CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Michael Davis facing assault and rioting charges

Post by snoscythe »

The "minor, visible injuries" suffered by another individual suggest this is more than just an argument with threats made.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36310907&nid=27 ... d=toppick3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Gunk wrote:The booting in Provo is rediculous. It's worse than any other city I have had the pleasure living in or visiting. The root of it is caused by the city of Provo basically contracting the service out to 3rd parties that get paid by the number of boots they put on. Most other places simply use local law enforcement.

Will never forget the time I went with a roommate to pick up a check. We literally parked the car in an empty school parking lot, ran to the door and ran back. In the min we were gone a boot was on the car. We got there just as the guy was finishing the job. The guy doing it was a classmate of my friends, they having worked on a couple of projects together. The booter wouldn't remove the boot. Claiming he was a man of his word or some sort and taking the boot off would go against his principles. As my friend drilled him further he found out the booter got paid for each boot and the real reason he wouldn't take the boot off was because he needed the money. We decided to waste the booter's time by arguing with him.

While I have no idea what happened with Davis, I would automatically side with Davis. I suspect race may be at play here.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Seriously dude? Race? You really gotta go there? The prejudice is toward anyone BYU. Everyone knows this. Racism isn't wiped out, but to put it in play here cheapens a lot of things. What's next? I won't go there. Booters are looters and Provo city is complicit in draconian tactics to raise money. And students are notorious for thinking they are above posted parking laws. But boosters are over the top.
Yep. Are you going to pretend bias/prejudice doesn't exist?

You already admitted the booters are prejudice towards BYU students. That got him the boot. But what about the charges? Willing to bet if what Davis said was said by your typical white BYU student there would be no charges or lesser charges.

What got him the assault charges is he likely touched the booter/tow truck guy. What got him the rioting charge is an associate likely touched the guy too.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Aggressive booters is why I carry a portable cutting torch (in the trunk) and why I tie a nasty Rottweiler to my rear bumper - with a 20' rope - and he hasn't eaten in 3 days. Gotta make a statement.
;)

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

They once booted my Brother in Law, who was correctly parked, with a parking pass, in his parking space. They claimed the pass wasn't visible when they booted him, which was a lie. They just weren't paying attention.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Gunk wrote:The booting in Provo is rediculous. It's worse than any other city I have had the pleasure living in or visiting. The root of it is caused by the city of Provo basically contracting the service out to 3rd parties that get paid by the number of boots they put on. Most other places simply use local law enforcement.

Will never forget the time I went with a roommate to pick up a check. We literally parked the car in an empty school parking lot, ran to the door and ran back. In the min we were gone a boot was on the car. We got there just as the guy was finishing the job. The guy doing it was a classmate of my friends, they having worked on a couple of projects together. The booter wouldn't remove the boot. Claiming he was a man of his word or some sort and taking the boot off would go against his principles. As my friend drilled him further he found out the booter got paid for each boot and the real reason he wouldn't take the boot off was because he needed the money. We decided to waste the booter's time by arguing with him.

While I have no idea what happened with Davis, I would automatically side with Davis. I suspect race may be at play here.

Seriously dude? Race? You really gotta go there? The prejudice is toward anyone BYU. Everyone knows this. Racism isn't wiped out, but to put it in play here cheapens a lot of things. What's next? I won't go there. Booters are looters and Provo city is complicit in draconian tactics to raise money. And students are notorious for thinking they are above posted parking laws. But boosters are over the top.
Yep. Are you going to pretend bias/prejudice doesn't exist?

You already admitted the booters are prejudice towards BYU students. That got him the boot. But what about the charges? Willing to bet if what Davis said was said by your typical white BYU student there would be no charges or lesser charges.

What got him the assault charges is he likely touched the booter/tow truck guy. What got him the rioting charge is an associate likely touched the guy too.
Yep. Davis grabbed him.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Ddawg wrote:Aggressive booters is why I carry a portable cutting torch (in the trunk) and why I tie a nasty Rottweiler to my rear bumper - with a 20' rope - and he hasn't eaten in 3 days. Gotta make a statement.
;)
Now we're talkin!

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

This is the kind of problem that has been allowed to go to excess. I'm sure there are some legitimate parking issues, but such aggressive booting policies should be looked into by local officials. When companies make profits from such policies, it ended being about parking issues. I have the same complaint with communities that have consistent speed traps because they are now strung out on the cash flow and have hired patrolmen/patrolwomen simply to staff such arrangements. It was never was supposed to be like that.

I remember 5 or so years ago my son ran into an Orem business to drop off an application. Gone maybe 2-3 minutes. He had parked in a no parking area thinking that surely in 2-3 minutes he wouldn't stop the earth from rotating or something. In that short time, they had his car booted. That indicates that these company's employee individuals to sit in parking lots just to boot cars that the local government has empowered them to do. Once again it was done without the thought that these companies would thrive on this income, but to help in a situation. It's time this was looked into.

Another predatory city is Houston. We constantly have missionary cars booted/towed at the drop of a hat. The amount indicates that likewise businesses have sprung up totally on the income they can make employing individuals to legally exploit these types of laws.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Geez, this all sounds ridiculous. I don't think Davis will lose if he sticks to his rights and forces the city to make its case in court. I suppose the city could try to get nasty and pull out legal shenanigans like trying to keep BYU students or fans off the jury, but that likely wouldn't fly and the PR for the city would be terrible.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

The fact that Provo has a bunch of guys patrolling around looking for cars to boot is beside the point. The bottom line is, another BYU player has himself in trouble with the law this fall, and is likely to miss game time because of it. This has got to stop. This years schedule doesn't allow for this kind of reckless behavior from the players. Sports personalities, especially in a small college town like Provo are under a microscope. The players need to realize this and conduct themselves accordingly.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I'm not a fan of the Provo Police Dept. Every encounter I've had with them has been unprofessional and aggravating. I personally don't think race had anything to do with the charges, just police hubris and incompetence.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,