Pre-Game Firesides to Continue, but Differently

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pre-Game Firesides to Continue, but Differently

Post by frdbtr »

If this coaching staff doesn't have the ability to lead BYU to wins, it won't matter who they send to the firesides. No one will want to go.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
hawkwing wrote:They will also announce that firesides will continue to be the night before the games, but it will be held by a local bishop in the area and no one from the team will be there!
That'll get people excited! Then when people don't show up to see the long snapper from the '98 team talk about his current non-football job, they'll cancel them altogether due to "lack of interest"
Is the long snapper from the '98 team any less exciting than the long snapper from this year's team?

I think most people upset about the fireside changes are people who haven't been to one in a couple of years. It's not the stars of the team giving talks or singing....it's usually some 2nd or 3rd string guys who you didn't know were on the team until you showed up at the chapel and some of the coaches. While a good experience, there is generally a feeling of let down when you realize that nearly all of the players you hoped to see stayed at the hotel to watch film.

I think all the changes (player firesides in Spring along with fanfests, alumni firesides in Fall, and other yet to be announced changes) when taken as a whole will be marked improvement over what BYU did in 2015 under Bronco. Firesides were dying on the vine anyway, and I'd rather the team spend the night before in the hotel together preparing for the game anyways. I think this might be just what the teams needs to avoid the slow starts in games that plagued the team under Bronco and his fireside regimen.

There was a time and a place for player firesides before games, but that was over a decade ago when Bronco was trying to re-center the program around its values. Job done, and time to move on.
I don't believe that you've actually been to a fireside. At the Mizzou fireside both Mangum and Hill were there, not just 3rd stringers. I want to see the players that are about to play the game I'm going to attend. I want to CONNECT with them! They announced that the Mizzou fireside was broadcast to something like half a dozen filled out stake centers! That doesn't sound like dying on a vine to me! Nick Kurtz (non-LDS) stated that he wouldn't get the fireside experience at any other school and he was glad for it. So not all of the players hate it either.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I went to the one at UCLA and several years later at UVA. Both were terrific, especially the more recent UVA fireside. Kyle Van Noy wasnt' there (turns out he was interviewing with Jeff Benedict) at the time, but Taysom and Cody were. My boys were thrilled. Bronco was gracious afterwards (1-on-1 is much better for introverts), and I came away thinking that even if we lost the game the next day, the drive and game ticket price were worth it just to bring my family to that fireside.
...I had to remind myself of that the next evening after that cold, soaked, unlucky loss.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK