Has BYU Fan base gone crazy?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Has BYU Fan base gone crazy?

Post by scott715 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... g-day.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It included live television press conferences, a meeting under the stadium packed with Cougar Club members and a live Internet social media barrage of announcements from 5 to 11 a.m. that reached 17.6 million on Twitter. BYU signing tweets became the No. 1 trending topic on that social media platform in Utah and actually crashed BYU’s athletic department server, ranked as among the top 15 traffic sites in college football for five minutes.

By 2 p.m., about the time Lamb headed for the door at the BYU Broadcast Building after meeting with media, his school's football recruiting exposure trended No. 1 in Utah in Twitter with a reach of 26.4 million, had 500,000 Facebook posts and 610,000 loops on Vine.

This article needs to go to the Big12 AD, Presidents, reporters and fan boards.

KingCoug
All-American

Re: Has BYU Fan base gone crazy?

Post by KingCoug »

Point being, BYU continues to have a huge fan base - both in Utah and nationally - over twice the size of the Ute fan base - and they want to see a great product on the field. Something they havent seen consistently in years now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I'll tell you, not even being someone who traveled down to Provo for any of the events and just watching BYUSN on BYUtv, I was psyched. There is just a whole new wind blowing through Provo. We loved and respected CBM because he really wanted to be successful and help these young men develop, but it often didn't feel like football and then it was one thing to be a "peculiar people", but we had really gotten down right weird in how we approached everything football. He won enough to try to convince us that he had it understood and we were all behind in understanding, but we could never convince ourselves that he was right.

Bagger Vance: "What I'm talkin about is a game... A game that can't be won only played..."

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

We've sure cranked up the hype machine, haven't we? Of course everyone is welcome on the bandwagon, and everyone is welcome to get their hopes up as much as they'd like, but I'll wait until we see the product on the field.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Schmoe wrote:We've sure cranked up the hype machine, haven't we? Of course everyone is welcome on the bandwagon, and everyone is welcome to get their hopes up as much as they'd like, but I'll wait until we see the product on the field.
Where is the fun in this train of thought? You can't be a true blue fan unless you set yourself up now for complete disappointment in the future. Don't you know that this is the BYU way? 8)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

My point is that we act like a P5 program with a large active fan base. Crashing the server, that is just crazy.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

It honestly depends on how robust the server is and how many simultaneous connections it takes to crash it.

But I do agree that BYU has a large fan base, largest in Utah, by far. And is national in reach.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38385904&nid=27 ... id=queue-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heck, we even finally got PK to write an article that wasn't pointing to some gaping flaw in the fabric of BYU.

Below were PK's most demeaning shots of the article, and if you're used to his style of writing articles about BYU, this was pretty tame.
"The love of these coaches for the school has also resonated with a fan base that desperately desires to enjoy a deep connection with the leaders of their football program."
"The former BYU fullback needed less than three minutes to win over an audience that has was somewhat disconnected from previous coach Bronco Mendenhall."
"After tweeting some highlights of Sitake's speech, my Twitter timeline got bombarded with responses. Sticking out among was a comment from a longtime female BYU fan who wrote:

Sitake was "more motivating in 2 minutes than Bronco was in 10 years. He's a salesman."

For better or worse, Sitake is a stark contrast from the stoic Mendenhall, BYU's coach the last 11 years who took the Virginia job two months ago. At least for now, until BYU loses a game or two, love is flowing freely to and from the football office."

bamf3000
BLUEshirt

Post by bamf3000 »

Even if we have a losing season or 2, I just dont care. I would rather have a coach that motivates and excites fans and the players, than the stoic Bronco any longer. He did a great job of getting us above average winning seasons, but everything just had a "meh" aura around it.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

bamf3000 wrote:Even if we have a losing season or 2, I just dont care. I would rather have a coach that motivates and excites fans and the players, than the stoic Bronco any longer. He did a great job of getting us above average winning seasons, but everything just had a "meh" aura around it.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a winning meh than a losing hurrah.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,