2015 home attendance bounces back so far from 2014

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2015 home attendance bounces back so far from 2014

Post by Stirfry »

Game started at 8:30 on a rainy night. I was there but it was tough with kids. If we were in the mtn west I probably would have gone to bed and got up early to go duck hunting. I can't imagine antendance staying level if we went back. Maybe if they started giving away tickets like the Utes and reporting tickets sold/given rather than people in the seats.

LES is making an effort to make the game day experience better.

(However there's no way there was only 8k empty seats.)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I think we've had our top two attendance games this season already...

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I'm hopeful that this Saturday has good attendance. It is homecoming, East Carolina appears to be a decent team, the weather forecast has been updated to be 80 degrees and sunny, and they have a more favorable 5:30pm start time.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Fido wrote:I'm hopeful that this Saturday has good attendance. It is homecoming, East Carolina appears to be a decent team, the weather forecast has been updated to be 80 degrees and sunny, and they have a more favorable 5:30pm start time.
The problem with playing a good ECU team is that the only people who truly realize ECU is a decent opponent are probably already planning on attending the game. They have little to no name recognition with casual fans. The casual read-the-des-news fans won't really have any extra motivation to attend this one, especially if they are worried about the headache of getting to and from Provo during homecoming weekend.

Does anyone from out-of-state really attend homecoming anyway?

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

There looked like a lot more than 56 there Friday night. I expect more people there next week given the time and weather. fans are excited again. only cougar board is pissed that we are 3-2. Casual fans are wearing their BYU gear again and excited to watch Mangum. if we don't lose to cinci or ecu, attendance won't go down much aside from raelly bad weather games and wagner.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

And really for Wagner, it is a rare saturday afternoon game with a 1pm start. As long as the weather isn't bad, people should show up.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The biggest difference so far? The student section is showing up like they haven't in years.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Fido wrote:2014 had the lowest home attendance since 1981 (I believe is the stat I saw) with 57,141--while stadium capacity is listed as 63,725. This year's' games look better than last year so far:
9/12 - Boise State - 63,470
10/2 - UCONN - 56,393
10/10 - East Carolina (Homecoming) - 60,186
10/17 - Cincinnati -
10/24 - Wagner -
11/21 - Fresno State -

Hopefully the numbers for next week are good with homecoming--though I hear there might be some rain again next weekend like there was this past weekend. The 2 game average is 59,931.5 but I'd LOVE to see it top 60k again. Wagner of course will be the lowest attendance I'd bet unless we have a weekend with terrible weather.
Ok, updated the attendance with last night's game. The average is back now over 60k half way through the home schedule. Cincinnati should be another tough matchup with their strong passing game. Hopefully the fans keep coming out. The projections say next week could be mid-70s and cloudy but rains are expected to stay south. It is an ESPN game and a 6pm start so hopefully there is a push to fill the stadium.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Was impressed how full the stadium was on Saturday. Only a few corners looked a little ragged. The royal blue looked good too.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

I was very surprised at how many ECU fans were there. They certainly represented well especially after the lack luster showing fan from UCONN. In fact I talked to a group of about 8 guys from New Orleans that came into town 2 days early for a business conference in Salt Lake, but they wanted to catch a football game. They were neither ECU nor BYU fans but just wanted to come experience the game. Pretty cool.