Best Player vs. Player Who Has "Earned" It

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Best Player vs. Player Who Has "Earned" It

Post by Ungoy »

hawkwing wrote:
blue42 wrote:An interesting thought and maybe this deserves it's own thread, but which era was darker in BYU history, the Jake Heaps years or the Gary Crowton years?
GC no doubt.
This is true. The Jake Heaps drama only lasted two seasons of having him here. Crowton was much more painful. Thank goodness I missed half of it while on my mission. I feel blessed for that.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

Ungoy wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
blue42 wrote:An interesting thought and maybe this deserves it's own thread, but which era was darker in BYU history, the Jake Heaps years or the Gary Crowton years?
GC no doubt.
This is true. The Jake Heaps drama only lasted two seasons of having him here. Crowton was much more painful. Thank goodness I missed half of it while on my mission. I feel blessed for that.
At least Jake won a bowl game. We had no bowl games for a couple years with GC

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Yes he did win a bowl. However, if he had played all of 2011, I don't think BYU would have been to a bowl that year. They were on their way to a very dark, dark place before Heaps got pulled.

I think if Heaps had stayed all 4 years, and somehow managed to start, he would have rivaled the dark Crowton years.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote:
Gunk wrote:And...Jake Heaps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
No, no, no, no, no. Brandon Doman was the one who demanded to play Jake Heaps, which was why he was promoted as Ocoordinator when Anae left and was then fired after running Heaps off. You should all know this. :whistle:
And Bronco (who knows absolutely nothing about offensive football by his own words)wanted Riley Nelson who was far worse QB than Heaps and constantly interfered with Doman and his offensive game planning. I also think had Heaps stayed the starter in 2011 BYU beats TCU and wins the bowl game. Also Doman did as much as Anae with lesser talent than Anae did with the better talent he had the first time around.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

TheDean wrote:And Bronco (who knows absolutely nothing about offensive football by his own words)wanted Riley Nelson who was far worse QB than Heaps and constantly interfered with Doman and his offensive game planning. I also think had Heaps stayed the starter in 2011 BYU beats TCU and wins the bowl game. Also Doman did as much as Anae with lesser talent than Anae did with the better talent he had the first time around.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

SpiffCoug wrote:
TheDean wrote:And Bronco (who knows absolutely nothing about offensive football by his own words)wanted Riley Nelson who was far worse QB than Heaps and constantly interfered with Doman and his offensive game planning. I also think had Heaps stayed the starter in 2011 BYU beats TCU and wins the bowl game. Also Doman did as much as Anae with lesser talent than Anae did with the better talent he had the first time around.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn't come up with words to respond. I think you nailed it Spiff.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

TheDean wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

No, no, no, no, no. Brandon Doman was the one who demanded to play Jake Heaps, which was why he was promoted as Ocoordinator when Anae left and was then fired after running Heaps off. You should all know this. :whistle:
And Bronco (who knows absolutely nothing about offensive football by his own words)wanted Riley Nelson who was far worse QB than Heaps and constantly interfered with Doman and his offensive game planning. I also think had Heaps stayed the starter in 2011 BYU beats TCU and wins the bowl game. Also Doman did as much as Anae with lesser talent than Anae did with the better talent he had the first time around.
The gates are falling, the lights are flashing, but the train ain't coming.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU scored 7 TDs today. Three of them were scored by freshman.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

TheDean wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

There's not a single metric that shows what you are asserting here.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I would point out that BYU has played the 3rd most freshmen of any school...but whatever.

Yeah, but how many of those are seeing time due to injury or other events taking out those in front of them? That was Kuresa's point--Riley Burt (of whom Kuresa was speaking) has played this year as a freshman, so he contributes to your stat of # of freshmen played, but only when 4 other running backs with more seniority are injured, suspended, or otherwise less functional, and even then he only gets 1-2 snaps a game. Yeah, Bronco likes to burn redshirts by giving guys a couple snaps in garbage time (see: Koy Detmer) which inflates that number, but when the rubber meets the road, Bronco goes to the earned it guy. What's funny is that some of the people who have raised this concern in the past are now the same posters coming to Bronco's defense for some bizzarro reason.

What happens if Taysom Hill stays healthy or Ammon Olsen/Alex Kuresa stick around? That eliminates three freshmen (Mangum, Hoge, Detmer) who played this season, not because they beat out the upper-classmen, but because they are all that is left in the cupboard.

The storyline bears out up and down the depth chart. The freshmen who get to play generally only do so when all other options are eliminated or Bronco needs to burn redshirts to keep his roster-flow on schedule.