Firesides: Likely Going Away.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Firesides: Likely Going Away.

Post by stuckinbig10country »

First off, I never went to any of the firesides, so I have no first hand knowledge of how they went. Many people who have gone have praised them. Have they outlived their usefulness? I don't know. I think they were a great way for the team to interact with the fan base, especially when they went to new places.

I still don't know why this became such a lightning rod issue. The players were not required to attend or participate. It took place at a time where the alternative was sitting in a hotel room and maybe playing video games, or doing homework (maybe).

Oh, and let's not forget something that should be important to BYU fans/members of the Church: IT WAS A DIRECT ANSWER TO PRAYER!

But apparently, it's too much to ask a return missionary to share a 5 minute talk because it would be too hard to focus on the game. Kalani is the 2nd returned missionary head coach at BYU. My understanding was Bronco didn't take too much time, and it was a basic gospel principle every time. Kalani seems to like to talk to people and fans. I think this would be right up his ally.

The positives of the firesides seem to outweigh the negatives by a lot. Interaction with fans, advancing the cause of the university/church, showing that football isn't the end all be all (which is actually an important lesson), oh and the fact that without firesides Kyle Van Noy never plays at BYU (and given his history, likely makes some pretty bad choices).

But hey, what do I know.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Firesides: Likely Going Away.

Post by EM_Puma »

I have mixed feelings because I did always wonder if such events took the team's focus away from the game, but as has been pointed out, what else would these players be doing that would really add to their ability to win the game that week?

I went to one of the firesides and I liked it. It was well received by the fan base abroad and there have been countless associated "good feeling" stories that have come from them. I don't think I would dismiss the idea if my only feeling was that the players should be focusing on the game only on the night before.

I've had a day to ponder this topic and I actually believe that KS should continue to support this idea and then make a decision rather than simply rejecting it because it had nothing to do with the game-at-hand. Continue a tradition and then evaluate it with tangible evidence. I believe this is too big of a decision to make without ever having experienced the event.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I am not happy with this direction. I attended two of them. I think it is good for recruiting, the church and for the players. It is only an hour long. Cut down their time if it is a distraction. Maybe make it a testimony meeting or more music but keep it.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I've always liked the firesides, they were an important fan experience and recruiting tool.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Another point is that it grows our fan base. At Boise it was telecasted to a number of stake centers in the area. We need to get more of the casual fans/members excited. KS can do that.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

I agree with you guys. Everything I could ever see about the firesides was good. Even the fact that it got the goats of the red devils to the north was a positive. Maybe that is where KC got the negative attitude about them, but I think he should reconsider. BYU is a unique place with a unique mission, which should always be the prime focus of our flagship program. The firesides have always performed very well in that regard (the mission of BYU), and have many upsides. I think if KC would try it before abandoning, he would find that there really is no downside.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

scott715 wrote:Another point is that it grows our fan base. At Boise it was telecasted to a number of stake centers in the area. We need to get more of the casual fans/members excited. KS can do that.
You are absolutely right. I grew up in Boise. Although I was interested in BYU, I was more a Boise State fan until I got some positive exposure to BYU by watching BYU (with Dick Namelka and Jeff Congdon) play in and win the NIT. I have been a blue goggled BYU homer ever since. Obviously, that was before they became a national power, but that positive experience has made all the difference. Ask Kyle VanNoy if one positive experience can change a mindset and attitude, and turn a life in a whole different direction.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I'd absolutely keep them. In addition to what's been said I really liked hearing about the non Mormon players that talked at them about their faith even if it wasn't the Mormon faith.

Giving a group of 18-23 year old guys something positive to do on a Friday night when they're all hanging out together out of town can't be a bad thing.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

My son-in-law is not a BYU fan but loves college football and sports in general. He grew up in a very dysfunctional environment, made a friend in high school and was basically taken in by this friend's family and was converted to the Gospel, and was baptized at 18, and was off serving a mission a year or so later. He and my youngest daughter were married a little over 3 years ago and I have done my best to convince him that becoming a blue-goggled BYU homer would put the finishing touches on his true conversion. We have been to several football and basketball games these past 3 years, but he always stood firm in his anti-BYU stance. He is a huge Nebraska fan and as a surprise anniversary present my daughter got him tickets to the BYU/Nebraska game in Lincoln last year. I convinced them to attend the fireside the night before the game, and they took me up on the suggestion. When they came home, my son-in-law went on and on about the fireside. Yes the game and the hail-mary and all that was amazing, but it was the fireside that truly made the biggest impression. My son-in-law saw Bronco in an entirely different light, saw the program in an entirely different light, and gained a completely newfound respect for BYU and it's student-athletes. IMO I would hate to see this part of the program go by the wayside.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Anyone who has not been to a fireside cannot appreciate how great they are and what a truly outstanding person Bronco is.

See what I wrote here about my fireside experience before the Missouri game:

http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p218205

Without the fireside I'm not sure the rest of the pre-game activities even occur. And Nick Kurtz (non-LDS) said that while he was being recruited by BYU all of his friends told him how big of a mistake it would be but that they were all wrong! "I wouldn't get a chance to talk in front of a large crowd at another school" (estimated 1,500 people packed into the stake center).

I'm sorry, but this is really going to rub me the wrong way if the firesides go away. I know it was a Bronco thing and he wants everyone to know that he's not Bronco, but my opinion of him just went down if they go away.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins