Dose of reality

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dose of reality

Post by redneckjedi »

Yes, I interpreted the data correctly, and my statement was correct. Never less than 2 losses. The standard of some on this board is that if you can't crack that plateau and go undefeated or 1 loss at some point in your career, then you are "wetting the bed" in those 2+ losses you always have.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

snoscythe wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Okay, let's play a game. Based on the statistics below, can you name the coach and the program? Here is a coach in his 17th season leading a P5 program. Do you notice any "trends" over the course of those 17 years? Would you have pulled the trigger on this coach based on the 'trend" of the past five seasons? Do you think that at any point in time during this coach's tenure there were certain fans of this fan base unhappy and clamoring for this coach to be fired along with his staff? Do you think that those fans who appreciated the hard work and commitment of this coach and his staff, despite some ups and downs, were accused of being "blind", having "low expectations", and just "seeing the Emperor's New Clothes"? Do you think this coach is currently on the hot seat and in danger of being fired after this season?
Year G W L T Pct
11 1 10 0 .091
12 3 9 0 .250
12 7 5 0 .583
13 11 2 0 .846
13 10 3 0 .769
12 10 2 0 .833
12 7 5 0 .583
13 6 7 0 .462
12 6 6 0 .500
13 9 4 0 .692
13 11 2 0 .846
13 8 5 0 .615
13 7 6 0 .538
12 4 8 0 .333
13 8 5 0 .615
13 7 6 0 .538
10 10 0 0 1.000
210 125 85 0 .595
Kirk Ferentz. Iowa. Not sure this guy really proves the point you are trying to make though...

Ferentz is a coach who has turned his career around this season by, after an embarrassing loss in the TaxSlayer Bowl last year, thrown out all the new-age feel-goodery and taken a "back-to-basics" approach in his coaching. In January, nearly all the local media and fans were calling for Ferentz to be fired based on his marked lack of improvement.

If Kirk Ferentz is your model, the question becomes--is Bronco capable of the same self-reinvention to do some plateau-busting of his own like Kirk Ferentz did this off-season when it became apparent that his approach over the previous five years was not working?

A lot of Iowa's success this year is attributable to the dissatisfied fans who made their voices heard loudly enough to make the coach take steps to improve rather than continuing down his path.
Sno,
Do you really think that Ferentz didn't recognize for himself that the previous five years were mediocre to sub-mediocre to bad at best? Do you really believe it was only because of the clamor of an unhappy fan base that he miraculously had some sort of an epiphany? I have no doubt that he was on the hot seat and yet someway, somehow has turned it around this year. I am sure it is a combination of better all-around coaching by the entire staff, better talent and execution by the players, and a more favorable schedule. This is an answer that can never be answered, but with all things being the same at Iowa, with the exception that an entirely new coaching staff is in place, would the Hawkeyes currently be undefeated? Again, we will never know, but history says that the odds would be against that being the case. My only point in throwing Ferentz out there as an example is that here is a coach, who at least for the moment, has turned a mediocre to sub-par "trend" into an outstanding season. If the Iowa administration reacted only to an incensed fan base and sent Ferentz and his staff packing, I seriously doubt Iowa would be sitting 10-0 and ranked #5. Rarely do any of us as fans have any idea of the "big picture" that Presidents and A.D.'s must maintain when it comes to the hiring and firing of coaches. Fans for the most part have tunnel vision with a highly emotional attachment to W's and L's. I'm not saying that there doesn't come a time when change isn't inevitable, or even necessary, I just don't think BYU is there at this point in time.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Boosters are fans with money. Of course Ferentz knew he was on the hot seat. No more happy boosters, no more job. If Ferentz wanted to keep his job he needed to turn his career around. Was that all due to fan/booster pressure, probably not, but if the fans/boosters were making excuses for him despite his lack of success then I highly doubt we would be seeing such a remarkable turn around.

With BYU, unhappy fans/boosters have little to no effect. The board of trustees (aka the Church) cares more about football as a missionary tool and less about wins & losses. Only when poor seasons start significantly affecting exposure will the board of trustees look to make a change. Until then, fans can scream for change till they are blue in the face.

Fan/booster dissatisfaction affects schools much more significantly elsewhere than at BYU.

Broncos knows this, whether he admits it or not. He just has to be "good enough."

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

Stirfry wrote:
TheDean wrote: Why because BYU under Bronco will lay an egg in at least 2 games every season.
I'm so tired of hearing this. Name 10 coaches that don't do this. If you want I'll accept 5 names. Forget about if they'd fit at BYU. Just name 5 coaches that don't "lay an egg" two times a year. If you can find 10 that do it consistently (have a 1 loss season or better every 3-4 years) you can have bonus points. Or at least some credibility.

Oh other coaches do lay an occasional egg but that is the whole point it is occsional Bronco's only real consistancy is that he lays at least 2 eggs every year he has coached. Not once in a blue moon like other coached. Even KWhit lays the occasional egg but not very often and yet some how gets his team to play at a higher level than Bronco does even tough this year the Utes don't have the talent level that BYU does.
Last edited by TheDean on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

I'm not about to start crediting angry fans for coaching success.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

TheDean wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
TheDean wrote: Why because BYU under Bronco will lay an egg in at least 2 games every season.
I'm so tired of hearing this. Name 10 coaches that don't do this. If you want I'll accept 5 names. Forget about if they'd fit at BYU. Just name 5 coaches that don't "lay an egg" two times a year. If you can find 10 that do it consistently (have a 1 loss season or better every 3-4 years) you can have bonus points. Or at least some credibility.

Oh other coaches do lay an occasional egg but that is the whole point it is occsional Bronco's only real consistancy is that he lays at least 2 eggs every year he has coached. Not once in a blue moon like other coached. Even KWhit lays the occasional egg but not very often and yet some how gets his team to play at a higher level than Bronco does even tough this year the Utes don't have the talent level that BYU does.
You should check your facts a little better.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

TheDean wrote:Oh other coaches do lay an occasional egg but that is the whole point it is occsional Bronco's only real consistancy is that he lays at least 2 eggs every year he has coached. Not once in a blue moon like other coached. Even KWhit lays the occasional egg but not very often and yet some how gets his team to play at a higher level than Bronco does even tough this year the Utes don't have the talent level that BYU does.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Five weeks ago, Utah was ranked #3 in the AP. Since then, they have gone 2-3 and are no longer ranked in the AP.

That's some great, consistent, non-egg laying, coaching to get your team to play at a higher level.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

snoscythe wrote:As of today, the Sagarin ratings show BYU playing the 54th most difficult schedule.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have yet to play #66 Sagarin-ranked USU (who is 5-5) or #123 Fresno State (who is 3-7)
After Fresno State, BYU's Sagarin SOS dropped to #67--out of 128 FBS teams, right about even with #65 Baylor, who has been lambasted for its easy schedule.