U Devontae Booker RB is out for the season

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: U Devontae Booker RB is out for the season

Post by redneckjedi »

snoscythe wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:Here is an interesting question I use when determining whether someone is a fan of their own team, or a hater of the rival team.
I acknowledge there are other viewpoints. The question is only useful when I have eliminated the rest. If I, therefore, have determined there is a dichotomy, it can't really be a false dichotomy, can it?

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

redneckjedi wrote:Here is an interesting question I use when determining whether someone is a fan of their own team, or a hater of the rival team. Would you rather A) your team win AND your rival also win, or B) your team lose and your rival also lose? Option B, without exception, puts you in the hater camp. I think finding pleasure in injuries to rival players---or any player, for that matter---should as well.

Haters are generally not happy people, and they have no control over their own happiness because so much of it is based on factors beyond their control. Generally, I find there are a lot more Utes in that camp than Cougars. Let's keep it that way.
I acknowledge that shadenfreude exists in many fans. I have only minor reservations in another person finding happieness in the occourance of a non-threatening injury to a sports participant. (althouugh I constantly hope that I wouldn't do that). This guy's gonna be just fine for the rest of his life, if someone likes that he's gonna cause his team to lose some games while he's out, I'm not gonna call that person a hater or something negative; I'll just conseider tham less-than-perfect; a group of people that that I belong to far more often than not.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I am vastly more concerned with injuries and other news on BYU and our players than I am about Booker and the Utes.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

redneckjedi wrote:Here is an interesting question I use when determining whether someone is a fan of their own team, or a hater of the rival team. Would you rather A) your team win AND your rival also win, or B) your team lose and your rival also lose? Option B, without exception, puts you in the hater camp. I think finding pleasure in injuries to rival players---or any player, for that matter---should as well.

Haters are generally not happy people, and they have no control over their own happiness because so much of it is based on factors beyond their control. Generally, I find there are a lot more Utes in that camp than Cougars. Let's keep it that way.
I don't like being so philosophical. I enjoy hating the Utes and I think I am a happy person. When a Ute co-worker offered to autograph the "Y" football on my desk in red ink, I'm not going to sit there and politely smile. May not be a Christian way of thinking or feeling, but it is what it is...

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

SenorCougar wrote:

I don't like being so philosophical. I enjoy hating the Utes and I think I am a happy person. When a Ute co-worker offered to autograph the "Y" football on my desk in red ink, I'm not going to sit there and politely smile. May not be a Christian way of thinking or feeling, but it is what it is...
What I'm saying is that if you want the Utes to lose MORE than you want BYU to win (such that you would take option B over option A), you may have crossed over from being a fan to being a hater. I seriously doubt that is the case for anybody on this board---everyone seems to be a Cougar fan first, even if they manifest it in a diversity of ways.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

Any true BYU fan wants to see Utah lose every game. But I don't think there are many who take as much pleasure in a Ute loss as they do a BYU win.

Now Ute fans? I've long been convinced many of them get more pleasure seeing BYU lose than their own team win.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by 1967cougar »

redneckjedi wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:

What I'm saying is that if you want the Utes to lose MORE than you want BYU to win (such that you would take option B over option A), you may have crossed over from being a fan to being a hater. I seriously doubt that is the case for anybody on this board---everyone seems to be a Cougar fan first, even if they manifest it in a diversity of ways.
Nah. Scenario: BYU is one of two undefeated teams in the country. They have completed the regular season. The other undefeated team has one more game left to play and it is against Utah. If they win, they will most likely be elevated over us for whatever reason (this is hypothetical anyhow). So for us to be #1, Utah would have to win.

My sincere and honest feeling: Second place ain't all that bad!

Am I a hater? No. I just never want the Utes to win under ANY circumstances. Max Hall was right!

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

1967cougar wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:

Nah. Scenario: BYU is one of two undefeated teams in the country. They have completed the regular season. The other undefeated team has one more game left to play and it is against Utah. If they win, they will most likely be elevated over us for whatever reason (this is hypothetical anyhow). So for us to be #1, Utah would have to win.

