Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14704183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at FEI's program ratings, which encompasses the past 5 years, BYU plays:

http://www.bcftoys.com/2014-pfei/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15. Missouri
21. UCLA
24. Boise State
28. Nebraska
44. Utah State
47. Michigan
50. Cincinnati
57. East Carolina

That's 8 schools in the top 65 in FBS, with one FCS school and 3 G5-level schools.

Next year, we play:

8. Michigan State
21. UCLA
22. Mississippi State
24. Boise State
27. Arizona
31. Utah
41. West Virginia
44. Utah State
50. Cincinnati
53. Toledo

That's 10 schools in the top 65 in FBS. We're still missing one game (most likely a home FCS opponent) and a 1 G5-level school.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

Post by scott715 »

latest rumor is that we are working on a series with BC at Provo 2016 and there 2019. If that happens, next year we will play a team from each P5 League. P12 (UCLA, AZ, utah) B12 (WV) B10 (Mich St) ACC (BC) SEC (Miss St).

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Put BC on that schedule and it's just pure butchery. Enough already. This is program suicide. Practically a level of sell-out if not total desperation, if not exploitation of our boys that could turn a fan base on its side if it doesn't have at least a marginally acceptable year at 7-5 if not worse at 6-6 or shudder, worse and no bowl game. WHY? TO WHAT END? its shear madness.
"Neuroses is the illegitimate form of suffering." SFreud

"Any virtue pressed to an extreme becomes a vice." BKPacker

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Put BC on that schedule and it's just pure butchery. Enough already. This is program suicide. Practically a level of sell-out if not total desperation, if not exploitation of our boys that could turn a fan base on its side if it doesn't have at least a marginally acceptable year at 7-5 if not worse at 6-6 or shudder, worse and no bowl game. WHY? TO WHAT END? its shear madness.
"Neuroses is the illegitimate form of suffering." SFreud

"Any virtue pressed to an extreme becomes a vice." BKPacker
Disagree. We can beat all the P12 teams, WV, BC, and possibly Miss St in that list, and I'd much rather go .500-.750 against that list than 1.000 against inferior competition. Michigan State would probably be a loss, unless they lose a ton of guys from the current team.

To quote a line from Shenandoah that President Monson loves to quote, "And if we don't try, we don't do. And if we don't do, why are we here on this earth?" I'd rather try and fail than not try at all.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I don't really disagree with vamping up the schedule. The problem I have with it is the negativity from the fans when BYU doesn't go undefeated against the schedule. Take this year for example. BYU is 2-2 against a very difficult schedule even after having lost its starting QB, Starting RB, and Starting Nose tackle for significant time this year and we still have guys wanting to fire all the coaches because of it. If Taysom Hill was still the QB with this schedule, we would probably have idiots calling for his benching wanting Mangum to start (like what happened in 2009 with Max Hall, we had fans asking for Riley Nelson to replace him which prompted Bronco to call the fans ignorant. He still hasn't lived that down).

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I hate weak minded people that think weak minded things. Yes, we may get beat up (like TCU and Utah did for 3 years), but it pushes the program to become better. But we could also win.

Of course we play a P5 schedule...we just play it in reverse order.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I hate weak minded people that think weak minded things. Yes, we may get beat up (like TCU and Utah did for 3 years), but it pushes the program to become better. But we could also win.

I completely agree with you but, the difference between BYU, TCU and Utah is those programs can sell to the recruits not just the brand and the schedule. But also the conference and everything that possibly comes with being in that conference. I do believe BYU is a P5 program but every coach that is recruiting against BYU is going to point out that "technically" they are not. I would like to think that the higher profile schedule will help BYU get better but does the program have 3 years like Utah and TCU did? They are already part of the "dance" no matter how bad they got, BYU needs to look good now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

frdbtr wrote:I don't really disagree with vamping up the schedule. The problem I have with it is the negativity from the fans when BYU doesn't go undefeated against the schedule. Take this year for example. BYU is 2-2 against a very difficult schedule even after having lost its starting QB, Starting RB, and Starting Nose tackle for significant time this year and we still have guys wanting to fire all the coaches because of it. If Taysom Hill was still the QB with this schedule, we would probably have idiots calling for his benching wanting Mangum to start (like what happened in 2009 with Max Hall, we had fans asking for Riley Nelson to replace him which prompted Bronco to call the fans ignorant. He still hasn't lived that down).
They are non-credible blowhards, hardly worth considering.....

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

a1247 wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:I hate weak minded people that think weak minded things. Yes, we may get beat up (like TCU and Utah did for 3 years), but it pushes the program to become better. But we could also win.

I completely agree with you but, the difference between BYU, TCU and Utah is those programs can sell to the recruits not just the brand and the schedule. But also the conference and everything that possibly comes with being in that conference. I do believe BYU is a P5 program but every coach that is recruiting against BYU is going to point out that "technically" they are not. I would like to think that the higher profile schedule will help BYU get better but does the program have 3 years like Utah and TCU did? They are already part of the "dance" no matter how bad they got, BYU needs to look good now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
BYU's recruiting has improved over the time in independence because the coaches can sell them on the amount of people seeing their games and the team's they get to play and the places where they get to play. Next year BYU will likely be the only team to play a team from all five P5 conferences, plus the top team from all the G5 conferences as well (right now Toledo, not BSU would be in the NY6 game).

I don't think we're at P5 level recruiting success right now, but we're going to keep moving away from the G5 talent level.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

scott715 wrote:latest rumor is that we are working on a series with BC at Provo 2016 and there 2019. If that happens, next year we will play a team from each P5 League. P12 (UCLA, AZ, utah) B12 (WV) B10 (Mich St) ACC (BC) SEC (Miss St).
It would also mean no FCS game in 2016.
@ Arizona (N)
@ Utah
UCLA
@ West Virginia (N)
Toledo
@ Michigan State
Mississippi State
@ Boise State
Boston College (tentative)
BYE **this could be before or after the BC game
@ Cincinnati
UMass
Utah State

I guess UMass would fill the role of the FCS game in that schedule. I wonder if that will become a trend given how poorly attended the FCS game has been the last couple of years.
Last edited by Fido on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.