The Pukes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Pukes

Post by KingCoug »

I've said before, a Ute loss is almost as sweet to me as a BYU win. But I'm still waiting for that Ute loss and am starting to get concerned that they could be doing what they did in 2004 and 2008 when they had a senior QB and things lined up just right for them.

Now I don't want to hear any nonsense about "not caring" how the Utes are doing. Most Y fans who would say that are lying or at least living in denial. And the few that really don't care are even worse because they apparently don't comprehend the negative effect it has on BYU. It's about more than just "scoreboard" bragging rights which the Pukes have had since 2010. It's about them becoming more and more the premier football program in the state and pulling away from us in terms of prestige, recruiting talent, money, etc. Them being the first team to bust the BCS, as well doing it twice, is bad enough. But the thought of them getting to the playoffs is truly sickening. This really is a case where we have to keep up with the Joneses.

Looking at their remaining schedule, which games do they have the best chance of losing?

Arizona State
@ USC
Oregon State
@ Washington
@ Arizona
UCLA
Colorado
Last edited by KingCoug on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Re: The Pukes

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I really don't care about what they do. It doesn't effect BYU as much as the doom and gloomers say.

Utah wins out until the playoffs. Talent wise they could lose to USC, but they won't because the Trojans are a cluster right now.

Washington may be able to outcoach them.

If UCLA were healthy, they have the talent...but the pretty boys from Westwood won't fair well in November in Utah.

Maybe Stanford or Cal gets them in the Pac 12 title game.

If I were to guess though, they lose to Michigan when they play them in the semis or finals.

Utah won't be nearly as good next year. They lose so many seniors. Utah will have a good to great team every 4 to 5 years as they build up a good senior class.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Screamineagle
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Screamineagle »

I will have to rinse the taste of bile out of my mouth saying this, as much as I hate them I really dont see them losing to any of the teams they have left on their schedule. I just cant figure it out about every 4-5 years things line up for the Uturds keep waiting for it to happen for us and the wheels always fall off. Maybe they made a pact with the devil? I dont know.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Screamineagle wrote:I will have to rinse the taste of bile out of my mouth saying this, as much as I hate them I really dont see them losing to any of the teams they have left on their schedule. I just cant figure it out about every 4-5 years things line up for the Uturds keep waiting for it to happen for us and the wheels always fall off. Maybe they made a pact with the devil? I dont know.
Well that's just it. They make the run when the situation presents itself and they have a senior-laden team, including a senior QB. We had that chance twice in 2006 with Beck (still Bronco's best overall team to date) and 2009 with Hall. I won't even mention Nelson. But we couldn't do it. It's why I talk so much about breaking through that 10 or 11 win ceiling.

Don't get me wrong. Nobody hates Whittingham more than me. If he died tomorrow (knock on wood) I'd be pissing on his grave by next week. But he does grab opportunity with both hands and keeps his team focused. At least he did in 2008 and is doing it so far this year. I don't think they will win in the playoffs (though I didn't think they'd beat Alabama either) but just getting there would be significant.

Meanwhile we always find a way to wet the bed no matter how good things are going. Its like Whittingham has this ability to mentally prepare his teams that Bronco doesnt. Keeping them focused, rising above and not buckling under the pressure, not reading their own headlines, and so on.

And before somebody says it, this goes beyond "Ute envy." It's about whether or not Bronco has the ability to ever coach a team to an undefeated season.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

If the Utes win, good for them, they will have earned it. They're not cheating or anything. They're just putting Better teams on the filed than we are right now and doing a lot of really good things on the filed right now. I still can't stand them and what they represent, but they're winning and doing so impressively for the most part. Our fortunes are not tied to their successes or failures, but hearing ute nation you'd think they were. After their blowout of Oregon on the road, the only thing I heard from the ute fans I came across was how happy they were BYU lost to Michigan. I didn't hear a single one of the 10 or so people I talked to show any excitement for their own team. That's pretty lame, but typical Utism. Bottom line, I would much rather struggle for relevance with the way our program is run now than gain prominence being a Ute.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BYULV wrote:If the Utes win, good for them, they will have earned it. They're not cheating or anything. They're just putting Better teams on the filed than we are right now and doing a lot of really good things on the filed right now. I still can't stand them and what they represent, but they're winning and doing so impressively for the most part. Our fortunes are not tied to their successes or failures, but hearing ute nation you'd think they were. After their blowout of Oregon on the road, the only thing I heard from the ute fans I came across was how happy they were BYU lost to Michigan. I didn't hear a single one of the 10 or so people I talked to show any excitement for their own team. That's pretty lame, but typical Utism. Bottom line, I would much rather struggle for relevance with the way our program is run now than gain prominence being a Ute.
You make a good point (and it's one I've made myself many times) about how many Ute fans get more pleasure out of a BYU loss than a Ute win. Of course none of them will admit it but how they act makes it obvious. That's what comes from being a BYU hater more than a Ute fan I suppose.

Montana Coug
Gray Shirt

Post by Montana Coug »

I've been a member of this site for a couple years and I check in almost daily, but I almost never comment. I love BYU and I'm a proud alum...just had to get that off my chest before I comment and sound like someone who just dropped by.
This year I'm amazed at how nicely things are lining up for the U....I mean to get Michigan so early in the year when Harbaugh's system was just getting learned was so lucky. It makes them look like giant-slayers even though the Michigan they played is way different than the current incarnation. BYU sank far in the rankings after that, but we see from Michigan's win yesterday that they are now one of the premier teams in college football and they only will be ranked so low because of their slow (learning) start.
The U just beat an Oregon team that after yesterday's loss now looks so much worse than when the U beat them.
I do think that one of the strengths of the U is their coaching. As a person I really dislike Whitt and as a person/priesthood holder/mentor I love Bronco. But my enthusiasm for Bronco as a coach wore off about two years ago. I hate the "never get too high/never get too low" mindset for game preparations. I also groaned when we re-hired Anae. Yes, yesterday's game seemed well coached, but by and large I find his play calling to be average at best. It seems to be so basic, simplistic and lacking in terms of ability to intricately adapt. I dearly miss the amazing coaches of the Lavelle era and any more I think getting out-coached is BYU's biggest problem. We see this year after year. The U almost never loses to someone they shouldn't, BYU seems to do this about once a year. The U seemed way more engaged in winning their games with BYU and brought a burning passion to not lose those games (I hate Bronco's "just another game mindset").

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

How many sockpuppets do you have KingCoug? You can't rail on BYU and the coaches after an exciting win under averse circumstances, so let's now start a "the sky is falling now because Utah is winning" thread? Dude, just pick your ball up and go home already. LMAO

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I abhor the :utard: , but I don't care enough about them to make a thread about them.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Utes will get theirs. Travis Wilson is a substandard Sr. QB. He looked horrible in the second half when I watched--yes I watched Bc I don't believe in the ranking or the hype and wanted to assess. But they would beat BYU this year.
the key to their success is the Oline and Dline. Booker is very good and a total workhorse, but Wilson will cost them an undefeated season. Their D is pretty good.
Anyway, odd year in college football. No one real break away team or two. TCU survived a real scare by a decent but not great KSU. Michigan may get my vote as one of the best if not the best teams. Harbaugh is deserving of his hype, even though most of us hate it. THREE shut outs--in a row vs decent teams is almost more statistically unlikely than two Hail Mary come from behind vistories In a row.
But Pukey Pukes have a good shot and area asking some real noise in a PAC 12 conference that was way overhyped.