2016 Projected Wins

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 Projected Wins

Post by BoiseBYU »

I project more wins than Trump gets electoral votes.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

frdbtr wrote:
Schmoe wrote:With all the talent and experience this team will have, I will be disappointed if the best we can do is .500
Talent and experience means nothing if the coaches don't know how to use it. All the rookie coaching we have IMO makes it highly unlikely that they will know how to use it...
I agree, but I don't know that they get things figured out in just a few weeks. If the talent and experience we have gets squandered (ie-6 wins), I'll be disappointed.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.

Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.

There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

ABYUFAN wrote:I project us winning 9 games this year... so there
If the OL and DL stay healthy, and Taysom regains his running prowess and stays healthy, then I would expect 9:3, and entertain hope for more.

Also, BYU will take care of the ball and punk the Utes, even at their field with PAC refs, and even without Taysom. The Uties can never win unless they get at least three short fields or immediate scores off TO's. In Vegas, they would have gone down by 42 to 10, or maybe zero, without the TO's.
Last edited by BOID on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Brayden Green wrote:Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.

Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.

There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.
Many posters have already pointed out that the cupboard is full of talent for the coming year. Switching defenses simply because it's what you want to run, especially if you don't have the personnel, is a coaching blunder (Bronco found that out after a season or two). Run the defense you have the talent for, then recruit the talent you need to run a different one down the line.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.

Many posters have already pointed out that the cupboard is full of talent for the coming year. Switching defenses simply because it's what you want to run, especially if you don't have the personnel, is a coaching blunder (Bronco found that out after a season or two). Run the defense you have the talent for, then recruit the talent you need to run a different one down the line.
Long reply got eaten. The TL;DR version:

The fear isn't in changing schemes. We have always had the talent to run 4-3. We have no problem getting big fatties to plug on the line. The fear is in changing philosophies, from a zone to man. I think it is the right thing to do, but we need more speed to do it. Bronco emphasized position knowledge and mastery over skill and talent and recruited those kind of players, and it seems like Kalani and Tuiaki will be at the complete other end of that spectrum, because of the difference of their philosophies. Bronco and Sitake/Tuiaki could both run the same set of packages and get different results.

Kalani, Ty and Tuiaki are much better at evaluating talent than Bronco, Anae, and __INSERT_FAKE_PROXY_DC_HERE__ ever were. (See: Moving Kaufusi from defensive end to OLB so that he can "Cast Shadows", Ansah wasting away behind Manumaleuna, etc, the tight end disappearing - which is arguably the most NFL traditioned and rich position for the cougars in the last 2 or 3 decades, etc etc).

I trust they will do the best for the players to get them to where they will play. And I agree with their and Ty's evaluation of who BYU is and who we should be. I think that Ty and Kalani have a better understanding of BYU than Bronco and Anae ever did, and that bodes well for us.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I believe the long reply that was eaten was accidentally posted as a report rather than a quote, so it came to me and the moderators as a report on a "problem" post, but it was obviously meant to be a reply to Schmoe's post.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:I believe the long reply that was eaten was accidentally posted as a report rather than a quote, so it came to me and the moderators as a report on a "problem" post, but it was obviously meant to be a reply to Schmoe's post.
flaws.jpg

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

Long reply got eaten. The TL;DR version:

The fear isn't in changing schemes. We have always had the talent to run 4-3. We have no problem getting big fatties to plug on the line. The fear is in changing philosophies, from a zone to man. I think it is the right thing to do, but we need more speed to do it. Bronco emphasized position knowledge and mastery over skill and talent and recruited those kind of players, and it seems like Kalani and Tuiaki will be at the complete other end of that spectrum, because of the difference of their philosophies. Bronco and Sitake/Tuiaki could both run the same set of packages and get different results.

Kalani, Ty and Tuiaki are much better at evaluating talent than Bronco, Anae, and __INSERT_FAKE_PROXY_DC_HERE__ ever were. (See: Moving Kaufusi from defensive end to OLB so that he can "Cast Shadows", Ansah wasting away behind Manumaleuna, etc, the tight end disappearing - which is arguably the most NFL traditioned and rich position for the cougars in the last 2 or 3 decades, etc etc).

I trust they will do the best for the players to get them to where they will play. And I agree with their and Ty's evaluation of who BYU is and who we should be. I think that Ty and Kalani have a better understanding of BYU than Bronco and Anae ever did, and that bodes well for us.
There is absolutely no evidence that this statement is true. 10 years from now we will know, but right now it is an opinion devoid of factual evidence.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Y'all have looked at the schedule, right? There is a chance we go into the Toledo game 0-4, with next win not being until November.

I don't see that as likely, but each of the first 4 games are 50/50 at best. I believe the offense will be fine, because Taysom and Tanner are great and I firmly believe Ty will be an amazing college coordinator. I worry about the defense a lot.

I believe this is the most talented team BYU has ever had, but this schedule is crazy tough. When you go into a season with a bunch of 50/50 games, you tend to come out with between 5 and 7 wins.