Am I a hater? No. I just never want the Utes to win under ANY circumstances. Max Hall was right!
Again, that's not the scenario I'm talking about. I'm talking about a hypothetical Saturday where you can have both BYU and Utah win, or both BYU and Utah lose. No other options. What do you choose? Yes, it's a bit contrived, but when you've got someone who loves their own team and hates their rival, it will tell you which emotion is stronger. And if you think it's too contrived, you should hear the scenarios I concocted to help a roommate decide if his girlfriend was too high maintenance once upon a time. :) (She was. No question about it.)

A story may illustrate. I took my family to the barber after the Nebraska game. Utah had already beaten Michigan earlier in the week. After we had finished our haircuts, I overheard another customer talking about the BYU game. He said that it had ruined his whole weekend. My wife assumed he hadn't stuck around for the final play, and went over and said, "Didn't you see the end? They won on a Hail Mary!" He says, "I know, I'm a Utah fan. It ruined my whole weekend." This, despite the fact that his team also won!

I also would be happy to have Utah go 0-12 every single year. But the fact that they win a few hear and there, or even a lot, isn't really going to affect me very much, because I'm a BYU fan first.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

redneckjedi wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:

Again, that's not the scenario I'm talking about. I'm talking about a hypothetical Saturday where you can have both BYU and Utah win, or both BYU and Utah lose. No other options. What do you choose? Yes, it's a bit contrived, but when you've got someone who loves their own team and hates their rival, it will tell you which emotion is stronger. And if you think it's too contrived, you should hear the scenarios I concocted to help a roommate decide if his girlfriend was too high maintenance once upon a time. :) (She was. No question about it.)

A story may illustrate. I took my family to the barber after the Nebraska game. Utah had already beaten Michigan earlier in the week. After we had finished our haircuts, I overheard another customer talking about the BYU game. He said that it had ruined his whole weekend. My wife assumed he hadn't stuck around for the final play, and went over and said, "Didn't you see the end? They won on a Hail Mary!" He says, "I know, I'm a Utah fan. It ruined my whole weekend." This, despite the fact that his team also won!

I also would be happy to have Utah go 0-12 every single year. But the fact that they win a few hear and there, or even a lot, isn't really going to affect me very much, because I'm a BYU fan first.
Great example and story redneck. love BYU first--hate on :utard: 2nd.
A :utard: victory never ruins my weekend, especially if the cougars win.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

redneckjedi wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:

Your hypothetical scenerio has a big flaw as you forgot to mention the choice of having BYU winning and Utah losing wich is always possible. It is like asking whether the glass is half full or half empty when most people don't care one way or the other they are just glad to have a half a glass of whatever it is in the glass.

I used to like seeing Utah win until Urban Meyer turned a friendly and enjoyable rivalry into a bitter feud that has turned even uglier by Utah's invite to the Pac12 as they have become an arrogant bitter fan base because of BYU successess in independence in all sports not just football. BYU Womens Soccer, Vollyball, and Softball teams have been hugely successful with the Soccer teams being ranked in the top 10 in Soccer and Vollyball. The Softball team has won 4 consecutive conferense titles in 4 different conferences. BYU women's basketball team has won back to back conference titles. The Swim and track and field teams have been highly ranked for a long time now and have brought home individual multiple national titles. Mens Basketball has made the NCAA tourney every year for the last 7 years and the football team has adveraged 9 wins a season. The mens Vollyball team has been ranked in the top 5 the last 5 years and been to 2 championship games and the womens vollyball team has been there last year. Indepentence has helped BYU athletics over all more than the Pac 12 has helped Utah which has made Utah bitter as they realise why they were given the invite.

Now I root for BYU to win and love to see Utah lose but I would rather see BYU win regardless of what Utah does but if Utah happens lose so much the better.