Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Does BYU have a P5 schedule?

Post by Fido »

I thought I should clarify my thoughts a bit since the topic seems to have gone a bit sideways shifting from the schedule to recruiting.
First scheduling:
There have been complains (justifyably so) about the independent schedule not being comparable to what it would be in a P5 conference--especially at home. But is seems like they are getting that addressed starting next season--and really this season for the road schedule. So kudos to Holmoe for setting a high target and working for it--even if it has taken 5 years to get close to what he envisioned. If BYU was in the Big 12, their conference schedule would have some combination of these teams for 9 of their 12 games: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia.
For 2016 BYU has these teams scheduled: Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Virginia, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Boston College (possibly), Boise State. Round out the schedule with USU, UMass, and Toledo and the schedule certainly looks to be in the same ballpark as a B12 schedule would be.
Now on recruiting:
There is no doubt that being in a P5 conference carries weight with recruits. I imagine that being in a G5 conference would feel a bit like a lower tier as far as recruiting. You will get interest from players but some may cross you off the list just because you are that lower tier.
Being independent, BYU is somewhere in that middle ground. You have an opportunity to sell the story about what BYU offers--including the TV package that gets on widely available channels so family/friends can watch you play, you get big games at big venues on your schedule (neutral site games at NFL stadiums), etc. Sometimes you get big name guys who really help your program, sometimes you miss on guys who could have really helped. From what I understand, depth is the big thing that being a P5-level team would help with. And that seems to be a weakness right now at BYU. I can't help but think the team is looking for ways to address it. There is always room for improvement and things are cyclical more than they are linear when it comes to football team performance. It is the rare team that is always seemingly "on top".