Bowl Matchups

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bowl Matchups

Post by BYULV »

We are bowl eligible and likely headed back to the Las Vegas Bowl. I'm not sure how the Hawaii bowl and LV Bowl hash that out, but I'll bet the LV Bowl is fighting to get BYU back, especially with their alternative MWC teams losing a lot of their luster. The Pac12 sixth place team would be our opponent. It's too early to determine who that will be, but their is still a small chance Utah drops enough to get the invite. It's is unlikely they will lose to OSU, Wasington or Colorado which gives them 6 wins in the Pac. They could still lose to UCLA and Arizona on the road, though less likely. This would put them at 6-3 in the pac. There are potentially 7-8 teams that could go on a streak and get ahead of Utah in the standings. Only problem is they play each other and will knock each other out of contention. It will still be likely to only drop Utah to 4-5th place. Also would need Stanford to drop another one or lose the pac12 championship game to keep them out of NC playoff contention and take up the Rose Bowl spot.

Overall a pretty slim possibility, but still possible to have a matchup with Utah in the LV Bowl - would love the matchup and think we would have a decent shot to win.

Any other thoughts or thoughts on otherpossible match ups?

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Bowl Matchups

Post by scott715 »

If I am not mistaken, after the rose bowl, the bowls get to pick who they want. Utah could drop to 6th even though they did not finish there. ESPN owns both bowls so they will choose where we go based on matchups. It very possibly could happen.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

scott715 wrote:If I am not mistaken, after the rose bowl, the bowls get to pick who they want. Utah could drop to 6th even though they did not finish there. ESPN owns both bowls so they will choose where we go based on matchups. It very possibly could happen.
If ESPN can choose the matchups, there isn't really a Better possible matchup for the Las Vegas bowl in terms of excitement and potential viewership. There aren't two other teams from the PAC and MWC with the glitz of this matchup. At could all change if someone else gets hot from the PAc though.

If this matchup happened and we beat them, it would sure be a nice way to quiet down the Utah Bandwagon. Church was extra pleasant today, no gloating Utes.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

BYULV wrote:Church was extra pleasant today, no gloating Utes.
What??? Weren't the ALUFs weren't aloof today? How the Mitey have fallen.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

If the LV bowl can get BYU-Utah it's a no-brainer. I see some potential problems though.

The AAC could have three teams at anywhere from 13-0 to 11-1. Is a Hawaii bowl matchup between BYU (at 10-2 or 9-3) and one of Temple/Houston/Memphis (at 12-1 or 11-1) better than BYU Oregon/Cal/ASU (at 7-5 or 6-6)?

Also the best team from the MW will likely be 11-2 or 10-3. Will the LV bowl have as good a choice of MW teams in 2017. There's a good chance the MW champ will be in a NY6 and the second MW choice will be 8-5 or 9-4 going into the bowl game. Of course BYU is likely to be 7-5 or 8-4 in 2017.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm planning on going to the BYU bowl game if it's the Las Vegas Bowl. However, I won't go if it's a BYU-Utah matchup. I just hate being around Utes and would hate to have my experience ruined by a bunch of douchebags.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

One thing to keep an eye on is whether or not New Mexico (4-4) or Hawaii (2-6) become bowl eligible. New Mexico, Hawaii, and BYU are all participating in the men's basketball Diamond Head Tournament in Hawaii on December 22, 23, and 25. The Hawaii bowl is December 24.

Any of those 3 teams could be candidates to hopefully get fans who travel for one event to show up for both events since they are already there as both events are ESPN properties.

Hawaii is a long shot to be bowl eligible with 5 chances to win 4 more games: vs. Air Force, @ UNLV, vs. Fresno State, vs. San Jose State, vs. ULM

New Mexico has 4 chances to win 2: vs. Utah State, @ Boise State, vs. Colorado State, vs. Air Force

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

I forgot there is a chance BYU could get Navy at 10-2 or 11-2. I think BYU would jump all over that.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

For us Utah residents, the prospect of a Utah game for the bowl game and playing them the second game of next season is a double-edged sword. We win, we get to talk about it all off season until the rematch. We lose, we have to hear about it all off season until the rematch...

I think I like our chances enough to take those odds. Assuming no further injuries to the D-line, USC gave us the perfect blueprint to beat them: stuff Booker, contain and pressure Wilson, and feast on interceptions. On offense, take care of the ball and take what they give you, and you'll likely score enough points to win.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

The Pac-12 still has a defined selection order:

1. Playoff
2. Rose
3. Alamo
4. Holiday
5. Foster Farms (Fight Hunger in San Fran)
6. Sun
7. Vegas
8. Cactus

If ND beats Stanford pretty good chance the bowls end up like this:

Playoff- Nobody
Rose- Stanford
Alamo- Utes
Holiday- Winner of USC/UCLA game
Foster Farms- Loser of the USC/UCLA game
Sun- Oregon
Vegas- Cal
Cactus- Arizona St.

If Stanford makes the playoff, move everybody up one. The Cactus bowl would get Washington St.