Kaufusi is officially on both football and basketball teams

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kaufusi is officially on both football and basketball teams

Post by Schmoe »

I'm just excited for him to block some kicks!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

BYULV wrote:I think it's a good move for him and the teams. He was not becoming our go to center and with Mika coming back would likely still be a backup. He will still be able to be a benefit to the BBall team, we can definitely use depth like that as well as benefitting the football team. He will possibly make an immediate impact on the d-line.

One other advantage for Rose is it will free up a scholarship for the BBALL team as the scholarship comes from the earliest sport you play (I believe thats how it works). The football team on the other hand might have to cut one more person. Maybe his case is different though, since he will be a junior in BBall and a sophomore in football.
The problem for basketball is that he's only available for the second half of the season and he'll take weeks to get into basketball shape enough to where he can be of much use. Yes, fortunately it won't take up a scholarship. He can probably make the transition better than Bronson did however. So it might be ok considering we will have Mika and Dastrup. It would be really bad for basketball if we didn't have those guys though.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Honestly, he's not likely to be playing either one professionally--but few are. His best bet at pro-ball given his athleticism and body type is maybe V-ball.
So this is a good move--he can play two sports and enjoy both of them. Things are definitely not going to pan out professionally for B-Ball, but there's a slight chance they may for football. And playing B-Ball in reserve minutes will match with the shortened bursts his body will be trained for in football. He won't have the stamina to play in long stretches, but will be an imposing presence to give Mika some breathing time and lay a hurt on somebody--in the most sportsmanlike way possible. :)

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK