CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

Post by Fido »

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2901735-15 ... avis-faces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An alleged dispute over a parking spot at a Provo apartment complex has left a BYU football player facing criminal charges just days before the Cougars' season-opener at Nebraska.

Junior defensive back Michael Davis faces assault and rioting charges in Provo's 4th District Court for an incident that occurred on July 29, according to court documents filed last week.

"We are aware of the citation and it has been addressed by the university," BYU football spokesperson Brett Pyne said.

The assault charge is a class A misdemeanor, while the rioting charge is a Class B misdemeanor.

Davis has pleaded not guilty to the charges and has requested a jury trial. He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 1.
=========================================================================
Sometimes it is exhausting being a fan of this team.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

Post by frdbtr »

**sigh** This is ridiculous. :angry:

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Reportedly his car got booted at an apartment complex in Provo and he threatened the tow truck driver. The rioting must be because of a buddy there doing it too (per rioting definition). Details yet to come out.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Apparently there are some real Ute fans in the DA's office to come up with such ridiculous charges for the crime committed.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

The booting in Provo is rediculous. It's worse than any other city I have had the pleasure living in or visiting. The root of it is caused by the city of Provo basically contracting the service out to 3rd parties that get paid by the number of boots they put on. Most other places simply use local law enforcement.

Will never forget the time I went with a roommate to pick up a check. We literally parked the car in an empty school parking lot, ran to the door and ran back. In the min we were gone a boot was on the car. We got there just as the guy was finishing the job. The guy doing it was a classmate of my friends, they having worked on a couple of projects together. The booter wouldn't remove the boot. Claiming he was a man of his word or some sort and taking the boot off would go against his principles. As my friend drilled him further he found out the booter got paid for each boot and the real reason he wouldn't take the boot off was because he needed the money. We decided to waste the booter's time by arguing with him.

While I have no idea what happened with Davis, I would automatically side with Davis. I suspect race may be at play here.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

So it's not so much injuries this season, but arrests? I don't know which I prefer as they all seem to take their toll. Charges seem a bit bogus. I don't blame someone for getting upset about being booted. Totally stupid.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

The citizens of Provo need to put pressure on the mayor to fix this predatory practice.they prey on BYU students.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Gunk wrote:The booting in Provo is rediculous. It's worse than any other city I have had the pleasure living in or visiting. The root of it is caused by the city of Provo basically contracting the service out to 3rd parties that get paid by the number of boots they put on. Most other places simply use local law enforcement.

Will never forget the time I went with a roommate to pick up a check. We literally parked the car in an empty school parking lot, ran to the door and ran back. In the min we were gone a boot was on the car. We got there just as the guy was finishing the job. The guy doing it was a classmate of my friends, they having worked on a couple of projects together. The booter wouldn't remove the boot. Claiming he was a man of his word or some sort and taking the boot off would go against his principles. As my friend drilled him further he found out the booter got paid for each boot and the real reason he wouldn't take the boot off was because he needed the money. We decided to waste the booter's time by arguing with him.

While I have no idea what happened with Davis, I would automatically side with Davis. I suspect race may be at play here.

Seriously dude? Race? You really gotta go there? The prejudice is toward anyone BYU. Everyone knows this. Racism isn't wiped out, but to put it in play here cheapens a lot of things. What's next? I won't go there. Booters are looters and Provo city is complicit in draconian tactics to raise money. And students are notorious for thinking they are above posted parking laws. But boosters are over the top.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Gunk wrote:The booting in Provo is rediculous. It's worse than any other city I have had the pleasure living in or visiting. The root of it is caused by the city of Provo basically contracting the service out to 3rd parties that get paid by the number of boots they put on. Most other places simply use local law enforcement.

Seriously dude? Race? You really gotta go there? The prejudice is toward anyone BYU. Everyone knows this. Racism isn't wiped out, but to put it in play here cheapens a lot of things. What's next? I won't go there. Booters are looters and Provo city is complicit in draconian tactics to raise money. And students are notorious for thinking they are above posted parking laws. But boosters are over the top.
Yep. Are you going to pretend bias/prejudice doesn't exist?

You already admitted the booters are prejudice towards BYU students. That got him the boot. But what about the charges? Willing to bet if what Davis said was said by your typical white BYU student there would be no charges or lesser charges.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

scott715 wrote:The citizens of Provo need to put pressure on the mayor to fix this predatory practice.they prey on BYU students.
Agree 100%. This is aggressive, self serving, black jack-booted policies so the city (they get their cut) and a private business can line their pockets on the backs of struggling students. Provo has lost sight of "We the people" and replaced it with "I got mine from you". It's way over the top.