Who are you? (5 Q's)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Who are you? (5 Q's)

Post by BoiseBYU »

imuakahuku wrote:Where am I from?
Originally the world :) Dad was a Marine and a TSGT in the AF. Born in Germany while he was stationed there. Moved to Hawaii when i was 9.

My Moniker
Imua sort of translates to "onward", "forward", or "Upward". And Kahuku the school I attended from 7th-12th grade.
I got Imua from Uncle Doug who coached the Pirates in Little League Baseball. Every game they gave the cheer imua and it seemed to really pull them together to succeed. So this is a shout out to the my school. We've had the slogan "Pride of the North Shore" for decades. But it didn't start with football or sports at all. Back from 1979 into the 80's our marching band was ranked as a Top 10 Marching Band nationally. I remember as a kid going to watch my older brothers march (three of my brothers were in band and me and one other played football - and we all wrestled except the oldest). Kahuku is one of the poorest schools in the nation. We have always and will probably always have a dirt track. We had more portable classrooms than ones with concrete floors. But since moving I realized that didn't matter to us students. We cared more about the people in the rooms than the rooms themselves. When the state raised the minimum GPA to 2.0 to play sports we were the only public high school in Hawaii to not have one player lose eligibility. We were already at or above that as a school policy. Kahuku recently raised it again. We also had a top debate team and a very high graduation rate. So most of my pride is not based on the athletics but on the culture of the school. I will say I think we have/had a huge advantage because it was probably 60% or more LDS. I'll also admit that it is a "tough" school and until my older brother beat up nearly all the boys (in 6th grade) when we first moved there things were not good for us. But we all stood our ground and now one of the most cherished things I remember is a picture of me and my best friend out our 6th grade graduation from Laie Ele. Above me one of the family members wrote "Ugly Samoan" and put an arrow pointing to me.

Earliest Cougar Memory
Watching the hail mary against SMU on TV and then running outside and playing with some of the neighbor kids and "reliving" it over and over again.

Why I am a fan and my level of fandom
I love what BYU stands for but more than that I think they are right to make it a center piece of the athletic program. What they stand for is far more important than any victory or even the 1984 NC. Before Hawaii, I was living in Miami. My parents were separated and looking to get divorced. My dad was pretty tough on my mom and got drunk occasionally where he would come home and before long the cops would be arriving. I remember sitting outside and the cops arriving and calling him by his first name. Anyway, they were separated (we were with mom) and they decided to give it one more shot. He said uncle sam would pay for one last move and he asked mom where she wanted to go. She said Hawaii. We packed up and moved there. I see this as God's answer to the prayers of a little boy. We lived there for a couple of years and things didn't get much better. Then one day I was home sick and a couple of guys were at the door. My mom let them in and since that day to the day he died my dad never spoke another harsh word to my mother. Five of us were baptized a few months later. My oldest brother got baptized a month after us and he then baptized my dad a year later. I will never be able to fully explain the impact this had in my life. When I hear people say "I don't know where I would be if it weren't for the church" I think to myself, I do, I know where I would be. I know exactly where I was headed and luckily (not really luck) everything I looked at as important or part of life when I was just 10 was avoided. I remember telling my friends I couldn't wait until I could smoke, drink, fool around and all that (at 10 years old). But He sent two young men to my home and I will never be able to thank him enough. This is partly why I love what this team stands for. I know what those little kids are learning but our teams are teaching a different message. And it is the greatest and most important message and hopefully it is able to reach a lot more 10 year old kids and inspire them and give them hope and happiness. Sorry to go so long but this is why I love BYU sports so much and I still can't explain how much the impact has been on me but this is a start. So to all those that have gone on a mission or plan to go or are thinking of going, do it. I don't know if you will ever regret not going but I can promise you that you will never regret going. I think we were those missionaries only baptisms. But nearly all my brothers served. Just on my mission to Guatemala I was blessed to be involved in the conversion of over 100 souls (that was my goal for my mission, I hit it just after my first year so I stopped counting). I take no credit for it by the way. It was all the Spirit, I know that and I know that my companions and I were just the means.
Thank you for sharing. I'm humbled to have read.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:South American mission goers don't know what it's like to go to a mission field that gets very few baptisms. Such a different (and great) perspective to have.
I have 2 brother-in-laws who both served in Norway (15 years apart) and a nephew who recently served in Latvia. I think between the 3 of them they can count on one hand the number of baptisms they took part in. We were very blessed as missionaries in Guatemala (in Central America, btw) to see many accept the Gospel into their lives and enter the waters of baptism. However, illiteracy, poverty, hunger, military oppression and a 30 year old civil war did create some challenging circumstances. Amazing how one can experience The Holy Spirit in a plywood shack with a dirt floor, a tin roof, a kerosene lamp for lighting, with chickens and/or pigs on the loose, and a torrential downpour outside. The Lord truly does work in a miraculous way. That is what is so great about every mission everywhere, though the environments and cultures may be very different, the challenges and miracles that occur seem to be very similar. I can respect the decisions of those who chose not to serve, but they are missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime IMO.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Where are you from?

