Taysom won't return to BYU as the starting QB

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom won't return to BYU as the starting QB

Post by SpiffCoug »

I know. I'm trying to remember what it said in the must-read book "And They Came to Pass..." by Lee Benson. Great book for those BYU fans who don't know how BYU came to be known as QB U.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

blue42 wrote:Everybody is missing the point here. Taysom cannot apply for a medical redshirt, the school is the one who applies, so if BYU wants Taysom back they will be the one that applies for it. Taysom can tell BYU he would like to come back but BYU holds the final decision.
I don't think anyone is necessarily missing that. I think everyone just realizes that even though BYU files the paperwork, its 100% Taysom's call. There is no scenario where Taysom wants a medical redshirt and BYU doesn't try for it, no matter what Taysom's intentions are. Imagine the field day opposing coaches would have in recruiting if they could bring up BYU kicking Taysom to the curb and refusing to make that application. It would be a PR and recruiting nightmare.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

snoscythe wrote:
blue42 wrote:Everybody is missing the point here. Taysom cannot apply for a medical redshirt, the school is the one who applies, so if BYU wants Taysom back they will be the one that applies for it. Taysom can tell BYU he would like to come back but BYU holds the final decision.
I don't think anyone is necessarily missing that. I think everyone just realizes that even though BYU files the paperwork, its 100% Taysom's call. There is no scenario where Taysom wants a medical redshirt and BYU doesn't try for it, no matter what Taysom's intentions are. Imagine the field day opposing coaches would have in recruiting if they could bring up BYU kicking Taysom to the curb and refusing to make that application. It would be a PR and recruiting nightmare.
You are absolutely correct sno and that is why I followed up with this in the next paragraph.

With that said, I do believe if Taysom wants to come back BYU would absolutely apply for the redshirt,
If Taysom wants his redshirt BYU would apply for it no questions asked. It would be a complete PR nightmare if they refused it, but I think they would love to have him back in some capacity.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I'd be really surprised if we ever see Taysom in a BYU uniform again. 1st half of the first game he injured himself, after all that work of getting healthy and in shape. I highly doubt he wants to do that again and there is no guarantee that it won't. He could go all season or play just one down. If history is any indication, he won't make it another season. Time to move on.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I guess I should be more specific. I don't think that Taysom and Tanner would be ugly towards each other in this hypothetical situation. However if Taysom comes back, he's going to come back to play quarterback. If tanner starts the year at qb instead of Taysom, it has a real chance of being an ugly situation in terms of fans arguing with each other and putting pressure on the coaches to start one guy versus the other. What makes this more difficult is that I think Taysom and Tanner are much better qb's than the guys from the previous era. So yeah, I was talking about message boards blowing up; not locker rooms. Not saying any of this definitely happens, but it's possible.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I find it extremely unlikely that Taysom comes back and "out of respect" chooses a different position than QB. If anything, Mangum should be willing to step back out of respect to Taysom if Taysom beats him out at the position.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Sure, there is respect. But Tanner doesn't want to be a 24 year old just entering his sophomore season. Anyone hoping for a Tanner redshirt is just pie in the sky.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Brayden Green wrote:Sure, there is respect. But Tanner doesn't want to be a 24 year old just entering his sophomore season. Anyone hoping for a Tanner redshirt is just pie in the sky.
You're probably right. I'm just saying hoping for Taysom to defer to Tanner and play something besides quarteback is a pie even higher in the sky (This of course only applies IF Taysom decides to come back, which is something I do not expect at this point).

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Hill has stated that he will not make a decision until 2016 and after graduation (gets his degree). He has to evaluate his recovery from the Lisfranc injury and career options with his degree/possible pursuit of MBA and NFL combine camp. He obviously has many things to consider in achieving his short and long-term goals. It will not be a hasty decision.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

If Hill comes back and wants to play, I hope Anae uses him in special packages like wildcat, slot, and lining up with Mangum in shotgun... who's gonna get the ball?