NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

Post by KingCoug »

On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.

Utah has 6. Utah St has 3. SUU has 3.

How many did BYU have? 1. (Bronson Kafusi)

Reason #137 I'm glad the old coaching staff is gone.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

Post by ABYUFAN »

KingCoug wrote:On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.

Two questions - 1) who do you think should have been invited but wasn't?
2) how was it Bronco's fault that they weren't invited?

* Edit - for example an argument could be made that Matthews should have been invited to the camp, and maybe Sampson, but I'm not sure how Bronco is to blame for that oversight.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

It'll be interesting to me what the people who are crowing about being glad Bronco is gone will say if/when Virginia wins more games than BYU next year.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote:
KingCoug wrote:On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.

Two questions - 1) who do you think should have been invited but wasn't?
2) how was it Bronco's fault that they weren't invited?

* Edit - for example an argument could be made that Matthews should have been invited to the camp, and maybe Sampson, but I'm not sure how Bronco is to blame for that oversight.
It goes to the point of the number of BYU players going to the NFL really dropping off during Bronco's tenure and his staff's ability to develop players. Or did you just conveniently not notice that?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

This highlights Bronco's ability to get more out of less able players. We can only hope that the new coaching staff can continue to do the same unless our recruiting can improve dramatically.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

hawkwing wrote:This highlights Bronco's ability to get more out of less able players. We can only hope that the new coaching staff can continue to do the same unless our recruiting can improve dramatically.
I suppose that's the glass is half full way of looking at it. I see it as a problem with his recruiting and development of players which, by the way, in part explains the Utes success against us.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

What I want to know is why weren't those SUU players on the roster. If they aren't LDS, I get it. If they are LDS, what this attests to is an inability to spot talent.

Come on guys. SUU has more players in the combine than BYU. That should NEVER happen for two reasons:
1) They should be on BYU's roster
2) BYU is a bigger/better program

Why make excuses for Bronco? He left BYU and he sucked at getting players to the NFL. He practically admitted as such. Rather than sell a dream he brought a strong dose of reality, complete with percentages and charts with him on recruiting trips - here kid, let me tell you why your dream is a fool's errand.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

frdbtr wrote:It'll be interesting to me what the people who are crowing about being glad Bronco is gone will say if/when Virginia wins more games than BYU next year.
I'm not sure what your point is. Bronco's success or failure at Virginia and what he did here is apples and bowling balls. He could go undefeated there and it wouldn't change the fact that he hit a plateau - more like a wall - after 2009. In fact, the best thing you can say about his last 6 years at BYU was that he fielded a legit top 10 defense in 2012. But if course it went largely to waste because of our inept offense.
Gunk wrote:What I want to know is why weren't those SUU players on the roster. If they aren't LDS, I get it. If they are LDS, what this attests to is an inability to spot talent.

Come on guys. SUU has more players in the combine than BYU. That should NEVER happen for two reasons:
1) They should be on BYU's roster
2) BYU is a bigger/better program

Why make excuses for Bronco? He left BYU and he sucked at getting players to the NFL. He practically admitted as such. Rather than sell a dream he brought a strong dose of reality, complete with percentages and charts with him on recruiting trips - here kid, let me tell you why your dream is a fool's errand.

All good questions. But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.

It's very simple. If we want to play with the big boys, we need to act like we belong. That means we match most P5 schools in recruiting. And the ones we don't we beat with superior preparation and scheme. It means we beat P5 and ranked teams at least as often as we lose to them. And it sure as heck means we don't lose to Utah 5 times in a row.

Bronco did none of that.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

KingCoug wrote: But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.
At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
MileHighCougarFan
Recruit

Post by MileHighCougarFan »

I can see the frustration. But I think a few things should be considered.

First, without injuries, players dropping out/not playing, etc., at least two other players likely would have been part of the combine. Namely Taysom and Jamaal. And with a few more games we could definitely had a tight-end in the mix.

We had a young offense and have a lot of upcoming talent.

Attending the combine is not a guarantee of anything, other than having a stage to exhibit talent and abilities. It is not the only stage, but certainly an important one.

I have very high hopes that at least one WR will slip in the back door and get looked at.