacking SMU qb 8 times.

We had a top receiver recently get out of Coach Ruff's dog house and he has been a huge impact on the offense.

Special teams, especially the punting game has looked good. 5 of the last six punts have been inside the 10 and the 6 was downed at the 12.

I look forward to traveling to Provo for the game. I hope both teams come out injury free.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14698184

ECU update by ECU-BYU Fan

Hey guys, prior to the season I gave a rundown on the ECU offense and defense. As I said then, Kurt Benkert was way ahead of our other two Qbs. KB had a season ending injury. His backup, Sr Cody Keith never fully recovered from last seasons injuries and was passed by lightly recruited JUCO Blake Kemp. Keith eventually left the team. Former 4* (recruited by ECU as a receiver) and Nayion's 3rd Rated HS Dual Threat QB James Summers was switched to QB.

ECU lead by Kemp, beat Townson Week 1. Week 2 ECU played Florida very close, having a chance to tie the game with less than a minute. ECU moved the ball to inside the UF 10 yrd line before Kemp fumbled the ball. We next played Navy who destroyed us. ECU has always had trouble defending Navy's option attack.

We played Va. Tech at home. After 2 quick Kemp turnovers VT jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead. ECU switched QB and put in Simmers. Summers rushed for 160 yards and led ECU to a come from behind win over the ACC team.

Yesterday same story. SMU jumped to an early 23-7 lead before we made the switch to Summers. ECU scored 42 unanswered points. The defense also came alive, sacking SMU qb 8 times.

We had a top receiver recently get out of Coach Ruff's dog house and he has been a huge impact on the offense.

Special teams, especially the punting game has looked good. 5 of the last six punts have been inside the 10 and the 6 was downed at the 12.

I look forward to traveling to Provo for the game. I hope both teams come out injury free.
Scary stuff considering BYU has been poor at defending "next up" QBs. Who does BYU prepare for? Kemp or Summers? Does Mangum come out of this game without injury. Vegas has BYU as 8 point favorite. Honestly, without home field and if I were forced to put money on the game without bias, I might go with ECU. Going to be a test for sure.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

We need to be worried about this game, but it's Cincy that will be the real test.

bluewaterpirate
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by bluewaterpirate »

We have two quarterbacks the original starter injured his knee in fall camp.

James Summer has got some wheels very elusive strong runner.

SMU game ....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VT game ....

Blake Kemp was the starter not a runner but accurate passer not the strongest arm

SMU game .....

VT game ......

Defense .....

Here's to a good hard injury free game.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Welcome BWP, I think it will be a great game. Got a lot of respect for the Pirates. Also hope a lot of people watch it on tv.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14700949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't overlook the Pirates- Preview from a BYU Alum/Fan & ECU Fan from Eastern NC

Before I start, let me clarify my interest in the game this weekend. I'm from Eastern North Carolina and flying out to SLC on Friday in order to watch this game in Provo this Saturday. I try to get to at least one BYU game a year, so this one is it!! (Thanks Provofan for letting me buy your GREAT tix from you)

I am a TRUE BLUE BYU FAN (Alum, and Life-Long Fan) and will be rooting for BYU to win. With that said, I am also a strong ECU Pirates fan and follow them closely - - as I am directly associated with the university. I know several of the ECU players and overall, they are good guys. Many are the first in their family to ever attend college and many come from very humble home environments. When you get to know them on a personal level, it is hard not to root for them each week. They know I am a BYU fan and we have kidded around with each other the past several months about this weekend’s game. I have been looking forward to this game since the two teams announced they were playing each other HvH 2015 and 2017

While ECU-BYUFAN (whom I don't know who this is yet) recently gave CB a pretty good review of what to expect from ECU, I will give you my own take on ECU and the game as I know both teams VERY WELL…..

ECU will not be a pushover or an easy win. They are SO MUCH better than UConn, so if BYU makes mistakes and turns the ball over (aka 1st half of Sat’s game), ECU will make them pay. Their D line and linebackers are strong, quick and aggressive. BYU’s O-line will have its hand full. Overton #51, Bigger#44 and Presley #99 lead the D to NINE sacks the last two weeks.

ECU currently runs a two-QB offense and like the hurry-up pace throughout the entire game. Lincoln Riley came from Texas Tech about 5 years ago and instilled their hurry-up passing offense. He took the O-Coordinator job at Oklahoma this past summer and Riley’s brother is now ECU’s O coordinator. One QB (Blake Kemp #7) is a little undersized, but a better passer. Kemp still is a good runner. The second QB (Summers #11) plays similar to Chuckie Keaton. He is slippery and quick, but can still effectively run the passing offense. He is getting better each week passing, loves to run and will likely come in after the first 3-4 possessions lead by Kemp.

The Pirates have a couple solid running backs (Hairston #22, Furlow #33 and Scott, #3). They are big and fast backs. Hairston is the senior and the main threat, but ECU will use all three throughout.

