BYU Cougars are 9-3! 6-0 At Home!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Cougars are 9-3! 6-0 At Home!

Post by hawkwing »

What a great season for the Cougars. They battled through and overcame some serious adversity. They took a young man who was a few short weeks away from living and eating as a poor missionary in Chile, while losing their stud running back, and having to fight through injuries and suspensions on the defense and had a damn fine season.

I'm incredibly happy for what these young men did, and did with class every step of the way.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU Cougars are 9-3! 6-0 At Home!

Post by vancouvercougar »

hawkwing wrote:What a great season for the Cougars. They battled through and overcame some serious adversity. They took a young man who was a few short weeks away from living and eating as a poor missionary in Chile, while losing their stud running back, and having to fight through injuries and suspensions on the defense and had a damn fine season.

I'm incredibly happy for what these young men did, and did with class every step of the way.
All of this is true Hawk. We lost Tuiloma for several games. He would have made a difference in the UCLA game. We lost DB's for a time, and in the USU game we were down a couple of linebackers. O linemen were out earlier in the season.
These coaches earned their salaries this year. We played a tough schedule very respectably.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

True. True. True. Not many Div. 1 teams can lay claim to a 9-3 record. This is a great group of athletes. Talented, resilient, and big hearts. All in all, a season to be proud of. Certainly, improvements can be made - but football is not a game of "perfect."

I am excited to see where we are bowling and who we will play. Go Cougs!

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU Cougars are 9-3! 6-0 At Home!ly

Post by BOID »

I whole heartedly agree. I was especially happy for Mitch Mathews' success in this last, regular season game. He had been really cheated out of big, game winning receptions against Missouri, especially on the no-call face mask toward the end, that was very blatant, yet ignored by the officials. USU is a dangerous team, but the best team prevailed. Gotta love these Cougars. Gotta love what the coaches did to plan a way around personel losses and keep open the chances for a double digit win season. Color me happy. 8)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yep a pretty dang good season!! Maybe even great all things considered. Very entertaining. A lot of flirting with disaster that came out predominantly in BYUs favor ( Neb, BSU, SJSU). And yet still some under achieving. Is what it is. The players know they gave one away at Mizzou. Considering if the three wins were losses BYU would be 6-6 and a lot of dismality in Cougarland.
So, Ya, I can concede and say Great season guys! Now, finish strong. Then it's onto the mostest killerest season in the history of BYU.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Coming into this season, BYU had won ONE game when trailing by 10 or more points at any point in a game.

This season, BYU won THREE games in which they overcome 10+ point deficits.

They also outscored their opponents 210-119 in the 2nd half, including 127-68 in the 4th quarter.

This team, with its new team sports psychologist and strength & conditioning coordinator, is very mentally strong and physically ready to play all 60 minutes of each game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

One thing I'll say that impressed me was the team's 2nd half play. In recent years it seemed like we were always a 1st half team, coming out strong but not maintaining the level of play throughout the game.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Consider that none of the Y's teams lost a home game including the basketball teams so far. The ROC has been out in force and are probably fans for life now.