Taysom Hill or Tanner Mangum?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Taysom Hill or Tanner Mangum?

Post by Fido »

So Ben Criddle's show today was all about if Taysom Hill is your guy or if Tanner Mangum is the focus of the preparation going into spring practice. But word is this:
Hill will not be cleared for spring ball and might not be ready for August 1? I don't know how you can prepare for him to be your QB then.

Another point is if he has been talking to Virginia and Michigan as has been said, he would have had to ask for a release and been given permission to talk to other programs since he is still on scholarship and not graduated.

I don't think Taysom works out at BYU--they need to prep for Mangum to be your #1 and if Hill is still around in the fall, great. If not, they aren't stuck.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Taysom Hill or Tanner Mangum?

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep, if Taysom can't fully participate in spring ball you have to go through spring with Tanner as the No. 1 QB. Hopefully he can participate in non-contact drills as that would probably allow him to remain in the running for the starter.

But if he's not there at all, I don't see how you can fully incorporate him. He'll find himself even further behind.

Detmer has also said they'd prefer to know what he plans before spring ball.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Please clarify... A coach or another school cannot speak with a student athlete at another school. Does that stipulation also apply to the athlete? Or can he initiate communication, but is restricted regarding any transfer without a release?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Fido wrote:So Ben Criddle's show today was all about if Taysom Hill is your guy or if Tanner Mangum is the focus of the preparation going into spring practice. But word is this:
Hill will not be cleared for spring ball and might not be ready for August 1? I don't know how you can prepare for him to be your QB then.

Another point is if he has been talking to Virginia and Michigan as has been said, he would have had to ask for a release and been given permission to talk to other programs since he is still on scholarship and not graduated.

I don't think Taysom works out at BYU--they need to prep for Mangum to be your #1 and if Hill is still around in the fall, great. If not, they aren't stuck.
This twitter account is a parody account and although the person who uses it tries to hide it is not actually Talo. Consider it no better than any Joe Schmoe fan tweeting his opinion.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote: Consider it no better than any Joe Schmoe fan tweeting his opinion.
Hey!! :angry:

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote: Consider it no better than any Joe Schmoe fan tweeting his opinion.
Hey!! :angry:
You're right, I must apologize, consider it BETTER than Schmoe's opinion! ;) :lol: :evil:

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Per Criddle, if Hill is under scholarship to BYU and has not graduated (he hasn't), he can only talk with Jason Beck (Virginia), or Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) or any other college coach about a transfer if he has requested a release and has permission to talk to them from BYU.

Whether or not the twitter account is real, if Taysom is not able to go in the spring you have to act like he won't be available and get Mangum, Hodge, etc. ready. There has been no indication what kind of timeline Taysom Hill has for recovery from his injury and that worries me greatly.

At some point Taysom is the player he is now--not the player he once was or could have been. It's sad but true.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Fido wrote:
At some point Taysom is the player he is now--not the player he once was or could have been. It's sad but true.
Why then would BYU care?

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

We have a new staff that will be implementing a new offense. If Hill isn't ready to go in time for Spring, IMO he shouldn't be the #1 QB. We'll need as much time as possible to get ready. Practicing with one QB and then throwing in a new one a month before the season starts is a bad move. I hope the staff isn't even considering it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I would make Taysom earn the job. Tanner earned the right to be starter. If Taysom can get healthy and outplay Tanner, then great. But he has lost the right to the starting spot. He can't be relied on at the quarterback position as the leader of your offense and team.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: