Preferred Walk-ons coming out of the woodwork

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Preferred Walk-ons coming out of the woodwork

Post by YNot »

blue42 wrote:I think you always need QB's and need to recruit some every year. This is why Lavell was so successful, he had the next QB waiting in the wings to take over after the current QB left. The problem during Bronco's tenure was all of his QB's, both starters and backups graduated the same year and there wasn't a replacement that had been in the program for 1 or 2 years to take over seamlessly. BYU has that problem right now with all 3 QB's being Sophomores, they need at least one or two freshmen on next years team. I don't know if they currently have any QB's on missions right now that will return next year or the year after, I hope so to restart that consistency for the position.
I believe 3-star 2015 QB commit Kody Wilstead (6'7" Matt Berry type) is currently serving in Argentina. He is scheduled to return April 2017 - should be back for 2017 season.

I believe 3-star 2016 QB commit Jaren Hall is a mission first guy, so he could be back for the 2018 season - but definitely for the 2019 season.

I'm hopeful that Coach Detmer can flip his nephew Zadock Dinkelmann to BYU. Dinkelmann committed to LSU in 2014 as an 8th grader! Scout lists him as a 4-star QB recruit for the 2018 class.

Also, Hoge or Detmer could see a redshirt year at some point.

So you could have:

2016: Hill (R-Sr), Mangum(So), Hoge (So), Detmer (So)
2017: Mangum (Jr), Hoge(Jr), Detmer (Jr), Wilstead (Fr)
2018: Mangum (Sr), Hoge (Sr), Detmer (Sr), WIlstead (So), Dinkelmann (Fr)
2019: Wilstead (Jr)/Dinkelmann (So), Detmer (R-Sr), Hall (Fr)
2020: Wilstead (Sr)/Dinkelmann (Jr), Hall (So)

And, we could still be in good shape even if Mangum exits early for the NFL - with two seniors and sophomore Wilstead competing for starting duties.

If Dinkelmann does flip to BYU, he would definitely be in the competition for the starting job in 2019 and 2020. Or, it could be Wilstead and Detmer in 2019 and Wilstead and Hall in 2020. Or, some other unknown commit could be in the mix.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

YNot wrote:
blue42 wrote:I think you always need QB's and need to recruit some every year. This is why Lavell was so successful, he had the next QB waiting in the wings to take over after the current QB left. The problem during Bronco's tenure was all of his QB's, both starters and backups graduated the same year and there wasn't a replacement that had been in the program for 1 or 2 years to take over seamlessly. BYU has that problem right now with all 3 QB's being Sophomores, they need at least one or two freshmen on next years team. I don't know if they currently have any QB's on missions right now that will return next year or the year after, I hope so to restart that consistency for the position.
I believe 3-star 2015 QB commit Kody Wilstead (6'7" Matt Berry type) is currently serving in Argentina. He is scheduled to return April 2017 - should be back for 2017 season.

I believe 3-star 2016 QB commit Jaren Hall is a mission first guy, so he could be back for the 2018 season - but definitely for the 2019 season.

I'm hopeful that Coach Detmer can flip his nephew Zadock Dinkelmann to BYU. Dinkelmann committed to LSU in 2014 as an 8th grader! Scout lists him as a 4-star QB recruit for the 2018 class.

Also, Hoge or Detmer could see a redshirt year at some point.

So you could have:

2016: Hill (R-Sr), Mangum(So), Hoge (So), Detmer (So)
2017: Mangum (Jr), Hoge(Jr), Detmer (Jr), Wilstead (Fr)
2018: Mangum (Sr), Hoge (Sr), Detmer (Sr), WIlstead (So), Dinkelmann (Fr)
2019: Wilstead (Jr)/Dinkelmann (So), Detmer (R-Sr), Hall (Fr)
2020: Wilstead (Sr)/Dinkelmann (Jr), Hall (So)

And, we could still be in good shape even if Mangum exits early for the NFL - with two seniors and sophomore Wilstead competing for starting duties.

If Dinkelmann does flip to BYU, he would definitely be in the competition for the starting job in 2019 and 2020. Or, it could be Wilstead and Detmer in 2019 and Wilstead and Hall in 2020. Or, some other unknown commit could be in the mix.
Thanks for checking into this, I thought we may have had 1 QB out on a mission right now. That would be great if Detmer could flip his nephew just for the name alone! All we would need is recruit a running back or receiver named Dunk and we could use the Dink and Dunk offense at BYU!

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Here is another walk-on: Per LoyalCougars, he is a mission first guy.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

blue42 wrote:
YNot wrote: ....
Thanks for checking into this, I thought we may have had 1 QB out on a mission right now. That would be great if Detmer could flip his nephew just for the name alone! All we would need is recruit a running back or receiver named Dunk and we could use the Dink and Dunk offense at BYU!
OK, couldn't resist.

Syracuse has a 2015 Tight End named Trey Dunkelberger. If Dunkelberger transferred, he could be a junior in 2018 for Dinkelmann's freshman season! Too bad Luatua just transferred from Notre Dame...

As a backup plan, there is 2017 RB recruit out of Florida - Kameron Duncan. More of a stretch, but still could work.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

YNot wrote:
blue42 wrote:
YNot wrote: ....
OK, couldn't resist.

Syracuse has a 2015 Tight End named Trey Dunkelberger. If Dunkelberger transferred, he could be a junior in 2018 for Dinkelmann's freshman season! Too bad Luatua just transferred from Notre Dame...

As a backup plan, there is 2017 RB recruit out of Florida - Kameron Duncan. More of a stretch, but still could work.
First things first - we'd have to steal the Dink from LSU, which is no small feat, even if your uncle is the OC. We can worry about the Dunk afterwards. ;)

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?