Firesides: Likely Going Away.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Firesides: Likely Going Away.

Post by Gunk »

I tend to agree with Sitake.

While I see the benefit of the firesides and no-question have they provided some wonderful moments, it's another thing that has to be coordinated and it does get a player's mind off the game.

What I hope is a few are still sprinkled throughout the year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SkystheLimit »

Having never been to one of the fire sides, I don't know what their value is, but it did seem that both the fans and players liked them. My hope would be that Sitake talks to the players to find out what they think before making a final decision on it. If the players felt like it was a distraction, then perhaps it would be a good thing to discontinue us them.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I've come to the decision that I'm just gonna hold off on knee-jerk reactions to news re: Sitake this first year (point of note--has it been confirmed that the firesides are done with, or is this just a rumor still?).

Even if the firesides go away, we've yet to hear if there will be something different or not, so it seems like a lot of wasted effort and emotion to critique every move he makes before we have the full context of what's going on. I'm just as guilty as the worst, but I'm gonna sit on my hands for a while now.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

snoscythe wrote:I've come to the decision that I'm just gonna hold off on knee-jerk reactions to news re: Sitake this first year (point of note--has it been confirmed that the firesides are done with, or is this just a rumor still?).

Even if the firesides go away, we've yet to hear if there will be something different or not, so it seems like a lot of wasted effort and emotion to critique every move he makes before we have the full context of what's going on. I'm just as guilty as the worst, but I'm gonna sit on my hands for a while now.
Good point Sno...I know I've been less impressed by this hire than most, but I'm probably being overly critical. Maybe he will perform better as a head coach than he did as a coordinator, and we already know he can recruit pretty well.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

My hope is that when KS reads this thread, which we all know he checks CougarCorner daily, he will reconsider and try out the firesides for awhile, or at least give the matter some serious consideration.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Brayden Green wrote:
Fido wrote:Everyone doesn't do things the same way. I'll trust him with the leeway to do what he feels is most important.

Edit note: It let me up vote my own post to counteract the down vote someone gave me. :lol:
Someone downvoted that? Ha.
I know, right? Talk about being punished for not following the group-think all the time. :lol:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

HoosierCougar wrote:I lived in Nebraska for a long time... my good friend is the Stake Prez who hosted the fireside. I asked him for his honest assessment. And he's not a huge sports fan. Just not his nature. I can promise you he'll not be posting on a fan page.
He said "the fireside was amazing". Packed into the stake center with all the overflow filled. And broadcast to multiple other stake centers in the region.

Said the talks were "pretty good" which meant they weren't profound, rather aimed at not requiring too much work.
His fave part was the Q&A and "the closing prayer by a non member player" (see, he didn't know who Blackmon is!).

I talked to several other friends. And I'll tell you that even among members in NE, there's a bit of an anti-BYU sentiment. Mostly driven by the "zoobie" stereotypes, but also by the perception that NU is a better school than BYU (debatable by program IMHO). So there are a lot of kids who grow up there and become huge Husker fans, despite a formidable BYU pedigree. One friend had his son ask a question that Mitch Matthews answered. There are now 5 boys and a little girl in that family who are committed Cougars. While none will likely play D1 athletics, they are solidified in their fandom. #worthit

I'd like to see the players' council tell KS that it's worth it and to give it a year before he disbands the practice.
+1000! And these firesides require very little prep. At the Mizzou fireside one of the players said he prepared his talk on the team bus to the fireside! 5 minutes out of his game prep time. It's something that could easily be prepped for on Sundays when there is no other game prep. Come on guys. I've only heard weak excuses so far as to why it should not be continued.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The only question I have is the team seems flat at the start of the game. Change up the pre game warm up. Run through a wall and then start the game.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Well, Bronco was also flat emotionally. I liked a lot of things about him, but I couldn't stand how he would just have this blank stare when things would go incredibly wrong. I see no reason why we can't both have a fireside the night before and come out on game day emotionally ready to kick some a$$!

I mean, church ball starts with a prayer and ends in a fight! So obviously Mormons know how to be both spiritual and a fighter!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

byufan4ever wrote:Well, Bronco was also flat emotionally. I liked a lot of things about him, but I couldn't stand how he would just have this blank stare when things would go incredibly wrong.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,