2016 Projected Wins

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 Projected Wins

Post by ABYUFAN »

scott715 wrote:But I liked Dean's thinking. We should have 8 home games. Cue in the Bib to rant on this issue.
Where is the thumbs up button when I need one?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:BYU would have a better chance against Utah State if Chuckie were back, Keeton never beat BYU and in fact never played well against the Cougar defense.
Against the Bronco Mendenhall led cougar defense. This defense is a complete unknown.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

byufan4ever wrote:I just don't see how we win the Arizona game. It's essentially an away game. First game under totally new coaching staff with VERY LITTLE coaching experience. New offensive system. New defensive system. And Arizona is probably better than most of you are giving them credit for.
Since it's the first game, it has the highest likelihood of having Taysom Hill on the field. So, to win, you:
  1. give him the ball
  2. have everyone else go hit someone
  3. go back to 1.
Sure, maybe it's a shootout. But if you've got Taysom Hill, you should be able to score enough points to win.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Arizona is over-rated, IMO.

They beat Utah in 2OT, yes. But they lost to UCLA by 26 points, lost to Stanford by 38 points, lost to Washington by 46 points, and lost to Arizona State by 15. Lost to Washington State, lost to USC, beat Colorado by 7.

They really only made a bowl game by playing UTSA and NAU.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

I should add, just because a system is new, doesn't mean it won't work. Gary Crowton's first year offense was the best in the entire country. Bronco Mendenhall's first year defense was #14 nationally. Sometimes there are growing pains because of a new system, but other times the novelty allows it to over-perform until people can make appropriate adjustments.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

redneckjedi wrote:I should add, just because a system is new, doesn't mean it won't work. Gary Crowton's first year offense was the best in the entire country. Bronco Mendenhall's first year defense was #14 nationally. Sometimes there are growing pains because of a new system, but other times the novelty allows it to over-perform until people can make appropriate adjustments.
Both of those coaches had been coaching those positions for years. Crowton had been an Ocoordinator in the NFL and his NFL offense was top rated his first year as the ocoordinator. Bronco had been running the NM defense himself for years before coming to BYU. No one on this BYU coaching staff is proven at his position at all. This offense may end up being really good, Ty might end up being the best BYU ocoordinator since Doug Scovil but it won't happen in game 1, probably not in game 2 either. The defense IMO is the biggest issue. If we had a proven Dcoordinator, we could give the team a shot in games just because the D would keep us in them. I don't see that as being the case. If BYU's defense performs even close to the defense Kalani ran at OState, BYU may only win 1 game next year. (SUU)

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Most significant factor in Crowton's 1st year success = Luke Staley's health

Most significant factor in Ty Detmer's 1st year success = Taysom Hill's health

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:Most significant factor in Crowton's 1st year success = Luke Staley's health

Can't disagree with this at all. Taysom Hill could win some games by himself while Ty is getting into the play calling groove. It all depends on the defense though. BYU won't be winning any games if the defense is giving up 30+ points per game.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:Most significant factor in Crowton's 1st year success = Luke Staley's health

This post would get a thumbs up if I had it in place.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:I should add, just because a system is new, doesn't mean it won't work. Gary Crowton's first year offense was the best in the entire country. Bronco Mendenhall's first year defense was #14 nationally. Sometimes there are growing pains because of a new system, but other times the novelty allows it to over-perform until people can make appropriate adjustments.
Both of those coaches had been coaching those positions for years. Crowton had been an Ocoordinator in the NFL and his NFL offense was top rated his first year as the ocoordinator. Bronco had been running the NM defense himself for years before coming to BYU. No one on this BYU coaching staff is proven at his position at all. This offense may end up being really good, Ty might end up being the best BYU ocoordinator since Doug Scovil but it won't happen in game 1, probably not in game 2 either. The defense IMO is the biggest issue. If we had a proven Dcoordinator, we could give the team a shot in games just because the D would keep us in them. I don't see that as being the case. If BYU's defense performs even close to the defense Kalani ran at OState, BYU may only win 1 game next year. (SUU)
Amen!! Agree with everything except for the "may only win 2 game next year." I do believe Sitake will get us emotionally ready to finally beat the Utes!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins