Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

Post by Fido »

For 2019 it means the road game schedule would be full.
Home
Utah
USC
Washington
Boise State

Road
at Virginia
at Toledo
at Utah State
at Washington State
at UMass
at Boston College (tentative)

Crazy how that goes--the home schedule looks much tougher than the road schedule in 2019.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Home schedules as an independent:
The lean years - there were few P5 home games or regional games that would be high attendance games (Boise State, Utah State). 2012 and 2013 were good but the others only had 1 or 2 "good" games on it.

2011 Utah, UCF, Utah State, San Jose State, Idaho State, Idaho, New Mexico State
2012 Washington State, Weber State, Hawaii, Utah State, Oregon State, Idaho
2013 Texas, Utah, Middle Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Idaho State
2014 Houston, Virginia, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV, Savannah State
2015 Boise State, UConn, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Wagner, Fresno State

But starting next season, the independent home schedule really seems to turn around with 3-4 of the 6 home games what I would classify as "draw" games (P5 or good regional games with tickets in demand) and I would expect to see attendance jump accordingly.

2016 UCLA, Toledo, Mississippi State, UMass, Utah State, Boston College [tentative]
2017 Utah, Wisconsin, Boise State, San Jose State, UMass, TBA
2018 Cal, Utah State, Northern Illinois, Hawaii, TBA, TBA
2019 Utah, USC, Washington, Boise State, TBA, TBA
2020 Michigan State, Utah State, Missouri, TBA, TBA, TBA
2021 Arizona State, Boise State, TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA

So if someone dropped their season tickets due to weak home schedules in recent years, I'd go pick them back up.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

We do have a schedule that is P5 caliber, but we really need to improve recruiting to endure it.

According to 24/7 sports composite recruiting rankings (which creates a composite ranking from the major recruiting services like Scout, Rivals, espn, etc.) BYU has consistently out recruited only 2 of the current P5 schools over the last 10 years:

Purdue and Wake Forest.

Schools like Washington St., Kansas, Iowa St., Indiana, Duke and Vanderbilt have all recruited at a similar level to BYU. This would be great news for basketball, but not so much for football.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

For 5 of those 10 years they were in a G5 league though so it isn't shocking. Recruiting does need to improve though.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Fido wrote:For 5 of those 10 years they were in a G5 league though so it isn't shocking. Recruiting does need to improve though.
Except our composite ranking seems to be getting worse as an indy not better

2015 64
2014 66
2013 64
2012 72
2011 68
2010 30
2009 51
2008 43
2007 45
2006 64

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

mormonrasta wrote:
Fido wrote:For 5 of those 10 years they were in a G5 league though so it isn't shocking. Recruiting does need to improve though.
Except our composite ranking seems to be getting worse as an indy not better

2015 64
2014 66
2013 64
2012 72
2011 68
2010 30
2009 51
2008 43
2007 45
2006 64

Exactly. Any "hated, weak minded" fool can see that our players, while filled with faith are not skilled enough as David to just say simply go "TRY" and kill more Goliaths in 2016. Oh sure Tom Holmoe can write the checks that the players and coaches can "TRY" to cash, but if 2015 schedule was "built especially for Taysoms and Jamal's Senior year", what was (and is soon to be w yet another P5 team) the "rationale" for 2016? Wait, I know....
"C'mon guys, you can " TRY" an Hail Mary every game and it should work. It worked twice in 2015 and prevented an 0-4 start. What's wrong with you guys? Are you not "TRYING" hard enough? Hey, if nothing else, our delusional fans love the thought that we are TRYING to compete at a P5 level. Just remember boys, you were laying a path for others to walkWho come behind. Never mind, that Tanner Mangum would otherwise probably break all the records if you werent getting chased all over Hades by even more players bigger, more athletic players. Coaches, you need to "TRY" harder to recruit better. Recruits, you need to TRY harder to see that we have so many advantages playing games that you will be more visible with a top 10 SOS, not withstanding a 6-6 record, and that's if our elite 11 QB stays healthy. Players, you need to "TRY" harder to miraculously win more games. If you don't succeed well, even though you have a losing season, don't worry, the fans won't hate you and turn away from you, because they knew you"TRIED." But, If you do win, that is awesome, we are going to for sures get a spot in a P5 conference. I just know it, I feel it in my bones, at least I "TRY" to feel that in my bones. At least I am trying, can't you see that? Now, you go and do the same. You "TRY" harder and maybe, just maybe, not withstanding more of you will experience injuries than normal, against bigger faster athletes, maybe,The P5 Anti-trust Will "TRY" harder to let us in. "TRY PEOPLE, TRY!" TRY HARDER IN 2016. WE CAN PART THE RED SEA OF THE P5 AND LET MY PEOPLE IN.... IF ONLY WE T.........R..........Y, TRY!!!!! INow, go team go!!!!!

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

Every P5 conference which has a rule about playing P5 competition considers BYU to be a P5 team. So the "haves" of college football more than likely think we play a P5 caliber schedule. I'd say so far so good.

Also, this year still has the potential to be a really good year. I guess we'll see how things pan out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

There's so little data on independence that it is skewed by our QB troubles over the past five years. If we had a Beck or Hall back there during the time, we'd be ranked higher. It has nothing to do with independence.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Schmoe wrote:There's so little data on independence that it is skewed by our QB troubles over the past five years. If we had a Beck or Hall back there during the time, we'd be ranked higher. It has nothing to do with independence.
That's true. Plus the non-Anae years at OC. It does skew the stats. This year and next are a chance for BYU to really show if they are making steps forward or just laterally.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Ok, changed my post because I'm working on being nice...

Injuries happen in football. They happen against P5 teams. They happen against FCS teams (Riley Nelson's broken back against Weber). They happen against G5 teams (USU twice). They happen with contact and without contact. They happen with good trainers. They happen with bad trainers. They happen to the team with the highest SOS, and the lowest.

We lost 13 starters last year due to injuries initially sustained in the USU game. Not any of our P5 opponents...no, no, no. Other major injuries happened against USF.

I highly doubt there is much correlation between strength of schedule and injuries. If that were the case, the SEC teams would be losing 15 players a week, right?

Enjoy the schedule. Sure, it's not likely to bring an undefeated season, but usually only 1 team in the country ends without a loss. Rarely is there a year like 2004 with 4 teams unbeaten at the end.