2016 Projected Wins

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 Projected Wins

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I think the top ceiling is ten wins, and the worst would be 6. I'm thinking 8-10 is where it will go.

Transposing the Utah Sitake D to inform the Arizona game is too far apples and oranges.

I think it will likely be just kind of a wild year. It will have some element of beating AZ, losing to Toledo, beating MSU, or some other unholy disharmony.

But I guarantee you this: there will be at least one complete knock-out against a top tier opponent where BYU just clicks and looks unstoppable. I hope it comes in week 2 baby.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:I think the top ceiling is ten wins, and the worst would be 6. I'm thinking 8-10 is where it will go.

Transposing the Utah Sitake D to inform the Arizona game is too far apples and oranges.

I think it will likely be just kind of a wild year. It will have some element of beating AZ, losing to Toledo, beating MSU, or some other unholy disharmony.

But I guarantee you this: there will be at least one complete knock-out against a top tier opponent where BYU just clicks and looks unstoppable. I hope it comes in week 2 baby.
I hope we look unstoppable in week 2 too, but that wouldn't be a knock out game versus a top tier opponent...

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:I discount the opinion of anyone who can't even spell our head coach's name correctly.
Oh because knowing how to spell the name of a coach who has only been the coach for a couple of months is the only thing that matters in an opinion. Yeah, that is intelligent.
6 months, not 2. Yes, it is intelligent to discount a lazy opinion, as opposed to an educated one.
Sweet! I agree. Discounting an opinion because of a spelling error is a Lazy opinion. You are exactly right!

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

TheDean wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:I just don't see how we win the Arizona game. It's essentially an away game. First game under totally new coaching staff with VERY LITTLE coaching experience. New offensive system. New defensive system. And Arizona is probably better than most of you are giving them credit for.
An away game when it is played in Provo. :lol:

I stand bye my 8 win season for BYU.
Sweet, BYU has home games in Arizona now!!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

TheDean wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:I just don't see how we win the Arizona game. It's essentially an away game. First game under totally new coaching staff with VERY LITTLE coaching experience. New offensive system. New defensive system. And Arizona is probably better than most of you are giving them credit for.

There is more experience than you think as Sitake has coached defensively against Arizona the last 6 years with Utah 5 years and Oregon St. 1 year. Remember as a new coaching staff Arizona won't know how to coach against BYU.

I stand bye my 8 win season for BYU.
Take our current coaching staff. If other ADs were looking at their resumes how many of them would have been hired at the positions that BYU hired them at? Not many! In time they MAY be decent/good coaches, but there's no way you can guarantee that they're going to look like a polished team coming out of the gates on game #1.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Mars wrote:
Arizona is over-rated, IMO.

They beat Utah in 2OT, yes. But they lost to UCLA by 26 points, lost to Stanford by 38 points, lost to Washington by 46 points, and lost to Arizona State by 15. Lost to Washington State, lost to USC, beat Colorado by 7.

They really only made a bowl game by playing UTSA and NAU.
I would be stunned if the Arizona game isn't a shootout. Even with a new DC, there isn't much talent on Arizona's defense, especially in the front 7. BYU should have their way offensively.

But Kalani's defensive track record vs. Rich Rod's Arizona was downright awful.

From 2012-2014, Kalani had 6 guys on his defense that were drafted in the NFL. Arizona had 1 offensive player drafted. Yet here's how it went down:

2012 game: Arizona won 34-24 in Salt Lake. It could have been worse but Arizona fumbled inside the Utah 7. Arizona had 480 total yards including 320 yards rushing averaging 7 yards per carry. Arizona outscored Utah 17-0 in the 4th quarter.

2013 game: Arizona won 35-24. Arizona had 468 total yards including 300 yards rushing for 5.2 yards per carry. Arizona outscored Utah 15-3 in the 4th quarter.

2014 game: Arizona won 42-10 in Salt Lake. Arizona had 520 total yards including 298 yards rushing for 6.3 yards per carry. Arizona outscored Utah 21-0 in the 4th quarter.

2015 Kalani moves to OSU: Arizona won 44-7 with 644 yards of offense including 368 rushing yards at 6.3 yards per carry. Kalani did manage to shut out Arizona in the 4th quarter.

I hope for BYU's sake that:

1. Tuiaki is a better DC than what Kalani was (at least against up tempo spread teams).
2. Kalani does not use Utah's S&C program at BYU. Otherwise, Arizona is going to score 3 TDs in the 4th quarter this year.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Yeah, Kalani sure does know Arizona's offense well, doesn't he? He knows how to let them walk and score all over him! There's that key coaching experience!!

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I just, yeah. Got me there. Maybe the random impressive win over a quality opponent will come with Mississippi State coming to Provo. I would very much be down with that. Demfools in Mississippitown know dat football.