Phoenix, Arizona. Currently live in Mesa, Arizona.

What does your moniker mean?

It is a tribute to my Mission. I served in Jamaica.

Earliest Cougar memory?

1982 Holiday Bowl. I watched the game with my dad at his friend's house. I fell asleep sometime during the 2nd half. I was 6 years old.

Why are you a fan?

My fandom started because my dad went there. Then it was because I am Mormon at it was a good out of state alternative for school. Actually attending BYU cemented it for me.

How do you rate your level of fandom?

A couple of notches below All In. I love the University of Arizona as well so I can't say BYU is the only college I love. Due to proximity, I have been to and watched more of Arizona's football and basketball games than BYU. I probably would have gone there for school if the Jamaican mail didn't lose the application my mother sent me while I was on my mission.

For this reason, I would rather BYU go back to the MWC than join the Pac-12 and play Arizona (I realize that wouldn't be best for BYU, but it would be best for me.). I get absolutely sick when they play each other in any sport.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

mormonrasta wrote: For this reason, I would rather BYU go back to the MWC than join the Pac-12 and play Arizona (I realize that wouldn't be best for BYU, but it would be best for me.). I get absolutely sick when they play each other in any sport.
How about Arizona go to the MWC and BYU to the Pac. They've had their turn.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

Where are you from?
Texas. Raised here and now raising my own family here.

It's a nickname I got from a friend's dad. I started out on Cougarblue around 2003 or so and was a little late migrating officially to cougar corner. I don't post as often as many, but I visit many times each week. Wouldn't mind having a wheel of time related moniker. Great series.

Also in High School they had us design a coat of arms for ourselves in world history. Mine included the cougar logo with the cougar walking across the BYU letters on top. I'm quite attached to it. I use that logo for my avatar.

Earliest Cougar memory?
John Walsh leading BYU to victory over the Fighting Irish

Why are you a fan?
I was raised a fan. Parents both went to BYU. I only applied to go to BYU (glad I got accepted). Like many here, I love what BYU represents even if not everything is perfect 100% of the time.

I agree with the doctrines of the church of the undefeated season. I always hold out hope that we will win, even if I know it's a long shot. I hate losing regardless of circumstances. My march madness brackets are prone to BYU being crowned champion, unless I'm employing a reverse psychology method for that particular year. I don't necessarily "expect" us to win, but I certainly can't pick us to lose any one game.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

mtnradio wrote:Where are you from?

Born and raised in Ammon, Idaho (yes, I'm one of the people of Ammon ;) ) ... Ammon is a "suburb" of Idaho Falls. Currently live in Clarkston, Washington (on the Idaho and Oregon border)

I used to be a radio talk show host, as a freelancer, I started the Mountain Radio Network.

Earliest Cougar memory?

My Dad was a sportscaster for Ricks College. We played BYU Jv teams. From as early as I can remember I cheered for BYU ... just cheered more for Ricks. BUT, I do remember as a 4 year old winning a pair of slacks from Mr. Macs from a guess the score competition with Paul James. Dad was watching Paul on KSL and was shocked to hear his 4 year old's name announced as the winner. I have clear memories of cheering for Giff Nielson ... what a great QB!

Why are you a fan?
Raised right. Mom went to BYU, my sister and older brother went to BYU. My other brother was recruited by Lavell but due to back injury could not play there ... 4 of his six sons either have or are playing there now. My daughter attends there now. I have bled blue since birth.

8) :crazy: :evil: Love the Cougs!
Taking a guess that your brother was Lance Richardson of the book, The Message, fame? One of the greatest books I have ever read.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

StatsCougar
BLUEshirt

Post by StatsCougar »

Where are you from?
I'm an Air Force Brat, but when to High School in Layton when my dad was stationed at Hill. Served in the California Roseville mission 03-05.

My Bachelor's Degree is in Statistics.

Earliest Cougar memory?
I have vague memories of BYU playing Miami (I'm 31). I do remember playing football in my yard when I was young with my older brother and wanting to be Detmer and Belini. When we liked in Utah, I remember listening to Paul James on the radio.

Why are you a fan?
It's in my blood. Both parents graduated from BYU. Father watched Football and basketball when he could, mom was interested in how her team did. I grow up with a very supportive family in that way. Every sibling applied to BYU and most graduated from their. (1 Aggie and 1 Ute (Not a BYU Hater), 5 Cougars)

Overly optimistic, but rarely has chance to watch or listen to games since being married. (Soccer is about the only sport I can get my wife to watch and is only because she played in high school and understands the rules).