USU game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: USU game thread

Post by urroner »

I really dislike it when we are really thumping a team and it ends like this...unless it against them :utard: then I love piling it on.

GET IT TO BLACKMON!!!!!

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

I cannot believe how much that fumble recovered for a TD before half time changed this game. Byu was looking like they were about to hand usu the game. Usu could never recover after that. It wasn't perfect but it's a win. Anea made the right calls when needed and the offense did just enough today. The D in the 2nd half was really solid. I can't believe the season is over already. Bring on the bowl game and hopefully a 10 win season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Much better second half. Still some dropped very catchable balls. But a few key plays and BYU had momentum. 9-3 is pretty dang good all things considered. Could have easily swapped some wins and some losses. Could have been 7-5. Could have been 11-1. Anyway, let's hope BYU can really focus and pick up a bowl win and get 10 wins!
Then off to next year's murderous schedule. :-)

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

BYU was lucky in this game. Lucky that Utah St. dropped 3rd down passes on the the 22 FG possesions where BYU blocked the FG and the FG bounced off the up right as had both been caught Utah St. would have had 2 more TDs to there 21-10 lead. Lucky that Utah St. made it only real defensive mistake in a well played first half to allow 2 BYU WRs to be open and Mathews not get tackled in Utah St. 2 attempt to stop him before he runs it in fr a TD. Lucky that Keeton drops the football and BYU player there to pick it up for a TD. Utah St. was within a hair of b,owing BYU off the field in the first half.

BYU's offense did fare much better in the 2nd half after looking sharp on the first drive of the 2nd half. The defense played much much better in the second half which is the sole reason BYU won.

All in all not one of BYUs better perfomances.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

We had some big time plays from our receivers to come up with balls out of bounds, in double coverage, and over their heads. I've been down on then lately, so I really have to hand it to them. Well done, WRs!

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

TheDean wrote:BYU was lucky in this game. Lucky that Utah St. dropped 3rd down passes on the the 22 FG possesions where BYU blocked the FG and the FG bounced off the up right as had both been caught Utah St. would have had 2 more TDs to there 21-10 lead. Lucky that Utah St. made it only real defensive mistake in a well played first half to allow 2 BYU WRs to be open and Mathews not get tackled in Utah St. 2 attempt to stop him before he runs it in fr a TD. Lucky that Keeton drops the football and BYU player there to pick it up for a TD. Utah St. was within a hair of b,owing BYU off the field in the first half.

BYU's offense did fare much better in the 2nd half after looking sharp on the first drive of the 2nd half. The defense played much much better in the second half which is the sole reason BYU won.

Like I said earlier:
So, if BYU wins today, it's only done by dumb luck, but if we lose it, it's Bronco's and Anae's fault.

It's sheer, dumb luck we are 8 and 3. It's also sheer, dumb luck we are leading the nation in scoring in the blue zone. It's sheer, dumb luck we are...nah, it doesn't matter if it's a positive characteristic of the team, it's sheer, dumb luck.
I should add that we are just lucky to have won any games this year and I add that when I'm wearing my blue goggles.

I bet if BYU fired Bronco and Anae, and made the woman's volleyball coach, Heather Olmstead, head coach and the woman's soccer head coach, Jennifer Rockwood, the D coach, we would have won every game, going away, this year.

What in the HE double hockey sticcks was Tom Holmoe thinking. I guess he wasn't.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

TheDean wrote:BYU was lucky in this game. Lucky that Utah St. dropped 3rd down passes on the the 22 FG possesions where BYU blocked the FG and the FG bounced off the up right as had both been caught Utah St. would have had 2 more TDs to there 21-10 lead. Lucky that Utah St. made it only real defensive mistake in a well played first half to allow 2 BYU WRs to be open and Mathews not get tackled in Utah St. 2 attempt to stop him before he runs it in fr a TD. Lucky that Keeton drops the football and BYU player there to pick it up for a TD. Utah St. was within a hair of b,owing BYU off the field in the first half.

I've agreed with you on a lot of things this year but come on. Dropped balls, missed field goals these are the reasons that teams lose. It doesn't make Byu lucky. USU was not assignment sound today. If they had been then yes the could have been ahead by more and possibly won. But they didn't and byu did what they had to do to win. I don't think you have given Byu credit when they deserved credit. News flash, EVERY team gets yards and scores. To expect BYU to hold everyone to under 100 yards and scorless while scoring 60 points and gaining 700 yards of offense is Rediculouse. Yes it might be easy on your PlayStation but in the real world it's not.

You are right this was not one of byu's better performances and yet they won 51-28. If that can't make a fan happy then what in the he!! does?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So what you are saying is that BYU was "lucky" that their players made plays and we won. That makes total sense. :roll:

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

I appreciate that you pointed out some positive things. I agree that BYU didn't play their sharpest game (I was more worried about our defense in the first half than our offense). At the same time, BYU had some pretty spectacular plays, and they took advantage of big play opportunities. Given our recent history against Utah State, and given the fact that Utah State hadn't lost at home in a couple years; I'm happy.

Last edited by Jarhead on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

a1247 wrote:You are right this was not one of byu's better performances and yet they won 51-28. If that can't make a fan happy then what in the he!! does?
You know what would make me happy.? Firstly, get rid of Bronco and Anae. They are totally clueless, CLUELESS I SAY, about football. Once those two bozos are gone, then we can finally get a team thaat would do the other things which would finally make me happy. Well a lmost happy.
1. Get rid of the dead weight at the top. (Already mentioned.)
2. Alwys hold other ream under 100 yardsi in yotal offense, evebn if it's Alabama.
3. The other team never scored, even a field goal. The defense should block every attempt. In fact, the defense should score on every series of play they are in.
4. The offense should score at least 60 polnts every game and the defense should score 60 points every game.
5. Every game ends with BYU scoring a minimum of 120 and the opponent score a maximum of 0.
6. BYU has at least 700 yards in in offense, well, in rushing offense. Another 700 tards in passing. I realize this will be rather difficult if the defense scores all the time, but that is not my problem.

Onl y if my demands are met, then i can even begin to think about being happy.