CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

Post by BlueK »

frdbtr wrote:The fact that Provo has a bunch of guys patrolling around looking for cars to boot is beside the point. The bottom line is, another BYU player has himself in trouble with the law this fall, and is likely to miss game time because of it. This has got to stop. This years schedule doesn't allow for this kind of reckless behavior from the players. Sports personalities, especially in a small college town like Provo are under a microscope. The players need to realize this and conduct themselves accordingly.
true that BYU football players need to behave themselves. But in this case I think you're likely getting a little ahead of the story.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I don't have a lot of pity for people who park in no-parking areas, even for a brief moment, and get booted. You either didn't check the signs, or you took a gamble that you would be in-and-out before you got caught. You could have prevented it.

I do have sympathy for people who get booted when legally parked, but those are far FAR away the minority of gripers. Mostly it's folks upset they got caught when they thought they wouldn't be noticed.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

it's a punishment fitting the "crime" issue. I've never been anywhere that puts boots on cars over simple parking violations other than Provo, which seems to do it as fast as possible and at the drop of a hat. (well duh, because someone is profiting from it) Yes, people shouldn't park illegally, but a fine should be good enough 99% of the time. But then you read about how the city contracts with a company and pays them based on how many cars they can boot and you end up with a heavy handed enforcement based on cronyism that is fertile ground for corrruption. The populace really shouldn't put up with it. The government is way too powerful, and when they can hide behind private contractors to do their dirty work it's frankly kind of of scary. But fortunately for me I don't live there anymore.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Anyone know what the recidivism rate is for people who get their cars booted? I bet it's pretty low.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I've been lots of places that boot for parking infractions--Chicago, San Francisco, Waco, Fort Worth to name a few. Provo is only unique (in my experience) with the private enforcement mechanism. You're more likely to get booted in Provo, but that's just the odds. Booting is just a fine enforcement mechanism--parking ticket fines are notoriously hard to collect because they attach to the vehicle registration, not the driver's license. Provo's private enforcement mechanism was a reaction to problems Provo was having with the upstanding Provo citizens not paying their parking tickets. The other option would be to start issuing warrants for unpaid tickets and dragging car owners (not necessarily the people who were actually driving the car) into court for the parking fees. Is it perfect? No. But if people obeyed the signs or actually paid parking tickets, it wouldn't be an issue.

If you think Provo is absurd, a friend's wife just had her car booted by San Diego Port Authority just last week. She was dropping off her in-laws at the airport and "parked" the car in the no-parking land for <3 minutes while helping get bags out of the trunk. They actually booted her car in the middle of traffic and made her either pay the fine there or have the car towed. They actually booted the car in the through lane of the airport drop-off loop and blocked traffic for 15 minutes to collect the fine.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BlueK wrote:
frdbtr wrote:The fact that Provo has a bunch of guys patrolling around looking for cars to boot is beside the point. The bottom line is, another BYU player has himself in trouble with the law this fall, and is likely to miss game time because of it. This has got to stop. This years schedule doesn't allow for this kind of reckless behavior from the players. Sports personalities, especially in a small college town like Provo are under a microscope. The players need to realize this and conduct themselves accordingly.
true that BYU football players need to behave themselves. But in this case I think you're likely getting a little ahead of the story.
How am I getting ahead of the story? I mentioned nothing about guilt or innocence, I mentioned that he put himself in a bad position. Takitaki also put himself in a bad position. If Davis is convicted of this, he may lose game time because of it and that hurts the team. You don't get convicted of assault and not get punished by at least the team and maybe the honor code office too. The team doesn't need this right now. Our secondary is thin enough.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Key point made by BYU football spokesman Brett Pyne, “We are aware of the citation, and it has been addressed by the university." Past tense, old news - the alleged incident occurred on July 29. He is listed as starting Boundary Corner (BC) opposite Hannemann at Field Corner (FC). Bronco has also stated that the situation has been addressed.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Additional news, it was reported in the Deseret News that Davis was issued a citation at the scene but was not taken into custody. He pleaded not guilty to the August 30 charge, and has obtained legal counsel and requested a jury trial.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If Davis indeed touched the guy then he may not have much of a chance. Could be the guy got in Davis's face and Davis pushed him off. Innocent until proven guilty, and the great thing is since there will be a trail we will get to hear all the juicy details and get to talk about it again and again.

Regarding boots, I lived in the Bay Area and they are no where near as aggressive as Provo. I understand if someone parks where they aren't supposed to park they run a risk, but requiring someone to have a parking permit to park in a public school parking lot after 5 pm is rediculous.

A friend of mine got booted in Provo when he parked his car behind his roommate's car as he ran in to grab something. He lived in the apartment complex, had a permit, and a parking spot but for convenience sake just pulled the car up behind his roommate's while he ran into his apartment. His roommates had no problem with it and were there why it went down. None of this was visible from the street and all took place within the parking garage of his complex. The booter was driving around in apartment complex's parking lots looking for violators.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

So here is more details on Michael Davis (and some of the previous rumors appear to not be true or at least not confirmed): http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2905382-15 ... ack?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading from the police report, Provo police spokesperson Nisha Henderson provided additional details from the altercation.

She said Davis, 20, was cited shortly after 7 p.m. on July 29 at the Old Mill Apartments, 728 W. 1720 North, where he had allegedly gotten into an altercation with a male of similar age over a parking stall.

That male, who is pressing charges, called police and allegedly had "visible injuries on his neck" that did not require medical attention when authorities arrived at the scene.

Davis was accompanied by two other males before the alleged assault occurred, but Provo police will not release their identities because they were not involved. No weapons, alcohol or drugs were involved, according to the report.

Davis was issued a citation at the scene but was not taken into custody. He pleaded not guilty to the charges in August and has obtained legal counsel and requested a jury trial.
=======================
The part to me that is a little fishy is the rioting charge. http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/re ... t-utah.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Utah, a riot is a gathering of three or more people who are

engaging in violent or threatening behavior and creating a risk of alarming others
intending to engage in violent or threatening behavior within a short period of time, or
intending to commit a crime against another person or another person’s property.

Regardless of the outcome of the assault charge, I'm wondering if the rioting charge will stick because in the police report it said the two other males there with Davis would not be identified "because they were not involved". If they weren't involved and none faced any charges, why would there be a charge of rioting just for Davis--which by definition requires 3 or more people to be involved?