The WR corps is FAST, aggressive, athletic and have great hands. Jones #7, Brown #88 and Grayson #85 are their best WRs and Williams is a BEAST as the TE at 6’ 6” 260 lbs. Bryce Williams #80 reminds me of NE’s Gronk as he has great hands and runs extremely well for his size.

Against Virginia Tech and SMU, the Pirates got down early. But as the offense settled in, they overpowered both teams in the second half with their D and their O.

ECU’s is 3-2 and has losses to two decent teams. One loss was to FLORIDA IN GAINSVILLE and the Pirates only lost by a TD. They played well enough to win, were driving at the end of the game, but came up short (similar to BYU-UCA ending). Obviously, Florida is a very good team this year, so this loss is not a “bad loss”. Their second loss was to NAVY IN ANNAPOLIS. They have played Navy a couple times recently and have lost the last three BADLY. They have not yet figured out the triple-option. This loss stung a little for both the team and the fans – but Navy is a good team (not great, but good)

WHY BYU WILL WIN:
1. BYU has a better team – PERIOD. I have watched all five BYU games and all five ECU games this year. BYU tends to play better at home and their maturity level and size should overpower the Pirates.
2. In addition, the game is in Provo UT. Most of the ECU players have never traveled west of Dallas (SMU) or Tulsa OK. Nearly all of them have NEVER seen mountains like the Rocky Mountains/Wasatch front. The players will be a little wide-eyed when they enter the stadium with the mountains in the background. As my wife said when she first arrived at BYU as a freshman, the mountains were intimidating to her for weeks after her arrival. She found herself just staring at the mountains as she would walk to class.
3. I also truly believe that the altitude will play a role in this game. The entire ECU team will be grasping for air by the second quarter.
4. BYU’s WRs should be able to overpower and outplay the ECU DBs, even though the DBs are athletic. BYU should be able to take advantage of the young DBs because of their WR size and deceptive speed. ECU’s best DB is Sargent #5, a true freshman.
5. ECU might come in thinking BYU is not playing well as they got killed by Michigan and then had trouble with a weak UConn team though the first half.

WHY ECU MIGHT GIVE BYU TROUBLE - ESCAPE WITH A WIN:
1. ECU has a very good offense that can put up points. Their O is similar to BYUs as it plays at a faster pace, has a good balance of run/pass. They like to run a lot of misdirection for running plays and to also roll out the QB for the pass. This could really confuse BYU’s D unless the Cougs stay home and play their positions.
2. The Pirate D showed versus VTech that they can make stops and stop an offense. Their D players are athletic, fast and hit hard. They have a team that can take advantage of BYU mistakes.
3. ECU is 5-0 in their last five games against ACC teams. They have recruited good players and have been winning some recruiting battles for top in-state players against NCSU, UNC, Wake and Duke. The players are not a bunch one star, no name players with no other offers.
4. They have two viable options at QB – and they each exhibit slightly different styles of play. BYU’s D will have to prepare for BOTH QBs and their differing styles. BYU has not played running QBs very well. Their containment lacks consistency at times.
5. One of ECU’s strengths is with their O-line and their experience. If they pick up BYU’s blitzes and protect their QB on passing plays, their WR might get wide-open and make big plays. Give either of these QBs time, they pass effectively enough to pick BYU apart.
6. The ECU coaching staff knows Bronco’s D pretty well. When Brian Mitchell was the D coordinator for the Pirates a few years ago, the entire coaching staff flew out to Provo and spent a week learning Bronco’s D. ECU tried to implement Bronco’s D, but that fizzled out a few years later (and Brian was let go).
7. ECU is hoping that BYU is looking ahead to the Cincinnati game and overlooking the Pirates. If BYU comes out flat and not energized/ready, ECU will sock them in the mouth.

MY PREDICTION: BYU 31 ECU 20

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14701282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

East Carolina Scouting Report
They are 115th in the country at rushing S&P+. Their line is LAST in the country at getting push off the LOS. Their RBs aren't too bad when they get an opportunity. But, they rarely get a good opportunity to get to the next level.

Their passing offense is actually not bad. Not great, but not bad either. On 3rd downs, their adjusted S&P+ offense is 6th in country.

In fact, their biggest threat in the running game is when they put in Summers at QB.

On run defense, their DL stinks. They get pushed off the line easily and they can't stop "power" runs and they rarely stuff the RB for no loss or worse.

The strength of their defense is their LBs. They can't stop the run game but they also limit explosive running plays. Their DBs are also susceptible to the big pass plays (95th in country at limiting passing explosiveness).

This game will play into our strengths on offense. Our line is still 2nd in the country at getting push off the line. While our RBs aren't going to get big plays, we won't need them either. We will have the potential for Tanner to make some big plays in this game through the air.

We will need it too as ECU is decent on offense - especially if they play Summers at QB. He averages 9 yards per carry and almost 12 yards per pass attempt.

This one will be high scoring as I think ECU will end up scoring in the high 20s or low 30s. If Kemp plays, we will be able to hold them down in points a LOT easier.